What film have you just watched?

Bright on Netflix. Not a bad film with some snazzy effects and rather attractive females to look at. However, the plot kind of skips about a bit and I'm not entirely sure if it was worth the 2 hours. Worth a look.

The Duchess

Based on a true story about the Duke of Devon (Ralph Finnes) and his Duchess (Keira Knightly) unhappy marriage

About 10 years old and a good film. Didn't realise Keira Knightly could act 0

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched a filum on YooChoob last night called "Formosa Betrayed". It was really excellent and told a story about a country of which most folks know very little. For instance, that it's been under martial law since 1947. The country is now called Taiwan. The filum stars James Van Der Beek, who used to be in "Dawson's Creek" (whatever that is). The plot and acting are absolutely superb and I highly recommend it.

MsG

Went to see The Shape of Water last night with the missus, mainly because I’m a huge fan of Guillermo Del Torro and loved Pan’s Labyrinth and Hellboy.
It was the late showing, so way past my bedtime and I thought I would struggle to stay awake! :smile:
No worries on that score, we really enjoyed it and I thought the cast was excellent, particularly Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer and Richard Jenkins.
That said; I agree with the whimsy descriptor - the film occasionally dipped into almost unwatchable territory for me (the fantasy dance sequence as an example), but there were more than enough gasp out loud moments and typical Del Torro violence (my missus spent a lot of time with her hands over her eyes!) to keep this fan happy.
Not his best film for me (Pan’s Labyrinth is still top of the pile), but a cracking film and it’s deserving of all the BAFTA and Oscar nominations in my humble opinion.
Recommended, but you need to be a fan of Del Torro to really appreciate it.
Thanks for that me and my twins are off to see it later this week, I love Del Torro's work did you ever catch Cronos, it's quite frankly one of the oddest film I've seen.

Thanks for that me and my twins are off to see it later this week, I love Del Torro's work did you ever catch Cronos, it's quite frankly one of the oddest film I've seen.
If you like odd, you’ll enjoy Shape of Water! :smile:
Not seen Cronos, but it’s on my list.

'Miss Sloane', in Cantonese with English sub titles.
Not my usual choice but I was laid up in a Chinese owned hospital.

Jessica Chastain (Mission Commander from 'The Martian') is a scarily smart lobbyist, Elizabeth Sloane, in Washington DC. She works for a firm that has the NRA as a customer but is headhunted by a rival firm to ensure that a critical loophole, the sale of firearms without background checks at gun fairs, is blocked.

The NRA fights dirty to beat her, and Sloane uses her staff without conscience in order to win.

One jarring item was the reaction of her staff when she used surveillance to find out which of them was an NRA mole. They were critical of her, "OMG, I can't believe she did that!"
All a little precious and snowflaky.
However, the rest of the film is interesting and engaging as her private life is attacked when she is subpoenaed to appear before a congressional hearing into possible breaches of senate ethics rules.
Suddenly, her campaign, which had been proving a major success, seems to be about to collapse.

The clue is in the quote in the films advertising. ''Make sure you surprise them."

I was impressed with the writing, the twists and subplots, as well as Jessica Chastain's ability to portray an intelligent, driven, workaholic, one who is reliant of pep pills for work, and male prostitutes to relieve her of her frustrations in a cold and clinical fashion.
Thank you for recommending this. I watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it ( Especially the ending)

I watched a filum on YooChoob last night called "Formosa Betrayed". It was really excellent and told a story about a country of which most folks know very little. For instance, that it's been under martial law since 1947. The country is now called Taiwan. The filum stars James Van Der Beek, who used to be in "Dawson's Creek" (whatever that is). The plot and acting are absolutely superb and I highly recommend it.

MsG
It's based on a book of the same name, in the same sense the film 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' was. Regardless of the politics, most of the events didn't even happen and the few that did happened in a different sequence - some, decades earlier in the immediate aftermath of WW2.

General rule of thumb is that if a film depicting historic events does so in clear black and white, it ain't depicting historic events.

Decided to download The Railway Man the other night while it was on Ch4. I've seen it a few years ago & couldn't remember why i didn't really enjoy it.
Its Colin Firth. I dunno why as he's normally tip top, but in this he just didn't seem to fit the role. He didn't look old enough, supposedly in his early 60's when he marries his second wife (his first marriage & how it ended in real life is not mentioned at all) & his portrayal seems like he's just going through the acting motions.
Nicole Kidman i s much more believable as his wife.

On freeview last evening-The Golden Compass-Good family entertainment with very good special effects,but it sort of stops halfway though the story,pending a sequel that i dont think happened?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Watched 'Jumanji' last night, the remake. Actually rather good. Good bit of action and cgi and a lot of laugh out loud moments. Dwayne Johnson ( The Rock! -his name is always spelled with an exclamation mark) was very good and Jack Black had at least one brilliant moment when answering a call of nature.

'Once a Jolly Swagman' with Dirk Bogarde, Sid James [no different in 1937 than 1977!] and 'Compo' Bill Owen, about speedway racing.
B&W n Talking Pictures channel freeview 81. Great racing stuff.
edit: change 1037 to 1937...!

Mesrine: Killer Instinct. Part one of the 2008 biopic of French wrong'un Jacques Mesrine. Think I'll save part two for tomorrow as there's only so much subtitled Frog speak I can take in one sitting.

The former Mr. Monica Bellucci stars, along with a coterie of lovely ladies.

On freeview last evening-The Golden Compass-Good family entertainment with very good special effects,but it sort of stops halfway though the story,pending a sequel that i dont think happened?
Apart from the background 'cobbles stones' being X-Large, spray painted bubble wrap that kept blowing away.