What film have you just watched?

The Admiral (Prime). Anglo-Dutch naval epic set during the geopolitical WTF of the 17th century. Visually sumptuous. Cloggie movie. Excellent - if one overlooks the over-usage of the Union flag for the dastardly English... and the uncanny resemblance of De Ruyter to Matt Berry. Quality CGI proves that a decent film about Nelson and Trafalgar is both do-able and long overdue.
Mornin' I don't suppose the burning or nicking of Moored warships down the Medway would endear the Cloggies to us that much. Barry Linden was another good film of the period.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Matrix Resurrections - Fairly good effort to reboot the franchise, but this film spent more time setting things up for future films than actually being a good movie. Why Larry Fishburne or Hugo Weaving weren't hired, I have no idea. It would've added a legitimacy to the proceedings.

Carrie-Anne Moss looks great and unusually for a Hollywood type, hasn't fcuked about with her face. It's nice to see those two together again and I enjoyed Jonathan Groff's replacement agent, the new Morpheus wasn't as bad as he could've been either.

Fan service has been paid and the new trilogy is there for the taking if Lana Wachowski/Warner Bros decides to move ahead. Just a shame there isn't much of a standalone movie here.

The Legend of Boggy Creek - Shudder
I first saw this film on BBC2 one night as a whippersnapper and it made a big impression on my brothers and I as kids. A mockumentary on a Sasquatch-type beast that wanders around the bayou, looking for mischief. The film quality is properly awful, with terrible acting and a sound mix all over the place. However, it isn't without its charm, with attempts to build the creepiness surprisingly effective in places and the film quality helps disguise some of its jankiness. Can't really recommend it in today's world of UHD CGI wankfestery, but nostalgia is nice.

Twister - Netflix
Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt stars in this 1996 movie about a bunch of tornado-chasers with primitive CGI that barely holds up these days.

I miss Bill Paxton whose seminal roles in "Near Dark" and "Aliens" boded well for the future and in "Twister," he nailed the put-upon weather guru with an everyman work ethic. His acting is a lot better than he's ever been credited with and his interplay with Helen Hunt as a married couple for whom the clock has just about run out rings true. It is as much a relationship movie as one with flying cows and trucks.

I doubt whether many people haven't seen "Twister," but slight CGI dodginess aside, this is still a great film and comes recommended.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - Amazon Prime
The follow up to the 2017 buddy-buddy movie comes with the addition of Salma Hayek, who at 55 is still as stunning as when she was 25. This isn't relevant to the story in any way shape or form and is for information only.

Her foul-mouthed diatribes makes Samuel L Jackson seem tame in his swearsmithing and that's quite an achievement. As Ryan Reynolds points out: "Her mouth needs an exorcism," which is one of the few laughs garnered in this movie.

96 minutes is the film's running time and unlike the dull "Red Notice," it doesn't outstay its welcome. It's all a cliched and fairly unfeasible plot, with plenty of CGI blood spatter and gunplay to the nth degree.

In one respect, I'd like to tear it to pieces, as a critical review is funnier than a meh one, but honestly, it diverted me for a little bit, had some eye candy and Morgan Freeman shows up in a cameo, which is always fun.

It doesn't take itself too seriously, which is good and counts in its favour. 2.5 out of 5.

Le Mans - DVD
The original Steve McQueen version, not the later Matt Damon/Christian Bale one. Somehow, I've never gotten round to watching this but I've finally remedied it this weekend. A very sedate to the point of glacial build up to the race with the announcer acting as Basil Exposition, discussing yellow flags, race procedure etc.

There's very little storyline going on here and it feels naked as a result. There's a small candle glow of romance with a dead driver's wife, but it never goes anywhere much. No, the whole movie's focus is the titular race and without doubt some of best racing scenes ever committed to celluloid. No CGI here, just stunts featuring real cars and real stuntment, McQueen having famously driven himself.

The thing that hit me hardest with this movie is the massive contrast between the way films were made back then compared to now. In those days, the movie relied on the intelligence of its audience, without spoonfeeding motivations throughout a movie. The actors would act and although that may leave some ambiguity on the table, it largely allowed the audience to make up its mind about motivations, thought processes, etc.

