What film have you just watched?

I think they were hit by over 50 rounds between them, some researchers have said 50 odd each!....they had trouble embalming them becasue they kept leaking, It was close range and brutal, loads of rounds went though the side window at head height, so the metalwork holes are only a part of it:

"Each of us six officers had a shotgun and an automatic rifle and pistols. We opened fire with the automatic rifles. They were emptied before the car got even with us. Then we used shotguns. There was smoke coming from the car, and it looked like it was on fire. After shooting the shotguns, we emptied the pistols at the car, which had passed us and ran into a ditch about 50 yards on down the road. It almost turned over. We kept shooting at the car even after it stopped. We weren’t taking any chances.”

This clip is not 100% accutrate with the desciption of events by those involved but it gives a good impression of what happened...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It docked safely and everyone went on to lead a happy and rewarding life
Yes but....
Tidy_iceberg-500x439.jpg

Bordon/hants

War Hero
Phew! That's a relief.
The truly amazing fact about the whole affair for me, if you watched the programme of the first filmng,(which was almost like the moon landings such was the media interest.)

Was when they finally found it after years of searching, and somehow managed to get the submersible down with the camera , and then all above watched in sombre silence as the feed came back, first at the sight of the debris field, then the gasps as the bow loomed into sight.......and then more gasps and shots of "Go back with the camera....Check again!"

The bleedin' swimmng pool was still full after all that time!

(I'll get my coat).

Last edited:

964ST

LE
Bendydick Cucumberpatch's presence in any film is a good combat indicator for me to avoid it like the plague. If hell existed, there'd be a special place in it reserved for him, that ******* Hobbit-playing twunt and Stephen Moffat for what they've done to the Sherlock Holmes canon.
I watched "Power of the Dog" on Netflix, with Bennie Cucumberpatch in it!!??

I realise it is based on a book written by the chap that "makes exceedingly good cakes!".

But what a "Waste of 2 hours and 8 mins of my life!" (It is more based on the drying time of a tin of paint), I do not reccomend watching it unless you are somebody that goes to "Film Festivals".

NSP

LE
I've just watched a very good film on Amazon Prime - 'Saving the Titanic'. A drama with a British/Irish cast, following the efforts of the engineers, electrical engineers and stokers who worked to keep the lights on as the liner sank. The acting is very good and the story poignant without being OTT. It is understated and a genuinely fitting memorial - again without becoming OTT heroic - to those involved.
I struggled to find the chief engineer a believable character after he had to ask a junior how many ballast and bilge pumps the ship had, and the volume they could shift per hour.

Bread and butter stuff to all the Chiefs I've sailed with, that knowledge.

I struggled to find the chief engineer a believable character after he had to ask a junior how many ballast and bilge pumps the ship had, and the volume they could shift per hour.

Bread and butter stuff to all the Chiefs I've sailed with, that knowledge.
How did you find the rest of it? (if you don't mind saying).

I once read the film Titanic described as ‘the story of a woman who goes down on a big steamer’.

Last edited:
I watched "Power of the Dog" on Netflix, with Bennie Cucumberpatch in it!!??

I realise it is based on a book written by the chap that "makes exceedingly good cakes!".

But what a "Waste of 2 hours and 8 mins of my life!" (It is more based on the drying time of a tin of paint), I do not reccomend watching it unless you are somebody that goes to "Film Festivals".
First aware of him while watching Parades End, tbh more interested in Adelaide Clemons whom I recognized her from a few lines in the Pacific where Sledge applies for college. Certainly he's no Michael Caine

ches

LE
The Negotiator on Prime. Not the Spacey/Jackson, this stars the excellent John Hamm (of Mad Men fame), Rosamund Pike & a decent support cast. Begins in Beruit 72 with Hamm as a US embassy CIA bod who is very handy with his local skills in arranging deals etc in a city at that time relatively calm. An incident occurs costing his wife her life.
Fast forward 10 years & just prior to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, Hamm is brought back into the region after spending the previous decade mourning his wife, sorting out employment disputes back in the US & generally boozing too much. He now has to pick up parts of his old life & negotiate the release of a CIA guy taken by one of the Islamic groups.

