Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What film have you just watched?

Bohemian Rhapsody

Does everything you want from a musical bio. film (despite May and Taylor being naked as exec. producers, Gawd ‘elp us).

Took me right back to my spotty goof days.... flares, platforms, 3 Durex for 50p from the ladies loo in the Fforde Grene pub’s music bar...

Loved it!
Just got in from seeing it, went after remembrance on Plymouth Hoe ( the name has taken on new meaning since the advent of gangsta culture, any jollies on here might have fond...or not...memories). Anyway, I liked it and would see it again. Without a doubt though, the film dodged a bullet by getting rid of Borat, I thought Rami Malek did an excellent job.

They Shall Not Grow Old on BBC2.
I let out a gasp when the footage transformed into colour.
Just brilliant.

Edit to add: get it bloody watched.

It went to colour roughly 15-20min into it, and added to that, and the commentary which was recorded by still living veterans (as Peter Jackson said in interview, let the veterans tell their own story in their own words) of the conflict in a BBC series from the 1960's, was the albeit perfect soundtrack added by using forensic lipreaders. The footage was analysed for what the soldiers were saying, then where possible, capbadges were identified, and voice actors were used with the same regional accents. Battle soundscape was added where appropriate, and (for me) for the first time, the old speeded up black and white silent footage literally transformed and brought these ghosts to life, seen by us like this for the first time..

The last credit on the programme was poignant:

"Filmed on Location on the Western Front, 1914-1918"

It went to colour roughly 15-20min into it, and added to that, and the commentary which was recorded by still living veterans (as Peter Jackson said in interview, let the veterans tell their own story in their own words) of the conflict in a BBC series from the 1960's, was the albeit perfect soundtrack added by using forensic lipreaders. The footage was analysed for what the soldiers were saying, then where possible, capbadges were identified, and voice actors were used with the same regional accents. Battle soundscape was added where appropriate, and (for me) for the first time, the old speeded up black and white silent footage literally transformed and brought these ghosts to life, seen by us like this for the first time..

The last credit on the programme was poignant:

"Filmed on Location on the Western Front, 1914-1918"
Have to agree with your every word, I found the whole film mesmerising and many tears ensued, tremendous work by all those involved in the production. A fitting tribute to all those who served.

Have to agree with your every word, I found the whole film mesmerising and many tears ensued, tremendous work by all those involved in the production. A fitting tribute to all those who served.

As much as I enjoyed Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, I do feel that he has surpassed himself with this one - it really did bring the Great War to life in a way I never thought possible to see and also showed the respect that he has for those who fought.

A fitting tribute indeed.

I hope he is remembered for this film at least as much as he is for his other epics.

Just brilliant.

Completely agree, It looked like they cut from original B&W footage to a modern reconstruction it was that good.

It was also interesting listening to the recorded memoirs. Some of them I was quite familiar with as I'd previously read them. What I found interesting was the difference in perception from the written word and the actual audio record of the narrator. Some of them can feel quite cold & matter of fact when you read the text but add the emotion of the voice and it completely changes it.

Just brilliant.

I watched that in HD on the relevant BBC channel - it was jaw dropping, informative, and so bloody sad all at the same time.

I've seen the black and white footage before, but having it in colour brought it to horrific light. Especially when they showed the dead and mutilated corpses of men and horses.

I was in awe of what the blokes had to put up with, some of whom were members of my family.

12 Strong.

American Speshul Forces go to Afghanistan to help unite the Northern Alliances' disparate factions to fight the Taliban by offering bombing support and riding around on horses.

Total & utter dreck from start to finish. I'm not aware of the "true" story behind this film but I'm sure it never played out anything like the depiction of this turd of a film.
The script is akin to a US soap opera and everything is played as a melodrama.

What I did find interesting was the ability to call in a B52 strike within 30 seconds of being told what they want you to flatten. Chris Hemsworth must have had that B52 on the end of a piece of string like a party balloon.

Also the "Baddy" looked like an evil Disney Genie, said fcuk all but stared in there direction a lot. He stopped short of rubbing his hands together and going "Muuahahahaha!" But only just.

Avoid like the plague.

Just brilliant.

Just watched .... uninterrupted on BBC IPlayer ... absolutely riveting . As others have said the addition of colour and sympathetically adding voice to some of the troops captured on film just takes this production to another level .

Lest we forget .

I watched Black Klansman last night because the Mrs for some reason thought it was a comedy and brought it home. Overall it wasn’t a bad at all, loosely based on a. book of the same name about a young black officers early career with a Colorado police department. The only part that I didn’t enjoy was the end after the main film concludes where Spike Lee has to throw in his typical usual drivel about society keeping the brothers down.

The clip at the end was a white man running over and killing a white woman, I think his point was that crazy is still alive and well in America.

12 Strong.

American Speshul Forces go to Afghanistan to help unite the Northern Alliances' disparate factions to fight the Taliban by offering bombing support and riding around on horses.

Total & utter dreck from start to finish. I'm not aware of the "true" story behind this film but I'm sure it never played out anything like the depiction of this turd of a film.
The script is akin to a US soap opera and everything is played as a melodrama.

What I did find interesting was the ability to call in a B52 strike within 30 seconds of being told what they want you to flatten. Chris Hemsworth must have had that B52 on the end of a piece of string like a party balloon.

Also the "Baddy" looked like an evil Disney Genie, said fcuk all but stared in there direction a lot. He stopped short of rubbing his hands together and going "Muuahahahaha!" But only just.

Avoid like the plague.
How Accurate is 12 Strong? The True Story of the Real Horse Soldiers vs the Movie

Interviews - U.s. Special Forces Oda 595 | Campaign Against Terror | FRONTLINE | PBS

They shall not grow old on iPlayer, truly a work of art and a very very emotional and powerful piece of work.

Last edited: