What film have you just watched?

Around my REME mates for a couple of beers, looking through Prime for a war film to watch, we came across this.
1944 The Final Defence.
Finland fighting the Russian hordes, I don’t think I’ve see so much explosives used in a film in years. T34s, KV1s, all the right weapons.
I’ll leave it at that ***** stars.

RNR Stoker

Clanker
Last night I watched: Vampire circus, a very drab Hammer horror.
Overall the film was pretty naff, and full of plot holes.
In fact the plot holes and ignoring of ‘vampire cannon law’ was more interesting than anything else imho.

Two things worth noting though were:
David Prowse was the film, and given the title it’s no surprise he played a circus strong man. )

Lalla Ward was also in it, she is known for playing the Dr Who assistant ‘Romana‘ from 1979-81.
And don't forget the naked lady painted as a big cat

TamH70

MIA
Just watched the first film on my new Amazon Fire Stick 4K thingy, "V for Vendetta". Brilliant film, brilliant picture through the box.

Slime

LE
And don't forget the naked lady painted as a big cat

Yes, one of the two naked women in that film, but after a while it’s can get more interesting to see Hammers constant attempt at pushing the boundaries of the censors than the actual naked women themselves.

A recent Hammer I watched was Crescendo. Again, Hammer made sure a fairly unknown* actress did a full frontier nude scene, while it was only when Stephanie Powers did her topless scene that there was something worth looking at :)

The British censors hated Hammer films in the ‘60 and ‘70s due to Hammer always trying to push the boundaries of gore or throwing in nude women for the sake of it :)

*The nude tiger women in Vampire Circus was part of a circus act, with the chap in the film being her circus partner in real life.

Slime

LE
Just watched the first film on my new Amazon Fire Stick 4K thingy, "V for Vendetta". Brilliant film, brilliant picture through the box.

Did the plot remind you of another film or book?

I haven’t watched the film for years, but remember thinking the plot was lifted from something else.

A bit like the first half of ‘The island’ just being similar to the film ‘Logan’s run’.

Blogg

LE
Crimson Peak on Amazon Prime

Victorian Gothic horror complete with skint Brit Aristo rotter on the make, mad sister, heady whiff of incest, murder and of course the obligatory ghosts.

Better than reading the washing instructions on your clothes

Even Guardian sort of liked it

Did the plot remind you of another film or book?

I haven’t watched the film for years, but remember thinking the plot was lifted from something else.

A bit like the first half of ‘The island’ just being similar to the film ‘Logan’s run’.
It was a comic book, oops, graphic novel.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Duty tonight so last night stayed up and had a medieval festival, kicked off with Mr Charlton Heston in El Cid, then a bit of Kingdom of Heaven and just finished watching a 3 part series about the crusades, bed now then up much later for duty.

Around my REME mates for a couple of beers, looking through Prime for a war film to watch, we came across this.
1944 The Final Defence.
Finland fighting the Russian hordes, I don’t think I’ve see so much explosives used in a film in years. T34s, KV1s, all the right weapons.
One thing about Finnish films featuring their own tanks is that a lot of the tanks are genuine examples from their tank museum at Parola and they are genuine survivors of the real battles; StuGs, T-34s and Panzers, as well as several artillery guns.

One thing about Finnish films featuring their own tanks is that a lot of the tanks are genuine examples from their tank museum at Parola and they are genuine survivors of the real battles; StuGs, T-34s and Panzers, as well as several artillery guns.
I was pretty stocked looking at all the working armour, especially the KV1. But the barrel was false.

Farewell My Lovely the 1975 film of Raymond Chandler's famous creation Phillip Marlow in an intriguing case. It's on a Freeview channel.

Robert Mitchum takes lead role, with a seriously stick-thin Charlotte Rampling and a pre-steroid Sly Stallone in support. John Ireland and Harry Dean Stanton support Mitchum in the 'real' acting stakes as bent coppers. It has a 1941 time era with Mickey Mantle performances being mentioned throughout the story if only to cement the period.

By today's standards, it's a popcorn yarn with classic 'one-liners' - " that car stands out, it's like wearing spats to an Iowa picknic". Albeit for another thread on here, villains all get shot in the stomach and die instantly. I thought it an absolute cracker of a film.

8 fedoras with wide lapel jacket suits out of 10.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
See Midway with Woody Harrelson for a bad remake. About the ONLY good thing is showing the Midway based sorties against the Japanese fleet which the Charlton Heston version ignored.

Plus today unless you had the actors take massive salary cuts you could not afford such an all star cast as then.
Midway was awful.

Special effects were no better than 2001(?)s Pearl Harbor. No characterisation, no story, just endless waves of cartoony CGI.

They make shiite films these days. All the interesting stuff is coming out of other countries, Hollywood should be renamed Hollowood because everything is a pale, worse imitation of something better.

