What film have you just watched?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Vera Cruz starring Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster,not their best work.
Oddly enough I watched a Cooper film last night; 'Distant Drums', about an expedition to destroy a Seminole stronghold in the Floridian Everglades. Not bad for 1951 film. A different sort of western than usual.

Bridge of Spies & Rise of the Footsoldier III.

Both have been discussed here before so no synopsis. However, what is it with Spielberg films, especially those dealing with US politics? For me there is a heavy layer of patriotic nostalgia overlaid on his films that makes me feel I am watching a propaganda film. Anyway, it is a good enough film with Mark Rylance playing the Russian spy, Col. Abel and Tom Hanks playing John Donovan, both well acted. I did have trouble recognising Hanks in some of the shots given the way it was filmed or he is beginning to show his age?

Rise of the Footsoldier III was as I expected having seen the first film. It left me wondering why somebody didn't slot Pat Tate a lot earlier than he was but perhaps the answer lies in the police response to the unintentional death of the drug dealer; it brought the police down hard. Anyway, a good film and worth watching for those who like realistic crime films.

Edited to add: The Hunter's Prayer. In short, don't bother. A story line that has been told many times before and better (hit man can't shoot his target - teenage girl) and both go on run from ruthless business man and his henchmen & woman.

Star Wars:The Last Jedi. About 3 hours of my life that I will not get back.Dross, total dross. Same as the previous one.

Channel-hopped into Missing In Action 3 as I was winding down last night. WTF does Chuck go tonto with?! Looked like a G3 with an extended 30rd mag and the fore-end removed....

...to fit an underslung sawn-off AN/M5...

...which itself appeared to be sporting a M203 or other UGL!!

And it was still a totally pants movie!

Edited to add: and there's also a pants S-62 dressed up as a flippin' Hind, too!

Last edited:
Another one from the golden era when studios wanted to make films that made one think, The Godfather. Parts 2 & 3 are still to come but the version I watched is a restored version done by Coppola and the extras on it are fascinating. Interviews with most of the senior cast, Brando excepted, their screen tests including Brando's (everyone was required to do one for Paramount), stories about how Paramount did not want Pacino (he was a virtual unknown in film land at the time), Coppola elaborating on what he wanted to show over the 3 films and James Caan explaining that he had 147 squibs on him for the shooting scene at the tollbooth and being told just before the scene that that number of squibs had never been used before.

Weapons used in The Godfather

Ready Player One

Took my two lads to see it last night. (Also remonstrated with cinema blob about being charged £3.40 for a bag of wine gums -- tit, that I, forget to smuggle them in with me.)

It's an OK film. Full of sly humour/digs at the 80s, it's Spielberg's homage to the decade when he could do no wrong in many ways.

There's nothing wrong with this film apart from two things in the final reel: it is a little too long and needs a re-edit and it has Simon Peg in it. The two lads commented on the sound track being excellent but that that there was something missing from the film but they weren't sure what, I agree with them. There's nothing wrong with this film but it's like a meal where the main course seems to an ingredient missing but but as you've never had the dish before you can't identify it.

It's worth watching but wait for it to hit the cable/satellite providers rather than pay for a seat at the pics and rip-off wine gums. Cineworld are now dead to me, I'm off to the Showcase, down the East Lancs.

Dunkirk.

Good film, more like a snapshot documentary of the event. No underlying love story, vendetta, huge back story, no bigging up a particular actor, just a portrayal of how the events could have unfolded for a few people.

Worth watching.
Watched Dunkirk last night. My new favourite WW2 movie. Up there with Bridge on the River Kwai and The Great Escape. I think it's the only WW2 movie that has shown that we weren't all "in it together" and there was animosity and an "every man for himself" attitude in parts. Truly terrifying moments also. I cannot begin to imagine living through a time like that. I now know why my Grandad was reluctant to go into more detail when he told me his friend had died on a ship that was torpedoed. Those Spitfires? Absolutely..*******...awesome. Miss living near the Cosby Victory Show and seeing the dog fight re-enactments.
Definite 10/10 from me.

Enter the Dragon, with Bruce Lee, John Saxon and Ken Williams. Great film, slightly shorter in the Amazon Prime version I just watched than the extended Cantonese cut that came out after the cinema release, but well worth watching. Still THE martial arts movie all others stand against, and also an inspiration for video games like Tekken, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, all of which borrow heavily from its plot.
Caused myself many an injury as a youngster trying to copy that famous Nunchaku scene.

He was a bit special was Bruce.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Dunkirk
I watched it, half watched it again. Tbh I didn’t think it was that great, apart from the opening scene and the sprint to the beach. When I rewatched it I thought I’d missed something, nope. Still not great.
The original black and white one, it’s still really good and stands up well.

Blade runner 2049 fell asleep half way through
B*gger! Have just rented it from Sky store. Oh well, let’s see how far I manage. Given that the first one is one of my all time favourite films, it sounds like I need to be prepared to be disappointed

B*gger! Have just rented it from Sky store. Oh well, let’s see how far I manage. Given that the first one is one of my all time favourite films, it sounds like I need to be prepared to be disappointed
In was wine induced eyelid failure not content of fillum :mrgreen: every one else raved about it

In was wine induced eyelid failure not content of fillum :mrgreen: every one else raved about it
Ah! Great news (I may have been guilty of that occurrence on one or two occasions!) thanks, confidence is restored. I shall of course report my findings.

Forgot to add, watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011 version) for the third time this week. And once again, simply superb. For me, it’s a film, much like the books, where a repeat viewing/read rewards you with additional nuance every time.

The stellar cast were on top of their game, with Gary Oldman giving a George Smiley to pass muster alongside Alec Guinness’s interpretation.

Star Wars:The Last Jedi. About 3 hours of my life that I will not get back.Dross, total dross. Same as the previous one.
I have also just watched it, and it is nothing like the previous one, this was way, way worse. Last Jedi is of the same standard as The Phantom menace, it reeks of dogshit. The only good scene is the one where Snoke is killed and the fight just after, the rest is terrible.