What film have you just watched?

I was highly disappointed in it too many glaring issues

By the way why glide a spit halfway to holland and manually pump the gear down just to burn it when you land? why not belly land near your own lines (or within them) and burn it in situ there
I was hugely disappointed as well. Nothing specific, just an overall feeling of being let down by a poor script and general wooden acting. The film just plodded along.

The 'how it was made' DVD was, to me, far more interesting. I'm glad I watched that after the main event because if I'd seen that first and saw the massive effort that went into each and every shot I'd have switched off after 20 minutes.

Dunkirk - Excellent (especially the sound of those Merlin engines with a decent sound system) bar a few scenes. (The final 'running on fumes' one for example). I hope Chris Nolan does some similar movies with different parts of WW2/WW1 etc.
Peter Jackson was reportedly waiting to see how Dunkirk fared before going for a Dambusters remake (The fullsize replica/fullsize airframe mockups are already complete and in storage in NZ. But, it seems the financiers told him that they were waiting to see before giving a green light as the steam has yet to run out of fantasy/super hero films.
Note the odd looking gear protruding from the top of the 'airframe', to tilt, raise, lower, and generally mimic an aircrafts movements in flights (as opposed the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea action technique of tilting the camera and having the actors throw themselves from side to side on a perfectly stable surface.)
Peter Jackson – Dambusters Blog

Last edited:

By the way why glide a spit halfway to holland and manually pump the gear down just to burn it when you land? why not belly land near your own lines (or within them) and burn it in situ there
If it had a handpump for the gear it was probably a Mk1 or Mk 5. 20 strokes to raise, 20 to lower, and easier lowering as gravity was helping, according to various sources.
Belly landing on wet or dry sand would be safer than high possibility of flipping over when the wheels touched down and dug in, but as a writer I would have to say that the aircraft's end was more dramatic, burning with Jerry approaching, even if it should have been on its belly.

Last edited:

If it had a handpump for the gear it was probably a Mk1 or Mk 5. 20 strokes to raise, 20 to lower, and easier lowering as gravity was helping, according to various sources.
Belly landing on wet or dry sand would be safer than high possibility of flipping over when the wheels touched down and dug in, but as a writer I would have to say that the aircraft's end was more dramatic, burning with Jerry approaching, even if it should have been on its belly.
Dunkirk era Spits were Mk1 with a hand pump on the right side of the cockpit meaning you had to swap hands to pump, the spit were retrofitted with hydraulic selectors also on the right side; from mid 1940 onwards (iirc the Mk 1a).

And I agree soft sand and a tail wheel were asking for trouble.

This is a hydraulic pump selector

This is the hand pump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I watched a filum on YooChoob last night called "Formosa Betrayed". It was really excellent and told a story about a country of which most folks know very little. For instance, that it's been under martial law since 1947. The country is now called Taiwan. The filum stars James Van Der Beek, who used to be in "Dawson's Creek" (whatever that is). The plot and acting are absolutely superb and I highly recommend it.

MsG
Taiwan/Formosa was part of the Japanese Empire between 1895 and 1945

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Taiwan/Formosa was part of the Japanese Empire between 1895 and 1945
That was part of the reason why the events of the book took place.

The Japanese colonial government chucked out of power the families who felt themselves unflinchingly Chinese and put into power the ones who were prepared to be flexible. Come Retrocession, those families were deeply invested in being Japanese subjects: their language skills were local languages/dialects and Japanese; their social networks were with each other and the Japanese administration; and their skillsets were those the Japanese had allowed them to gain (primarily medicine and teaching, not anything that would set them up for independence). The demands of the war and the isolation imposed by the allied submarine campaign had prompted some grudging expansion of Taiwanese presence in the local government and raised expectations for the future.

Then, along came the post-war KMT government for whom Japanese-identifying Taiwanese elites were not the most sympathetic of characters after 8 years of total war against Japan and who had in any case an entirely different set of priorities. They had no intention of putting people who still looked to Japan in charge of the island, even if those had had the range of technical skills available from the mainland. A whopping dose of corruption in the new rulers and the use of Taiwan's revenues to put the devastated Chinese northeast back on its feet alienated the lower orders too. The place was a powder keg waiting for a match, which ironically was provided by customs police harassing a cigarette seller for violating the state tobacco monopoly.

There was another irony after the fact: once the 228 Uprising was put down, Chiang used the opportunity to eliminate the influence of the colonial Taiwanese elites from government and imposed the structure that Taiwan still uses successfully today. While they were still present, there was no chance of the land reform that the KMT were never able to implement in China and the lack of which drove the peasantry into the arms of the Communists but once the Japanese-Taiwanese were neutered, the KMT were able to break the power of landlords with few political repercussions on the island, bypass the traditional power structures and appeal directly to the masses.

Real history often has an unsatisfactory plot and makes for a very un-engaging movie.

That was part of the reason why the events of the book took place.

The Japanese colonial government chucked out of power the families who felt themselves unflinchingly Chinese and put into power the ones who were prepared to be flexible. Come Retrocession, those families were deeply invested in being Japanese subjects: their language skills were local languages/dialects and Japanese; their social networks were with each other and the Japanese administration; and their skillsets were those the Japanese had allowed them to gain (primarily medicine and teaching, not anything that would set them up for independence). The demands of the war and the isolation imposed by the allied submarine campaign had prompted some grudging expansion of Taiwanese presence in the local government and raised expectations for the future.

