What film have you just watched?

NSP

LE
Mr. Majestyk. Charles Bronson doesn't let any mob hoods twist his melons, man. Classic '70s actioner - entertains and excites without gratuitous swearing and overly-gratuitous violence whilst pulling no punches.

Bear Island. Fun and scuffles in the Arctic as a plot to loot Nazi gold is thwarted by Donald Sutherland's beard and Lloyd Bridges' wisecracks.

I think I described the new one as 'an overrated mish mash' somewhere up thread.
As a film I enjoyed it, but as I pointed out to jr The distinction was in The mentality of the time by some who probably went through it as opposed to those who’ve never been in and are merely reconstructors. I just like that bit where John Mills in the original having lost his orcifer says to the others, “Well what do we do now?” To be told, “Well you’ve got the stripes.” Or the scene as thy get to the beach, “Well, it’s alright for you, I’m the ruddy rearguard”

Shang Chi and the legend of the Ten Rings

Doesnt seem to tie into the Marvel Cinematic Universe much, just a couple of minor links, its a blatant cash grab by appealing to the Chinese.

A bit too Disney and aimed at a younger audience (very probably a Chinese one)

Been a Marvel character since the late 70s I think.
I know I had some comic with him in the 80s.

The Eternals, it appears that Disney/Marvel are now trying to cash in on the Indian market.

I assume that at some point in the future, the films are going to connect with each other properly.

You will love the Kamala Khan character then.
Ms.Marvel is a Pakistani/American.
I think they may tie the eternals into Captain Marvel or The Guardians as they're more space based.

Clerks

3519644_full-time-magazine-caitlyn-quotes-star-wipe-clerks-1994-jeff-anderson-as-randal-graves-imdb.jpg

A very black comedy - you'll either love it or hate it...

Personally I loved it.

Some great lines in the script...

Dante:...You sucked that guy's d*ck?!
Veronica: .Well, yeah. How do you think I knew--?
Dante: But you said you only had sex with three different guys; you never mentioned him!
Veronica: Because I never had sex with him.
Dante: You sucked his d*ck!
Veronica: We went out a few times. We never had sex but we fooled around.
Dante: Oh my God, why did you tell me you only had sex with three different guys?
Veronica: Because I did only have sex with three different guys; that doesn't mean I didn't just go with people.
Dante: Oh my God, I feel so nauseous!
Veronica: I'm sorry, Dante, I thought you understood!
Dante: I did understand! I understood that you had sex with three different guys and that's all you said!
Veronica: Please calm down.
Dante: How many?
Veronica: Dante--
Dante: How many d*cks have you sucked?!
Veronica: Let it go!
Dante: How many?!
Veronica: All right, shut up a second and I'll tell you! Jesus! I didn't freak out like this when you told me how many girls you ****ed!
Dante: This is different, this is important! How many?!
[long pause as customer buys something]

Dante: ...Well?!
Veronica: Something like 36.
Dante: What?! Something like 36?!
Veronica: Lower your voice.
Dante: Wait a minute, what is that anyway, something like 36?! Does that include me?!
Veronica: Ummm, 37.
Dante: I'm 37?!
Veronica: I'm going to class.
[Customer comes up to counter]
Dante: Oh, my God. [To Customer] 37! My girlfriend sucked 37 d*cks!
Customer: In a row?

As a film I enjoyed it, but as I pointed out to jr The distinction was in The mentality of the time by some who probably went through it as opposed to those who’ve never been in and are merely reconstructors. I just like that bit where John Mills in the original having lost his orcifer says to the others, “Well what do we do now?” To be told, “Well you’ve got the stripes.” Or the scene as thy get to the beach, “Well, it’s alright for you, I’m the ruddy rearguard”
If I were to have a criticism of both films its the absence of French in the perimeter and at the beach. In reality there might have been a probability of not seeing them but telling the story well hinges on whats included as whats excluded for simplicity.

If I were to have a criticism of both films its the absence of French in the perimeter and at the beach. In reality there might have been a probability of not seeing them but telling the story well hinges on whats included as whats excluded for simplicity.
Well films are films and the occasional Poilu crops up in both plus. the original Pathe news events whilst not entirely concentrating on those evacuated did occasionally focus on them. But it was spliced into the original I think we had to be clear, that during the evacuation the concentration was about getting our men back, not who was amongst them or whether there would be a Free French contingent as it would be called in the future. That's maybe a failing of the second rather than the first because back in the fifties it wasn't common knowledge just how many we had lifted off.

The Kings Man , the first one was ok . The second crap. Thought the third would be worse but was the best of the trilogy.