These days it's normally shouted at the viewers, repeatedly and loudly, along with tons of plots, subplots and subsubplots which reference other movies which you may or may not've seen.

Watched 1917 last night and thought it was pretty good.
There were a couple of instances where cliche or Wokeness may have crept in - but I admit to a hyper-sensitiveness where this is concerned.

Overall - worth a watch.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The follow up to the 2017 buddy-buddy movie comes with the addition of Salma Hayek, who at 55 is still as stunning as when she was 25. This isn't relevant to the story in any way shape or form and is for information only.

Her foul-mouthed diatribes makes Samuel L Jackson seem tame in his swearsmithing and that's quite an achievement. As Ryan Reynolds points out: "Her mouth needs an exorcism," which is one of the few laughs garnered in this movie.

96 minutes is the film's running time and unlike the dull "Red Notice," it doesn't outstay its welcome. It's all a cliched and fairly unfeasible plot, with plenty of CGI blood spatter and gunplay to the nth degree.

In one respect, I'd like to tear it to pieces, as a critical review is funnier than a meh one, but honestly, it diverted me for a little bit, had some eye candy and Morgan Freeman shows up in a cameo, which is always fun.

It doesn't take itself too seriously, which is good and counts in its favour. 2.5 out of 5.

Le Mans - DVD
The original Steve McQueen version, not the later Matt Damon/Christian Bale one. Somehow, I've never gotten round to watching this but I've finally remedied it this weekend. A very sedate to the point of glacial build up to the race with the announcer acting as Basil Exposition, discussing yellow flags, race procedure etc.

There's very little storyline going on here and it feels naked as a result. There's a small candle glow of romance with a dead driver's wife, but it never goes anywhere much. No, the whole movie's focus is the titular race and without doubt some of best racing scenes ever committed to celluloid. No CGI here, just stunts featuring real cars and real stuntment, McQueen having famously driven himself.

The thing that hit me hardest with this movie is the massive contrast between the way films were made back then compared to now. In those days, the movie relied on the intelligence of its audience, without spoonfeeding motivations throughout a movie. The actors would act and although that may leave some ambiguity on the table, it largely allowed the audience to make up its mind about motivations, thought processes, etc.

These days it's normally shouted at the viewers, repeatedly and loudly, along with tons of plots, subplots and subsubplots which reference other movies which you may or may not've seen.
Re THWB, I thought was an ok time waster film which passed a few moments. Nowhere near as good as the original but I was really put off by Selma's constant swearing which, IMO, was not necessary. A few expletives dropped in at the right time would have worked much better. Every time the dialogue went to SH you just knew there would be a string of Fs and MFs. Apart from that SLJ played his usual swaggerIng baddie to a 'T'. Reynolds was there to fill the gaps - even though he is meant to be the main character.

Still, as I say, passed time.

Le Mans - DVD

With respect you don’t watch Le Mans for the story line. Bloody awesome racing shots and proper engines from a time when people were still knocking them up in a lockup.

I thought that was the point I was making...badly, obvs!

download.jpeg

There, there, there.
Never mind.
Better luck next time.

ches

LE
With respect you don’t watch Le Mans for the story line. Bloody awesome racing shots and proper engines from a time when people were still knocking them up in a lockup.

Worth watching Sky Docs for the lost F1 film from 66 that got canned - Day of the Champion. This was what Le Man became. Was canned by the makers when Grand Prix with James Garner beat it to the editing booth due to McQueen (who had pushed & pushed this brilliantly) being stuck in Taiwan filming The Sand Pebbles which overran by months.
A bloody shame as the rushes of the driving at the Nurburgring look stunning.

Watched The First Man on Film 4 the other day. Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong & our own Claire Foy as his wife. A thoroughly brilliant look at NA in the years leading up to Apollo & Gosling does it well. The footage inside the capsule prior to leaving the command module for the surface were very well done. Up there with Apollo 13 & The Martian for really top notch space (not sci fi) movies.

Slime

LE
Matrix Resurrections - Fairly good effort to reboot the franchise, but this film spent more time setting things up for future films than actually being a good movie. Why Larry Fishburne or Hugo Weaving weren't hired, I have no idea. It would've added a legitimacy to the proceedings.

