What film have you just watched?

TamH70

MIA
"Vamp" was the last film I watched. It's an efficient little chiller of a vampire movie, with Grace Jones playing a stripper-vampire along the lines of Salma Hayek in "From Dust til Dawn", but years earlier and far sexier. She also provides the theme tune. I quite enjoyed it, to the extent that I finished watching it when I gave my umpteenth viewing of "Con Air" a body swerve as I just couldn't get past the ludicrousness of the inciting incident that set the film in motion this time.

Details here:

Three and a bit exotic metal bikini things out of five.

I've just watched this:

A Palace for Putin.jpg

I had to watch it in two sessions, as it is quite long. It is eye opening - if your eyes were not already open to how Russia is run. The fact that Alexei Navalny is still alive astounds me, having watched this.

Recommended, more here:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Burying Party. Great film, though you do have to ignore the errors in uniforms and accoutrements.

I've just watched Living Daylights (1987) the first Bond film starring Timothy Dalton. I enjoyed it, good escapist stuff.

E2A: I thought Dalton was an entirely acceptable Bond.

The Man From Toronto with Kevin Hart and Woody Harrelson

In a case of mistaken identity, the world’s deadliest assassin, known as the Man from Toronto, and a New York City screw-up are forced to team up after being confused for each other at an Airbnb.

Well worth a watch as it's pretty funny with lots of shootouts and fisticuffs.

arfah

ADC
The Man From Toronto with Kevin Hart and Woody Harrelson

In a case of mistaken identity, the world’s deadliest assassin, known as the Man from Toronto, and a New York City screw-up are forced to team up after being confused for each other at an Airbnb.

Well worth a watch as it's pretty funny with lots of shootouts and fisticuffs.

Which vendor is it available with, please?

I've just watched Living Daylights (1987) the first Bond film starring Timothy Dalton. I enjoyed it, good escapist stuff.

E2A: I thought Dalton was an entirely acceptable Bond.
I agree. A Shakespearian thespian 'reduced' to such a commercial role. He was the forerunner of how the character 'Bond' should really be portrayed as the actor Craig subsequently embellished.

NSP

LE
Force of Nature. So-so action flick in the cop-in-right-place-at-wrong-time mould. Put it this way; Mel Gibson replaced Bruce Willis. Yeah - it would have been another of BWs straight-to-streaming-service "masterpieces."

Stars Kate Bosworth, directed by her husband, small part for her step-daughter. Nepotism - a game for the whole family!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Crying Game. Comes with a Norn Iron background. Much about sexual politics, as well.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
The Escape Artist. Two-part made-for-TV movie currently available on Prime. Barrister gets nutter off a murder rap, gets rewarded by same guy murdering his wife. Prosecution is thin and Smug Bitch barrister gets him off. Main barrister gets even. Nice little thriller. Nice twist in the end when he mugs Smug Bitch off as she hits peak smug.

DK27

Old-Salt
Just watched a film on NETFLIX, Last Breath. A kind of docu drama including real life footage. Won't say any more as to not spoil.

Last night watched 71. Young soldier on Op Banner. Again don't want to spoil it.

Last edited:

exspy

LE
The Last Duel. (2021)

Overall, I liked it. Bit long at 2 1/2 hours. Jodie Comer was good as was Ben Affleck and Minnie Adam Driver. Matt Damon was a little bit off, I thought.

But you really have to pay attention if you want to know what's going on.

Spiderhead on Netflix.

Chris Hemsworth as the world's least convincing scientist is conducting tests that modify emotional states in convicted felons. . . . or is he?

Starts off OK and the basic premise was sound enough but the further it got the worse it was.
It would have been better off as an episode of Black Mirror as it might have handled it in a much better way and avoided the awful ending.

The whole problem seemed to be with tone. Was it a dark comedy, a thriller, a cautionary tale, a romance? It's all there in a big jumbled mess.

syrup

LE
Elvis

If you thought Remi Malik did a decent turn as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody then Austin Butler karate kicks him right out the building.
A truly astonishing performance as Elvis from discovery to the Vegas years ably supported by Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker who is neither a Colonel a Tom or a Parker.
The story is told from Parkers point of view how he discovered (targeted would be a better word) Elvis and steered his career to the greatest star of his day.

Supported by a great (not all Elvis) soundtrack

5 Rhinestone Jumps suits out of five for me.

Elvis

If you thought Remi Malik did a decent turn as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody then Austin Butler karate kicks him right out the building.
A truly astonishing performance as Elvis from discovery to the Vegas years ably supported by Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker who is neither a Colonel a Tom or a Parker.
The story is told from Parkers point of view how he discovered (targeted would be a better word) Elvis and steered his career to the greatest star of his day.

Uh huh.
Thank you very much.

arfah

ADC
Elvis

Ladies and gentlemen, @syrup has now left the building

Latest Threads