Farewell My Lovely the 1975 film of Raymond Chandler's famous creation Phillip Marlow in an intriguing case. It's on a Freeview channel.

Robert Mitchum takes lead role, with a seriously stick-thin Charlotte Rampling and a pre-steroid Sly Stallone in support. John Ireland and Harry Dean Stanton support Mitchum in the 'real' acting stakes as bent coppers. It has a 1941 time era with Mickey Mantle performances being mentioned throughout the story if only to cement the period.

By today's standards, it's a popcorn yarn with classic 'one-liners' - " that car stands out, it's like wearing spats to an Iowa picknic". Albeit for another thread on here, villains all get shot in the stomach and die instantly. I thought it an absolute cracker of a film.

8 fedoras with wide lapel jacket suits out of 10.

A film I have never seen ... just checked and it is also available , for free , on YouTube ... will watch later .

A film I have never seen ... just checked and it is also available , for free , on YouTube ... will watch later .

Well worth it.
It's also interesting to watch the Elliot Gould take on Marlowe too. A very different interpretation. And, of course, Bogey is the version!

I cannot recommend Chandler's books highly enough. Stunning writing. His humour is like a stiletto..

(Got to wonder how much of his writing was binned when he was a contracted Hollywood screenwriter because the studio owned everything he wrote and I mean everything whilst he was on. contract.)

Plus, he was a very good egg: he served in the Gordons (CEF) in WW1. Old school!

I'm a big fan of his as I was very lucky in being able to persuade my personal tutor at college to go to bat for me with our English prof to bend/alter a Lit module so I could submit an assessed essay on him. Still, that was a walk in the park compared to the brouhaha when I submitted my dissertation outline for Terry Pratchett: who?!

1944 The Final Defence.
Seen that it was excellent

They make shiite films these days. All the interesting stuff is coming out of other countries, Hollywood should be renamed Hollowood because everything is a pale, worse imitation of something better.
Then I refer you to the film I just posted. Finnish war film, 1944 The Last Defence. And to quote
Seen that it was excellent
I rest my case M’lord….

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
The filmed version of one of the highest-awarded Broadway shows of all time, "Hamilton", courtesy of a Disney Plus subscription.

It's pretty damned awesome. Not sure how historically accurate it is but I don't really care. Highlights are Leslie Odom Jr as Aaron Burr's "Wait for It", and Jonathan Groff as King George III's "You'll Be Back", which pops up throughout the show and offers sardonic and fairly accurate comments on the events.

Last edited:

wild_moose

War Hero
Nobody

Bob Odenkirk, AKA Saul Goodman, plays an unlikely action hero in this John Wick style thriller.

It doesn’t take itself too seriously and it’s pretty blooming good.

Recommended

'The Professionals' (1966) (No, not the dire 2020 project in peaceful law abiding pro-pre-Colonisation S. Africa that got shot at, robbed and carjacked on a daily basis)

the prof.jpg
The_Professionals-262359818-large.jpg

The film was adapted for the screen by its director Richard Brooks, who based the screenplay on the novel A Mule for the Marquesa by Frank O'Rourke

Mr Brooks was a man who did not believe in 'jumping the shark', ie, insulting the viewers sense of the credible, as if so frequently done today with CGI. He was a good writer, and while serving in the USMC he adapted Ernest Hemingway's book 'The Killers' into a screenplay which he handed to John Huston in a bar. It had needed work and they cooperated together in doing just that although the studio had veteran writer Anthony Veiller tweek it and he stole the credit. (Burt Lancaster had made his screen debut in 'The Killers' in the 1946 version and Lee Marvin starred in the 1964 version).
Brooks wanted ex-military playing the four professional soldiers of fortune. Robert Ryan, whom he had served with in the marine corps, Ex-USMC, Lee Marvin, Woody Strode ex USAAF, and Burt Lancaster, albeit Burt had served in the US Army's equivalent of 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' .
With past personal experience and direction they looked the part of four men with good reputations but down on their luck, taking on the contract to rescue a millionaires kidnapped wife , Claudia Cardinale, from ruthless Mexican revolutionary, Jack Palance. (Stand by for the woke weepers cancelling the film and Palance for 'browning up')

Off they trot across a fierce desert patrolled Palance's men, four against a hundred, utilising surprise in order to earn $10000 each in bringing her back safely.
Obviously, no plan survives first contact and this one does not even last as long as the end of the O Group.

Bl@@dy good action and adventure on YouTube 'The Professionals'

Chef

LE
We watched 'A Canterbury tale' 1944. An amiable Powell and Pressburger film. The opening scene where a stooping medieval falcon morphs into a WWII fighter thus advancing the film 600 years to the present is possibly the inspiration for Kubrick's opening scene in '2001 A space odyssey'.

A gentle film well worth sticking through to the end.

Latest Threads