Very well done with the local colour of the time & a decent storyline.

The Negotiator on Prime. Not the Spacey/Jackson, this stars the excellent John Hamm (of Mad Men fame), Rosamund Pike & a decent support cast. Begins in Beruit 72 with Hamm as a US embassy CIA bod who is very handy with his local skills in arranging deals etc in a city at that time relatively calm. An incident occurs costing his wife her life.
Fast forward 10 years & just prior to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, Hamm is brought back into the region after spending the previous decade mourning his wife, sorting out employment disputes back in the US & generally boozing too much. He now has to pick up parts of his old life & negotiate the release of a CIA guy taken by one of the Islamic groups.

Very well done with the local colour of the time & a decent storyline.
Thanks for that; just watched it again. Hamm is excellent, but Pike more than a bit wooden, as usual. Oh well.
I was pointed at 'Reasonable doubt' at the end, which I've also seen before, but worthwhile seeing again.

quilter

War Hero
Partisan, Channel 4 - Walter Presents, a Nordic noir, very dark but intriguing., starring one of my fave European actors (Fares Fares) but I was not aware of this until the opening sequence so I knew then this would be good stuff. Swedish with subtitles it is right up my street, well so far.

'The Professionals' (1966) (No, not the dire 2020 project in peaceful law abiding pro-pre-Colonisation S. Africa that got shot at, robbed and carjacked on a daily basis)

View attachment 618789View attachment 618790
The film was adapted for the screen by its director Richard Brooks, who based the screenplay on the novel A Mule for the Marquesa by Frank O'Rourke

Mr Brooks was a man who did not believe in 'jumping the shark', ie, insulting the viewers sense of the credible, as if so frequently done today with CGI. He was a good writer, and while serving in the USMC he adapted Ernest Hemingway's book 'The Killers' into a screenplay which he handed to John Huston in a bar. It had needed work and they cooperated together in doing just that although the studio had veteran writer Anthony Veiller tweek it and he stole the credit. (Burt Lancaster had made his screen debut in 'The Killers' in the 1946 version and Lee Marvin starred in the 1964 version).
Brooks wanted ex-military playing the four professional soldiers of fortune. Robert Ryan, whom he had served with in the marine corps, Ex-USMC, Lee Marvin, Woody Strode ex USAAF, and Burt Lancaster, albeit Burt had served in the US Army's equivalent of 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' .
With past personal experience and direction they looked the part of four men with good reputations but down on their luck, taking on the contract to rescue a millionaires kidnapped wife , Claudia Cardinale, from ruthless Mexican revolutionary, Jack Palance. (Stand by for the woke weepers cancelling the film and Palance for 'browning up')

Off they trot across a fierce desert patrolled Palance's men, four against a hundred, utilising surprise in order to earn $10000 each in bringing her back safely.
Obviously, no plan survives first contact and this one does not even last as long as the end of the O Group.

Bl@@dy good action and adventure on YouTube 'The Professionals'

Watched it last night. A good movie in the classic western style (and possibly infuential wrt Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch).

I think Lee Marvin stole most of the scenes though... ;-)

no f in beer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
'The Last Bus' - $ky movies - Timothy Spall.

Chap travelling from john o groats to Lands end on his bus pass. Bit more to it than that. Put it on as background noise, ended up watching, Gentle (mostly) film, lots of flashbacks I thought Spall played the part excellently

5 bus passes out of 5

What about the not so good parts? Is it worth a watch or not? In your opinion of course.
Both lead actors are very good. Some parts of the story are formulaic and a bit dull (the training sequence) but the action sequences are good and it's nicely paced so you don't feel like it's dragging along.

Slime

LE
Recently watched: Cowboys and aliens.

I was surprised at how much I liked the film.
The film is pretty well known, but for those unaware of it it’s a period Western film, but with aliens rather than an alien film set in the West.

The film stars:
Daniel Craig.
Harrison Ford.
Olivia Wilde.

Well worth a watch, and with lots of action.

I’ve had the blu-ray for a few years, but just never got round to seeing it until now.