What film have you just watched?

Dune on 'flixhd', which may or may not be a legal, malware-free site (I don't know, but the quality of the film was top-rate, and I receive no warnings from antivirus).

NSP

LE
South Park Post-COVID (feature length animation). The foul-mouthed cartoon scamps are all grown up now, some time in the future, implying that the pandemic restrictions have rumbled on for almost forty years. Almost as funny as it used to be when the series first appeared on TV. Alexas are now fully-formed free-thinking holographic projections that bitch and argue and criticise just like a real wife, Cartman's a rabbi and Kenny's found the cure for COVID. Chaos ensues...

Takes the piss out of wokeism quite nicely, too.

Last edited:
I have not seen it but I am looking forward to seeing the chiller 'Shepherd'

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
The Harder They Fall on Netflix.
Meh! Don't bother.
Slow and wooden acting with a predictable ending.
2 overpowered revolver shots out of 5.

Slime

LE
The Harder They Fall on Netflix.
Meh! Don't bother.
Slow and wooden acting with a predictable ending.
2 overpowered revolver shots out of 5.

Instead of: The harder they fall, you could have watched The harder they come :)

Much better film, and with an excellent soundtrack :)

Slime

LE
I just watched the 1963 film:
The mouse on the moon.

A truly excellent and funny eccentric ‘60s British comedy film with a good quota of British comedy greats.

I have to admit to laughing at the film all the way through, a real tonic on a lazy Sunday afternoon :)

I’ve added a youtube link below, but for clarity this film isn’t ‘The mouse that roared’ but a later film.

Trivia wise:
One of the actors is Bernard Cribbins, who does much better in the comedic space role in this film than he did in the cinema version of Dr Who.
The film also has Ed Bishop as an American spaceman, the actor who later played Ed Straker in Gerry Anderson’s UFO.

Last of all, the film featured parodies of American and Russian moon rocket launches, and portrayed both countries having a countdown to blast off. This brings up two further points. A, Russians/Soviets don’t have an actual countdown like the Americans do, and B, The idea of a countdown for a rocket launch was invented by Fritz Lang to add suspense to his 1929 film: Frau im Mond.

Chef

LE
We watched 'A Canterbury tale' 1944. An amiable Powell and Pressburger film. The opening scene where a stooping medieval falcon morphs into a WWII fighter thus advancing the film 600 years to the present is possibly the inspiration for Kubrick's opening scene in '2001 A space odyssey'.

A gentle film well worth sticking through to the end.

Oh well, please yourselves.

Slime

LE
May as well add the countdown sequence from Frau im Mond.

For a film that was forty years before the US lunar landing, and now approaching one hundred years old, a lot of the science was correct in this film.

TamH70

MIA
I am steadily getting used to my Amazon Fire Stick 4K max thingy - l watched a couple of films on it today, one being "Donnie Brasco", with Johnny Depp in the title role, and a rarely-better Al Pacino as the wiseguy whose endorsement meant that Brasco's operation was wildly more successful than the FBI intended, Benjamin 'Lefty' Ruggiero, and the other being Chuck Heston's original version of "Planet of the Apes", which is far superior to Marky Mark's 2001 version.

(I think that the 2000's versions with Andy Serkis playing the chimp are available, but as I said on this thread before I don't watch shit films except for losing a bet or someone's holding me at knifepoint, and those films stink of shite so badly l don't need to watch them to know that they are.)

It's quite nice watching films like that with no background fan noise from either my PC or my PS3, and the picture quality is high standard too.

I posted this up on the ‘What TV programme have you just watched’, but as it was a film, it’s relevant here too.

Binge watched the first two 90 minute episodes of the original Stieg Larsson’s Millennium: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Wow. Just wow.
Currently being rerun on BBC 4 on Saturday evenings. Scandi Noir at its very best. Noomi Rapace, who plays Lisbeth is astonishing.
9/10.

Last edited:

Oh well, please yourselves.

.... just seen this ... have another like .... missed the significance first time round .

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I posted this up on the ‘What TV programme have you just watched’, but as it was a film, it’s relevant here too.

