What film have you just watched?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Life
The crew on the space station receive soil samples from Mars, a tiny organism is found which they reanimate.
The story jogs along, then things go very Pete ,very quickly.
Entirely predictable outcome.
Four Calvin’s out of ten.

I'm feeling more charitable than you.

I liked it, it was a blatant ripoff of Alien, but IIRC, I watched it with the wife on a rainy Tuesday at the cinema and there was about six people in the whole screen.

As you say, it was predictable, but I thought it was well done and when thingy died, I thought it was a nice subversion of expectation.

NSP

LE
What a brilliant name! If they ever make a Hard Target 3, they'll have to set it in Denmark.

Robert Knepper= Robert fucks, or is *******
Well, he's already fucked as his character, being the main baddie, predictably meets with being shredded by a hail of automatic rifle fire in the closing scenes.

The Lighthouse on Netflix

Well, it’s a 2018 film in black and white with Willem Dofoe and I think Robert Pattinson.

What a sh1t film, from what I could tell it’s about 2 men masturbating, going mad after 4 weeks together in an island (weak as piss) and the magical glow of a lightbulb.

Avoid at all costs, it’s garbage, I thought it may have some clever or sinister twist but it doesn’t, it’s just 2 men, w4nking and shagging a mattress complete with mirkin and carved mermaid with not T1to that they spaff off over.

Then drink what I assume is kerosene as the booze runs out which hastens the crappy madness.

An odd bit at the end when ‘the captain’ is told, and complies to act like a dog and he crawls to his open grave and dies eating about 2 grams of dirt.

If you think this is a spoiler, it isn’t, you can thank me later.

From the Daily Telegraph review.

House of Gucci

"It may have been decades since a studio production last had the nerve to stage a scene as funny and sexy as the one here in which Gaga and Salma Hayek sit side by side in a mud bath, larding their bosoms with gunge, and weighing the relative merits of hexing a foe with black magic and simply having him shot in the head. Fellini himself would have applauded, once his eyeballs had stopped bobbing around on springs."

1637672012070.jpeg

Oy, wait for me!!!

Last edited:
I've just watched A Clockwork Orange, which some of you may have heard of, for only the second time. The wonderful thing, for me, was that the first time I watched it it had just been released and I was still at school. How time flies.

Horrorshow.

From the film's wiki
"Although the film received generally negative reviews from critics, it became the most-watched film in its debut weekend on Netflix. Two sequels, to be shot back-to-back, are currently[when?] in development."

Due to CV19 the film did not get much of a chance in the cinema, but seems to have been popular with the sofa crowd (including me).
That may explain the huge budget it was given.

TamH70

MIA
Yeah, disappointed with JW 2&3. No storylines to speak of, just a never-ending succession of action sequences. I thought the original was strangely touching, but 2 & 3 just wanted to be a stuntman's orgasm.

Not sure I agree with you. It's a continuation of the same storyline from JW1. John still has the contract on him from the Russian Bratva boss that he killed at the end of the movie, but there is an added wrinkle with that Italian Mafia bloke wanting his sister's seat at the High Table by any means necessary, so he calls in the Marker for John to kill her. And since things go more than a bit Pete Tong when the Italian Mafia bloke puts a contract on John as well - which escalates further when John shoots him in the bar of the Continental Hotel, meaning that the High Table puts a contract on John as well.

There are consequences for treating a streetkid turned kid assassin turned Force Recon Marine turned assassin turned married man turned widow when you kill his dog and steal his car.

I don't know how far they can drag the series out though. Four would be okay, five would be pushing it, but six movies in the series would be utterly taking the piss.

Not sure I agree with you. It's a continuation of the same storyline from JW1. John still has the contract on him from the Russian Bratva boss that he killed at the end of the movie, but there is an added wrinkle with that Italian Mafia bloke wanting his sister's seat at the High Table by any means necessary, so he calls in the Marker for John to kill her. And since things go more than a bit Pete Tong when the Italian Mafia bloke puts a contract on John as well - which escalates further when John shoots him in the bar of the Continental Hotel, meaning that the High Table puts a contract on John as well.

There are consequences for treating a streetkid turned kid assassin turned Force Recon Marine turned assassin turned married man turned widow when you kill his dog and steal his car.

I don't know how far they can drag the series out though. Four would be okay, five would be pushing it, but six movies in the series would be utterly taking the piss.
I agree that six movies may be stretching it a bit but the gun fights are worthy of an Oscar for Choreography. IMHO.

Does that mean watching them all from number one would be the only way to follow the storyline?

TamH70

MIA
Does that mean watching them all from number one would be the only way to follow the storyline?

Well, yeah, I think so.

I would much rather watch them than most other Hollywood movies.

The first one was entertaining but I've noticed in the subsequent JW's that the "Jap Slapping" has overtaken any kind of action scene, with a plethora of oriental types Jap/Chinee character, slapping his way through scenes in Russia or wherever, as though it's (jap slapping) the sole domain of short arsed children of the slant eye. God forbid they should cast a round eye baddie trying to slap the feck out of our John.
Or am I seeing something that isn't there?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Hmm, my memory may be iffy.

I will have to rewatch I think.

Personally, I think they're setting up JW4 as the denouement and that will be that (though, in Aug 2020, Lionsgate CEO made noise that they would shoot JW4 and 5 back to back).

Like you, I rather like the series: it doesn't take itself too seriously. There's cool guns, some rather delightful baddies, heavily tattooed babes, good chase scenes and Laurence Fishburne chewing up every bit scenery.

He has been of service :cool:

TamH70

MIA
The twins dust up in the mirrored room, homage to Bruce Lee?

Could be. The twins' boss being Mark Dacascos, in real life a noted martial arts actor and a fan of Sifu Lee, it wouldn't surprise me. Nails, all three of them. I love the way that John refused to kill the twins after their defeat because they didn't take the piss out of him at the start of their fight.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
A Bridge to far again! Awesome film from the glory days of war films, now, what I would like to see is all those old films remade but with today’s effects, won’t be the same clearly, but imagine films like A Bridge to Far with Band of Brothers special effects, bloody awesome.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
A Bridge to far again! Awesome film from the glory days of war films, now, what I would like to see is all those old films remade but with today’s effects, won’t be the same clearly, but imagine films like A Bridge to Far with Band of Brothers special effects, bloody awesome.
The trouble with remaking films in this day and age like A Bridge to Far, or The Longest Day, is that you end up with a remake looking like nothing you’d want to watch.

William Goldsmith has a great anecdote about A Bridge Too Far (Adventures In Screenwriting, I think). It revolves around the whole movie turning on the jump scenes, how the producer had put his own money up to finance it; one cock-up and the movie would have been junked because it was that expensive.

The trouble with remaking films in this day and age like A Bridge to Far, or The Longest Day, is that you end up with a remake looking like nothing you’d want to watch.
With clouds of P-51 Mustangs duffing up the krauts (coz the average Yank wouldn’t know a Tiffy if it hit him on the head) whilst the brave US troopers drive them from Holland and the British Tommy sits on his arse drinking tea.

Latest Threads