• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What film have you just watched?

Just for a change, off to the cinema for The Death Of Stalin.

Absolutely brilliant - don't miss it whatever you do!

The look and feel of the film captures the period and the scriptwriters captured the paranoia that must have existed at the time to a tee.

Watched Hostiles last night with Christian Bale, Roseamund Pike and Wes Studi. IMDB Linky.

A bit of a steady film with a few bits of excitement. Lots of mumbling instead of clear talk but I went with it. Feck me it was an emotionally brutal film! Had a problem because I watched it on Showbox and there was no subtitles for the Indian speaking parts but I kind of sussed out what was going on. I have to say on reflection I did actually enjoy it and it was definitely worth a watch. Over 2 hours long though.

90 minute documentaries count, so mind's would be Rich Hall's "Countrier than You."
Explodes some myths about the genre, and rather funny too when needed.

Ready Player One

Took my two lads to see it last night. (Also remonstrated with cinema blob about being charged £3.40 for a bag of wine gums -- tit, that I, forget to smuggle them in with me.)

It's an OK film. Full of sly humour/digs at the 80s, it's Spielberg's homage to the decade when he could do no wrong in many ways.

There's nothing wrong with this film apart from two things in the final reel: it is a little too long and needs a re-edit and it has Simon Peg in it. The two lads commented on the sound track being excellent but that that there was something missing from the film but they weren't sure what, I agree with them. There's nothing wrong with this film but it's like a meal where the main course seems to an ingredient missing but but as you've never had the dish before you can't identify it.

It's worth watching but wait for it to hit the cable/satellite providers rather than pay for a seat at the pics and rip-off wine gums. Cineworld are now dead to me, I'm off to the Showcase, down the East Lancs.
Which Cineworld ?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Hurricane heist, on sky. Heavily promoted by sky. Made by sky, pretty awful. Unless you like hurricanes, bleak dystopian landscapes and weird trucks.

Top tip when running about in a hurricane, lean into the wind.

Not a million miles from where you work.

Sintellins? I was there with daughters and friends to some chick flick called love simon.
Watched the trailers then went sleep ten minutes in.

Sintellins? I was there with daughters and friends to some chick flick called love simon.
Watched the trailers then went sleep ten minutes in.
Yup.

My fall-back strategy too when the films is rubbish.

I'm still trying to figure out the Easter eggs in Ready layer One. Cunning beggar, that Spielberg, you're going to have watch the film several times or buy the DVD.

The look and feel of the film captures the period and the scriptwriters captured the paranoia that must have existed at the time to a tee
Mrs Morsk (who was born in the CCCP) tells me that she believes the most of the film to be accurate (like the guy telling the soldiers where to find his Dad etc) but it is a shame that it is american made and therefore the communists are treated like clowns again. apart from that, good film, and I like the lack of Russian accents. Non Ruskies can never do them properly anyway....

American Assasin.

Saw the prieview last year, looked OK bought the book for a long flight.

Book was Ok bit of a weak ending.

Saw the film , not as big a build up of the new assasins training and also the characters were a little weak.

Good points , after each fight, beating the characters have bruising and cuts.

Script was a total 180 from the book which was good.

Stunt driving around Rome, was , well normal Italians driving around Rome.

Few twists and turns.

OK for a mindless hour or so.

The two lads commented on the sound track being excellent but that that there was something missing from the film but they weren't sure what, I agree with them. There's nothing wrong with this film but it's like a meal where the main course seems to an ingredient missing but but as you've never had the dish before you can't identify it.
The level of peril wasn't really consistent between the Oasis and "Real Life".

If IOI had the resources and authority to carry out a raid like they did AND exceed that by the targeted assasination attempt (bringing down the stack) they should have been scarier that they were. Not necessarily the boss himself but his subordinates such as the "loyalty centre" woman. The loyalty centres themselves didn't appear so bad either when you saw inside them. From what you saw Artemis's father could just as easily dropped dead outside. It wasn't incontovertibly IOI's doing and you didn't see it happen to any other characters which would firmly establish IOI as the villains. Perhaps just being big business was all that was required in the target market (Trump Era America) though.

Watched Hostiles last night with Christian Bale, Roseamund Pike and Wes Studi. IMDB Linky.

A bit of a steady film with a few bits of excitement. Lots of mumbling instead of clear talk but I went with it. Feck me it was an emotionally brutal film! Had a problem because I watched it on Showbox and there was no subtitles for the Indian speaking parts but I kind of sussed out what was going on. I have to say on reflection I did actually enjoy it and it was definitely worth a watch. Over 2 hours long though.
Thanks for this post. I tend to wait for the DVD version to appear for those films that I'd want to watch again and again. For reasons of intuition and ignorant of the critics views, I've got this film on my wish list.

The look and feel of the film captures the period and the scriptwriters captured the paranoia that must have existed at the time to a tee.

This is going into my collection when the supermarket prices grow tired. Anything from the creator of the Malcolm Tucker character and has 'Jock' and Italian blood in his veins is worth viewing again and again.

Blade runner 2049 fell asleep half way through
B*gger! Have just rented it from Sky store. Oh well, let’s see how far I manage. Given that the first one is one of my all time favourite films, it sounds like I need to be prepared to be disappointed
If you loved the original you should be alright.
It is long but I was pretty mesmerised by the new one. Seems to have split opinions though: I loved it, each to their own and all that.

Had a couple of movie nights with my big teenage lads recently, during the Easter hols.
Instead of our usual sci-fi superhero stuff they picked “Coco” and “Paddington 2”!
Both bloody brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20180415_171834~01.jpg

Cinema for second night in a row
Ready player one