What film have you just watched?

It was SOP in Aden. Bit of artistic licence by the film makers?
gave me a prickle on the back of the neck moment, when I was in Kosovo Photographing the actress Vanessa Redgrave taking part in the opening even in pristina, the first live music, by a military band, she was surrounded by kids and I looked down and one of the little brats had flipped the tab on my canvas holster, my 9milly was attached to a land-yard but I got a bit angry in front of Vanessa, shame cos she couldn't take her eyes off my lens.

I agree. A Shakespearian thespian 'reduced' to such a commercial role. He was the forerunner of how the character 'Bond' should really be portrayed as the actor Craig subsequently embellished.

He was rather good in Hot Fuzz as well

TamH70

MIA
The War Below.

Apart from 1917 and War Horse there really aren’t that many great WW1 movies.

And this was no different.

It wasn’t terrible but I certainly wouldn’t watch it again. A few minor military annoyances such as a bloke calling an officer “mate” and cock handed salutes all over the place, but the main thing it lacked was any real tension or storyline.

Some tunnel diggers get called up by some ambitious colonel to dig tunnels because they’re the only people in the world who can do it apparently.

They dig tunnels.

The end.

We made the mistake of watching The War Below last night.
Absoloute toss would be my concise review.
Dreadfull acting, and seemed to be be about as accurate as U571.

TamH70

MIA

Sub films?

The Enemy Below, The Hunt for Red October, Das Boot, and Crimson Tide. Most of the rest are parvenus.

Mr. Holmes

A made-for-TV BBC film about a 93 year-old Sherlock who is beginning to have memory problems and trying to recall his last case so he can write a book about it whilst at his country house near the coast. He forms a friendship with his housekeeper's young son that slowly helps draw out the details of the case.

I found it enjoyable in a lighthearted and nostalgic way, it's not too taxing on the brain. We'd recorded it, but should be available on iPlayer.

3.5 elementaries out of 5

NSP

LE
Beneath Hill 60 is a much better movie about the same undermining operation, albeit on a different part of the line (the bit the Aussies were holding).

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold

Somehow I had never seen it before. Probably because it's only recently I have taken any particular interest in the work of John le Carré.

Excellent film and very atmospheric.

I strongly suspect Richard Burton in the lead role didn't have to act that hard.

Watching SUSPECTS on Acorn, seems pretty good. Question for the Coppers ex or serving on here; Why, when the cops all go racing off to a crime scene, does the unmarked Detective’s car lead the chase/pursuit whatever - leaving the high profile lights and sirens cars to follow behind?

Wouldnt it be more logical to have a “Jam Sandwich“ c/w lights and sirens unit in the lead for safety reasons?

Last edited:
Just finished watching the old film Reach for the Sky . Can our country produce people like Douglas Bader again?

We've got a fair few Poles over here now, they still seem to have the right attitude

Got dragged to Top Gun Maverick on Tuesday night. What a load of cack! If i had taken any alcohol before it i would definitely have fallen asleep.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Watching SUSPECTS on Acorn, seems pretty good. Question for the Coppers ex or serving on here; Why, when the cops all go racing off to a crime scene, does the unmarked Detective’s car lead the chase/pursuit whatever - leaving the high profile lights and sirens cars to follow behind?

Wouldnt it be more logical to have a “Jam Sandwich“ c/w lights and sirens unit in the lead for safety reasons?
It's a TV series not a film, so belongs on the TV thread really. But to answer your question, the programme is largely unscripted, the actors say what they want and they seem to have unscripted the vehicle movements as well.