Then, along came the post-war KMT government for whom Japanese-identifying Taiwanese elites were not the most sympathetic of characters after 8 years of total war against Japan and who had in any case an entirely different set of priorities. They had no intention of putting people who still looked to Japan in charge of the island, even if those had had the range of technical skills available from the mainland. A whopping dose of corruption in the new rulers and the use of Taiwan's revenues to put the devastated Chinese northeast back on its feet alienated the lower orders too. The place was a powder keg waiting for a match, which ironically was provided by customs police harassing a cigarette seller for violating the state tobacco monopoly.

There was another irony after the fact: once the 228 Uprising was put down, Chiang used the opportunity to eliminate the influence of the colonial Taiwanese elites from government and imposed the structure that Taiwan still uses successfully today. While they were still present, there was no chance of the land reform that the KMT were never able to implement in China and the lack of which drove the peasantry into the arms of the Communists but once the Japanese-Taiwanese were neutered, the KMT were able to break the power of landlords with few political repercussions on the island, bypass the traditional power structures and appeal directly to the masses.

Real history often has an unsatisfactory plot and makes for a very un-engaging movie.
Can someone please condense that so I don't waste my life trying to read it.

Can someone please condense that so I don't waste my life trying to read it.
"Don't believe everything you see in the movies."

Battle of the Bulge (2017) is £7 at Tesco, starring Tom Berenger (Platoon) and Steven Luke (no idea). Apparently this was originally released with the title Wunderland and I guess it bombed because nobody had a clue what it was about. The problem is that Wunderland is probably as relevant a title as Battle of the Bulge is. The latter hints at massed Tigers and thousands of German soldiers battering their way through the Ardennes, which is never portrayed in this film. You see the battle from the point of view of one platoon and in that respect it may well be an accurate representation. There are no hystrionics and no heroics beyond the day to day heroism of good soldiers in battle. The kit and vehicles appear (to my limited knowledge) to be authentic- although there are still a couple of Hollywood magazines floating about!
So as a vignette it is functional but all the action is a bit samey- Germans advance through woods, our platoon waits until whites of the eyes can be seen and mow Germans down, rinse and repeat.
It ends...
**** SPOILER ALERT - down page ****

... with the Pl commander and some of his guys getting captured and in a straight copy of the Great Escape ending, are summarily machine-gunned.
All a bit dull really. Probably more accurate that that crappy old flick by the same name- the one with the krauts in M60s IIRC- but if I want accuracy for my entertainment I’ll read a history book or watch a documentary.

Battle of the Bulge (2017) is £7 at Tesco, starring Tom Berenger (Platoon) and Steven Luke (no idea). Apparently this was originally released with the title Wunderland and I guess it bombed because nobody had a clue what it was about. The problem is that Wunderland is probably as relevant a title as Battle of the Bulge is. The latter hints at massed Tigers and thousands of German soldiers battering their way through the Ardennes, which is never portrayed in this film. You see the battle from the point of view of one platoon and in that respect it may well be an accurate representation. There are no hystrionics and no heroics beyond the day to day heroism of good soldiers in battle. The kit and vehicles appear (to my limited knowledge) to be authentic- although there are still a couple of Hollywood magazines floating about!
So as a vignette it is functional but all the action is a bit samey- Germans advance through woods, our platoon waits until whites of the eyes can be seen and mow Germans down, rinse and repeat.
It ends...
**** SPOILER ALERT - down page ****

... with the Pl commander and some of his guys getting captured and in a straight copy of the Great Escape ending, are summarily machine-gunned.
All a bit dull really. Probably more accurate that that crappy old flick by the same name- the one with the krauts in M60s IIRC- but if I want accuracy for my entertainment I’ll read a history book or watch a documentary.
The Sixties version may be crappy but it's got the Panzerlied (albeit a version made up specially for the film), so your argument is a bit invalid.

The Sixties version may be crappy but it's got the Panzerlied (albeit a version made up specially for the film), so your argument is a bit invalid.

Haha. My argument is only invalid if you enjoy wearing leather shorts, spanking other men and committing random atrocities.
But, yeah, the Devil has some good tunes.

Chinatown

Made (1974) when studios heads had balls and weren't afraid to make films for adults that were original and actually had a storyline and weren't made for social media approval. Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Huston (better known as a director but occasional actor) star in this film by Roman Polanski (before his run in with the law over a 13 year old).

Set in 1930s' Los Angeles, Nicholson is Jake Gittes, a former cop now private detective whose normal business is tracking down philandering partners. A woman claiming to be the wife of the city water engineer hires Gittes as she suspects her husband of infidelity. This is not a straight forward job and lands Gittes in the midst of something much larger and darker. The ending does not conform to expectations. If you have never seen it do yourself a favour and give it a watch.

Was the singing bit before or after Hessler say's were going to need a bigger tank.
They had tanks from the future- you’d have thought that would be enough. Although I liked the dream sequence with King Tigers rolling across the Alpine meadow and everyone singing Tanks For The Memory and Tracks Of My Tears. I might have made that up.

They had tanks from the future- you’d have thought that would be enough. Although I liked the dream sequence with King Tigers rolling across the Alpine meadow and everyone singing Tanks For The Memory and Tracks Of My Tears. I might have made that up.

It's not as odd as putting "Burning Bridges" as the theme music to Oddball, his Sherman and some other Shermans blowing the crap out of a Nazi camp in Kelly's Heroes, is it? Because that song certainly time-travelled.

It's not as odd as putting "Burning Bridges" as the theme music to Oddball, his Sherman and some other Shermans blowing the crap out of a Nazi camp in Kelly's Heroes, is it? Because that song certainly time-travelled.

Isn't it Hank Williams singing Sunshine when they attack the Germans
Burning Bridges is at the end credits

I must get out more.....