What film have you just watched?

Proff3RTR

War Hero
The trouble with remaking films in this day and age like A Bridge to Far, or The Longest Day, is that you end up with a remake looking like nothing you’d want to watch.
Agree, but I am thinking more along the lines of Band of Brothers, where Hollywood is not in sight, and the actual film is remade as close to the original as possible but with today’s cgi and effects, mental.

Fixed it for you
Gerrrrrmans (grrr).
Also, Monty will be a black man and John Frost will become Joan Frost.
All Brit toms will be “Gor’ blimey luv a duck” cockneys with Dick Van Dyke accents whereas the officers will be Canadian with LA accents.

NSP

LE
I've just watched A Clockwork Orange, which some of you may have heard of, for only the second time. The wonderful thing, for me, was that the first time I watched it it had just been released and I was still at school. How time flies.

Horrorshow.
Kharasho, comrade.

Nasterovia!!!

We watched it at uni'. I took great delight at my mates telling me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said the Maloko Milk Bar was called that because the Russian for milk is maloko (although one should pronounce it maloka). And then they spotted the Russian-language text books and dictionary on my shelf...

NSP

LE
Nobody. Fucking excellent!!!

Apex. What the fuck? I mean, the thing with the M203 flying a couple of three metres and then detonating, burning out the room and leaving the baddie crispy but Brucie unharmed to walk away? Jeez!! Concur with earlier comments that it is pants. Although the blonde chick is hot - especially when the mine goes off. Other chick playing the boss is the lass in Jack Reacher who sets him up for the kicking that goes wrong in the bar and then gets tracked down by him to the auto-parts store.

River of Death. 1989 flick of one of Alaister MacLean's last novels, which I have read and is quite a good story. As usual, the film bears little relation to the book. In fact, I think the only film of an AM novel that is remotely close to the book is Ice Station Zebra.

RNR Stoker

Clanker
I recently watched again the film “ The Yangtse Incident “ … this film has been mentioned glowingly a few times on this forum … it is available for free on You Tube .

Today by chance I came across this film clip of a 1949 victory parade through London after return to the UK … some observations …

No armed Police to protect the Naval personnel or the public .

Some fine marching and even the RAF Doctor caught up in the incident has acquired a bit of a swagger / roll .

Example of “ Fog / Smog “ which blighted London at the time .

Not masses of people trying to take photographs or selfies .

London was certainly looking drab ... to paraphrase Churchill following the Battle of the River Plate bet that parade warmed the cockles of their hearts .

No sign of Simon?

"Willy's Wonderland" - On Amazon for £1.99.

Nicholas Cage plays a wordless janitor in this action horror comedy with animatronic puppets gone wrong. Similar to the "The Banana Splits Movie."

Five Nights at Freddy's out of Five.

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
Wheels of Terror. From the Sven Hassle novel of the same name.

Has a few recognisable faces in it, including David Carradine . Not a great movie, only watched it as back in my BAOR days there were many Sven Hassle books being passed around my unit and I was interested to see one of the books in film as it were.
3/10 for effort, and that's a bit generous.

Andy Bear

Swinger
Discovered this as a freebie on YouTube. The Bunker, starring Anthony Hopkins , who gives a very good performance as Hitler. It has a strong cast, but has that made for TV look. Nonetheless, I found it quite compelling . Worth a watch...

NSP

LE
Venom: Let There Be Carnage. Tom Hardy chews the scenery. Not as good as the first one.

Slime

LE
I've just watched A Clockwork Orange, which some of you may have heard of, for only the second time. The wonderful thing, for me, was that the first time I watched it it had just been released and I was still at school. How time flies.

Horrorshow.

The first time I watched it I thought it was superb.

The subsequent times were even better as by then I had learned the premise was based around the idea the cold war had ended, and that the Soviets had won, hence the smattering of Russian words in the script.

Slime

LE
Last night I watched: Vampire circus, a very drab Hammer horror.
Overall the film was pretty naff, and full of plot holes.
In fact the plot holes and ignoring of ‘vampire cannon law’ was more interesting than anything else imho.

Two things worth noting though were:
David Prowse was the film, and given the title it’s no surprise he played a circus strong man. )

Lalla Ward was also in it, she is known for playing the Dr Who assistant ‘Romana‘ from 1979-81.

Bloody insomnia was driving me up the wall so went downstairs, opened a beer or two and did a short Vincent Price DVD film season featuring ‘The Theatre Of Blood’, ‘The Abominable Doctor Phibes’ and ‘Doctor Phibes Rises Again’. Bliss.

964ST

LE
Not sure I agree with you. It's a continuation of the same storyline from JW1. John still has the contract on him from the Russian Bratva boss that he killed at the end of the movie, but there is an added wrinkle with that Italian Mafia bloke wanting his sister's seat at the High Table by any means necessary, so he calls in the Marker for John to kill her. And since things go more than a bit Pete Tong when the Italian Mafia bloke puts a contract on John as well - which escalates further when John shoots him in the bar of the Continental Hotel, meaning that the High Table puts a contract on John as well.

There are consequences for treating a streetkid turned kid assassin turned Force Recon Marine turned assassin turned married man turned widow when you kill his dog and steal his car.

I don't know how far they can drag the series out though. Four would be okay, five would be pushing it, but six movies in the series would be utterly taking the piss.
Had a "flashforward" to John Wick 5 when he returns with Ted and rescues the cute dog from that cockless northern (russian) chap!

But then the space-time continuim is breached and reallity takes a turn for the worse!

Trump, Biden & Johnson?

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
Bloody insomnia was driving me up the wall so went downstairs, opened a beer or two and did a short Vincent Price DVD film season featuring ‘The Theatre Of Blood’, ‘The Abominable Doctor Phibes’ and ‘Doctor Phibes Rises Again’. Bliss.
The Dr Phibes films are great.

The Dr Phibes films are great.
Totally agree but Vincent Price hamming it up to the max in ‘The Theatre Of Blood’ is one of my all time faves.

The trouble with remaking films in this day and age like A Bridge to Far, or The Longest Day, is that you end up with a remake looking like nothing you’d want to watch.
See Midway with Woody Harrelson for a bad remake. About the ONLY good thing is showing the Midway based sorties against the Japanese fleet which the Charlton Heston version ignored.

Plus today unless you had the actors take massive salary cuts you could not afford such an all star cast as then.

Latest Threads