Quite funny and very loosely based on some of the truths about the timeframe it is supposed to be over. Bit of a shock , never saw that coming moment about half way through.

slick

LE
Well films are films and the occasional Poilu crops up in both plus. the original Pathe news events whilst not entirely concentrating on those evacuated did occasionally focus on them. But it was spliced into the original I think we had to be clear, that during the evacuation the concentration was about getting our men back, not who was amongst them or whether there would be a Free French contingent as it would be called in the future. That's maybe a failing of the second rather than the first because back in the fifties it wasn't common knowledge just how many we had lifted off.
Another film on the same subject from the French perspective was "Weekend at Zuydcoote". from 1964....

Matrix Resurrections , to save you some money. Watch your boxed set of the three MATRIX movies.

Make a note of the best lines, one liners and funny comments. Then the best “moment” and fight scenes.

Then imagine the two main stars as being 20 years older and a different younger Morpheus and Mr Smith with the same voices.

Then as the lines, fight scenes were shown in the three movies , blend and compress them into one movie.

SpiderFox

Clanker
Official_movie_poster_to_The_Battle_at_Lake_Changjin.png

The Battle at Lake Changjin

A Chinese made film (their most expensive ever according to Wiki) set in the Korean War in late 1950 which shows the heroic PVA (Peoples Volunteer Army) pushing the US Marines back over the Yalu River and "laid the foundation for the final victory of the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea".

Lot's of battle scenes, some well done, I'm not a Korean War expert but the uniforms and equipment looked right. The hand-to-hand combat was particularly bloody, and it was strange to see the Chinese as the heroes. How historically accurate it is I've no idea. MacArthur and Mao get a few lines each, which is more than any Koreans do; there isn't a single one to be seen!

Unfortunately there's a ridiculous overuse of CGI, Matrix-style-bullet-time nonsense, and (of course) the sharpshooter that only needs one bullet to hit the strategically placed explosives 5 miles away, at night, while under fire, which completely changes the course of the battle. It's as if the filmmakers have used the Transformers and Fast and Furious films as their sole inspiration.

There's probably a good film in amongst this 2 hours and 50 minutes long mess, but I found it tiresome. I appear to be in the minority though as it was the second highest grossing film of 2021.

From the final scenes:
"Over 197,000 heroic Chinese people sacrificed their lives during the war...More than 300,000 heroes...as well as nearly 6,000 meritorious units emerged. The mighty martyrs of the PVA will never be forgotten!"

Silent Hours, on Netflix.

A really good British film, set in Portsmouth. A private detective, called Duval, becomes involved in several murders where the corpse is beheaded and dismembered. The victims are people he has been hired to investigate or is involved with them. Duval is so close to the cases that he is eventually arrested but because of the nature of the crimes he is sent to a psychiatrist for evaluation to see if he is fit to plead.

Duval is a former RN Lt Cmdr whose ship was sunk in the Falklands which gave him a fear of the sea, making life as a naval officer difficult so he is reassigned to Naval Intelligence, but after a while decides to leave the Service, and becomes said private detective.

A very tense film with a very tight, well written script; lots of twists and turns with an eerie ending, all of which kept me going through the movie.

A definite 4.5 out of 5 from me.

Just watched it last night, brilliant film, totally gripping all the way through to the end.

View attachment 631799
The Battle at Lake Changjin

A Chinese made film (their most expensive ever according to Wiki) set in the Korean War in late 1950 which shows the heroic PVA (Peoples Volunteer Army) pushing the US Marines back over the Yalu River and "laid the foundation for the final victory of the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea".

Lot's of battle scenes, some well done, I'm not a Korean War expert but the uniforms and equipment looked right. The hand-to-hand combat was particularly bloody, and it was strange to see the Chinese as the heroes. How historically accurate it is I've no idea. MacArthur and Mao get a few lines each, which is more than any Koreans do; there isn't a single one to be seen!

Unfortunately there's a ridiculous overuse of CGI, Matrix-style-bullet-time nonsense, and (of course) the sharpshooter that only needs one bullet to hit the strategically placed explosives 5 miles away, at night, while under fire, which completely changes the course of the battle. It's as if the filmmakers have used the Transformers and Fast and Furious films as their sole inspiration.

There's probably a good film in amongst this 2 hours and 50 minutes long mess, but I found it tiresome. I appear to be in the minority though as it was the second highest grossing film of 2021.

From the final scenes:
"Over 197,000 heroic Chinese people sacrificed their lives during the war...More than 300,000 heroes...as well as nearly 6,000 meritorious units emerged. The mighty martyrs of the PVA will never be forgotten!"
Ah but they never needed to make a version of MASH

I have continued my James Bond watching and have just watched Live and Let Die. All very enjoyable, usual stuff, but I was most impressed by the slow marching of the band in New Orleans