Carrie-Anne Moss looks great and unusually for a Hollywood type, hasn't fcuked about with her face. It's nice to see those two together again and I enjoyed Jonathan Groff's replacement agent, the new Morpheus wasn't as bad as he could've been either.

Fan service has been paid and the new trilogy is there for the taking if Lana Wachowski/Warner Bros decides to move ahead. Just a shame there isn't much of a standalone movie here.

The Legend of Boggy Creek - Shudder
I first saw this film on BBC2 one night as a whippersnapper and it made a big impression on my brothers and I as kids. A mockumentary on a Sasquatch-type beast that wanders around the bayou, looking for mischief. The film quality is properly awful, with terrible acting and a sound mix all over the place. However, it isn't without its charm, with attempts to build the creepiness surprisingly effective in places and the film quality helps disguise some of its jankiness. Can't really recommend it in today's world of UHD CGI wankfestery, but nostalgia is nice.

Twister - Netflix
Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt stars in this 1996 movie about a bunch of tornado-chasers with primitive CGI that barely holds up these days.

I miss Bill Paxton whose seminal roles in "Near Dark" and "Aliens" boded well for the future and in "Twister," he nailed the put-upon weather guru with an everyman work ethic. His acting is a lot better than he's ever been credited with and his interplay with Helen Hunt as a married couple for whom the clock has just about run out rings true. It is as much a relationship movie as one with flying cows and trucks.

I doubt whether many people haven't seen "Twister," but slight CGI dodginess aside, this is still a great film and comes recommended.

I watched the legend of boggy creek in a working man’s club.
It’s funny to think that back in the day it was ‘high tech’ to be able to see a film on a biggish screen in a club :)

The Father with Anthony Hopkins - jesus wept, this cuts close to the bone. If you've ever seen a close family member through dementia this is raw. Anthony Hopkins at his very best and reminds me that there should be a how-to guide about this subject - recognising the symptoms too late and being ignorant of the available resources bring on acres of guilt. Feck.

Poppy

LE
The Father with Anthony Hopkins - jesus wept, this cuts close to the bone. If you've ever seen a close family member through dementia this is raw. Anthony Hopkins at his very best and reminds me that there should be a how-to guide about this subject - recognising the symptoms too late and being ignorant of the available resources bring on acres of guilt. Feck.

exactly why I've avoided it - was tempted as I love Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman but can't face it

Apex,

'starring' Bruce Willis in quite likely his worst film ever - think direct to DVD then down some.

Just don't.

Willis must have severely pissed off some major people at Hollywood to sink this low, I'd almost feel sorry for him, except he wasn't even trying - at all in this.

0 out of 10 'Welcome to the party pals'

Sweet Lord, that was painful. What has happened to the Die Hard star of old? 90 minutes of wandering around the woods, mumbling, while everyone else does the shooting.

Bordon/hants

War Hero
"Chopper" Ken and the £22,500 Tyrrell F1 winning car, and the woodshed where it started, was still there at Long Reach, Ockham but I think they want to get rid of it, some folk are trying to find it a new home at Brooklands museum I understand.

All J.S. and Ken had were a handshake for a contract, and the car was built in secret with odd panels done at Mo' Gomms I believe, but the rest on site in the old woodyard and at Derek Gardner's gaff.

Pictures from the time show the legendary Roger Hill spannering a car from a cantelever tool box like your dad had in some gravel car park somewhere, and the pitlane was a chaotic mess of brollies, tyres and junk everywhere and blokes in selous scout style shorts and aviators.

Imagine that now!...........

ken tyrrell.jpg

"Chopper" Ken and the £22,500 Tyrrell F1 winning car, and the woodshed where it started, was still there at Long Reach, Ockham but I think they want to get rid of it, some folk are trying to find it a new home at Brooklands museum I understand.

All J.S. and Ken had were a handshake for a contract, and the car was built in secret with odd panels done at Mo' Gomms I believe, but the rest on site in the old woodyard and at Derek Gardner's gaff.

Pictures from the time show the legendary Roger Hill spannering a car from a cantelever tool box like your dad had in some gravel car park somewhere, and the pitlane was a chaotic mess of brollies, tyres and junk everywhere and blokes in selous scout style shorts and aviators.

Imagine that now!...........

View attachment 632457
In a nutshell.

Latest Threads