Just binge watched the first two 90 minute episodes of the original Stieg Larsson’s Millennium: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Wow. Just wow.
Currently being rerun on BBC 4 on Saturday evenings. Scandi Noir at its very best. Noomi Rapace, who plays Lisbeth is just astonishing.
9/10.
I watched the film Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on Saturday. No particular reason, and up to now I had not fancied it. But what a film! It is a long film but does not seem so - the sign of a really well made and good film.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend anyone to watch it. Daniel Craig plays his part well as the journo who is out of his depth but knows he is on to something. As slippers says Noomi Rapace is fantastic as the troubled but genius eponymous girl.

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Ghostbusters, at the cinema. The new one by Ivan Reitmans son, Jason, not the all girl one. This one is a homage to the original, i think the perfect cap to the first 2 that starred the original cast. Had most of the original cast in it (most of you will be thinking there ought to be at least one exception, well, think of the first part of the films name ;-). Even had some of the same villains! And if you hang around to the end you not only get Ray Parker Jrs song but 2 end credit sequences, one of which seems to be the setup for a further film. Notwithstanding all the above, most of the film is based younger characters investigating, bit like a cross between the Goonies and and the original. 4 free floating ectoplasmic disturbances out of 5

I watched the film Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on Saturday. No particular reason, and up to now I had not fancied it. But what a film! It is a long film but does not seem so - the sign of a really well made and good film.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend anyone to watch it. Daniel Craig plays his part well as the journo who is out of his depth but knows he is on to something. As slippers says Noomi Rapace is fantastic as the troubled but genius eponymous girl.
AY, if you watched the Daniel Craig version it would be a different actress playing Lisbeth. I believe it was a lass called Rooney Mara.
By all accounts it is a very accomplished reboot. I was referring to the original 2009 Swedish version with English subtitles. The whole trilogy (3 x double episodes of 90 minutes) is currently being shown on Saturday evenings on BBC4.

Ad Astra.
After the earth is hit by a series of surges Brad Pitt is sent to Neptune to confront his father who they believe is . . . . . . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 2+ hours were very little of interest happens and what does defies logic and reality.
One Z out of ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Hyena.
OTT corrupt Met coppers try to cozy up to Albanian crooks after they "muscle in" on the Turks who were the previous drug runners on their manor.
Things don't go as planned as not only are the Albanians not as affable as expected (who knew!) but PSD are on his case as well.
Gritty, grim but a bit overdone and not a pleasant watch at times. They knocked back that much booze & coke I'm surprised they could tie there own shoelaces.
6 out of 10, would have been 7 were it not for the ending.

I am steadily getting used to my Amazon Fire Stick 4K max thingy - l watched a couple of films on it today, one being "Donnie Brasco", with Johnny Depp in the title role, and a rarely-better Al Pacino as the wiseguy whose endorsement meant that Brasco's operation was wildly more successful than the FBI intended, Benjamin 'Lefty' Ruggiero, and the other being Chuck Heston's original version of "Planet of the Apes", which is far superior to Marky Mark's 2001 version.

(I think that the 2000's versions with Andy Serkis playing the chimp are available, but as I said on this thread before I don't watch shit films except for losing a bet or someone's holding me at knifepoint, and those films stink of shite so badly l don't need to watch them to know that they are.)

It's quite nice watching films like that with no background fan noise from either my PC or my PS3, and the picture quality is high standard too.
Forgedaboudit!

I've rewatched Donnie Brasco a few times now.
Great film and one of Depp's few good performances, though Pacino's performance is the real heart of the movie.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
AY, if you watched the Daniel Craig version it would be a different actress playing Lisbeth. I believe it was a lass called Rooney Mara.
By all accounts it is a very accomplished reboot. I was referring to the original 2009 Swedish version with English subtitles. The whole trilogy (3 x double episodes of 90 minutes) is currently being shown on Saturday evenings on BBC4.
Thanks, I must look for that. Catch up TV is a boon.

Re: 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', I think it's been made c. three times, with the Daniel Craig film being the most nuanced, and with Rooney Mara the best Lisbeth (IMO). Stellan Skarsgard is outstanding.

I read the original three books by Stieg Larsson which were excellent. The three written by David Lagercrantz after Larrson died were also good. However I felt that he watered down Lisbeth Salanders propensity for violence and something was lost.
Nevertheless if I was snowed in a Yorkshire hotel with an Oasis cover band for entertainment then all six and a set of ear plugs would be a life saving alternative.

Last edited:

Latest Threads