What film have you just watched?

Dead Snow.

View attachment 611317

Horny Norwegian students on ski holiday in remote cabin find treasure and attacked by Nazi zombies.

Cue lots of blood and guts, snow, a snow-ski and a chainsaw. English subtitles, mindless entertainment and no brain cells required.
The follow up film is literally a follow up. So much so, that there's a fan edit where the two films are cut together to make one long one.

B42T

LE
Tommy Lee Jones doin' his down-home accent as the sherriff in West Texas left benumbed by the drug wars in his backyard...

With Javier Bardem in his break out role as nasty psycho Anton Chigurh

From a really dark book by Cormac McCarthy, excellent.

That is a top, top film

Just watched The forgotten battle on Netflix about Walrechen which was on the route into the Antwerp port.We have a Dutch SS volunteer, resistance fighters, British glider troops, Canadians and evil Germans of course. It’s a bit of a muddled film made by Europeans and if I was one of those airborne types I wouldn’t be impressed with their portrayal and apart from iffy battle bowlers and tactics straight from the Somme it’s worth a watch.

3 clogs out of 5

B42T

LE
Just watched Sleepers on Netflix, a relatively old film, but, Ive not seen it before.
Not bad at all, although it is a bit generic with revenge being the main theme, would recommend. Supposed to be based on a true story, but who knows?

Watched The Forgotten Battle the other day, its ok but equally its a bit hoop in other places.
Who the fk would give themselves up to the nazis in their death throws? Daft.

The re-boot of Dune. Not too shabby and some very nice visuals. Well cast.

Yeah. Kinda.

The technical and visual aspects are truly stunning.

However.

The 1984 David Lynch effort was (for many) much too muddled: if you had no knowledge of the book, it was almost pointless trying to watch it.

Since that effort, I have read the book a couple of times. It still makes my head hurt.

This version has, in my view, was too long and would have benefited from a bit of brutal editing.

The thing is, Frank Herbert takes you through a roller coaster of 'stuff', nearly all of which presupposes prior knowledge.

Only there cannot be any prior knowledge and the writing, at times, borders on stream of consciousness.

. . . still, not an unpleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

4 Sardaukar Maula Pistols out of 5

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just watched The forgotten battle on Netflix about Walrechen which was on the route into the Antwerp port.We have a Dutch SS volunteer, resistance fighters, British glider troops, Canadians and evil Germans of course. It’s a bit of a muddled film made by Europeans and if I was one of those airborne types I wouldn’t be impressed with their portrayal and apart from iffy battle bowlers and tactics straight from the Somme it’s worth a watch.

3 clogs out of 5

Walcheren is an RM Battle Honour.....but then again, Globe & Laurel......

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yeah. Kinda.

The technical and visual aspects are truly stunning.

However.

The 1984 David Lynch effort was (for many) much too muddled: if you had no knowledge of the book, it was almost pointless trying to watch it.

Since that effort, I have read the book a couple of times. It still makes my head hurt.

This version has, in my view, was too long and would have benefited from a bit of brutal editing.

The thing is, Frank Herbert takes you through a roller coaster of 'stuff', nearly all of which presupposes prior knowledge.

Only there cannot be any prior knowledge and the writing, at times, borders on stream of consciousness.

. . . still, not an unpleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

4 Sardaukar Maula Pistols out of 5
Seeing it tomorrow, will ETA this post.

( am I alone in thinking ' Er ......that's not how I mentally pronounced ' Benny Guess erit ' ...or ' Duke Lee Toh At TRY des'...? but WTF )

< Obligatory: Die Harkonnen Scum ! >

Watching the Trailers since last year, praying to Shai-Hulud it's a faithful rendering of the book(s)

Edited to Add:
Watched it in Salisbury's homage to Tudor-era cinema.

I loved the book as a teenager; great story. I wasn't disappointed.
Actions sequences were well done and Timothy Chalumet makes a good skinny-kid youthful Paul Atreides....

The vile Baron Harkonnen and the Beast Rabban were well-cast, dunno why they had to change the sex of Dr Kynes the Imperial ecologist but :shrug: ....Soaring score by Hans Zimmer, shades of David Lean's 'Lawrence of Arabia'....

The Fremen 'blue-in-blue' eyes caused by long-term addiction to melange were always going to be difficult - this production did it better than the previous goat-fúck of a shambles by David Lynch.

The knife fight between the boy Paul and the seasoned Fremen killer Jamis was well done too....and the ornithopters were excellent, front cockpit of an Attack helo mated with a mutant steel dragonfly.
Zendaya does a good job of cold-eyed lioness Chani.
It helps if you are immersed in the book(s).

Overall, definite recommend from me.
Might even try to catch it on Imax next time I am obliged to visit that there London.

So yes - 5 Crys knives out of 5.

PS - I just re-watched the Trailer for the Dino de Laurentis/David Lynch version - and it was every bit as laughably awful as I remembered.

Last edited:
Just watched Sleepers on Netflix, a relatively old film, but, Ive not seen it before.
Not bad at all, although it is a bit generic with revenge being the main theme, would recommend. Supposed to be based on a true story, but who knows?

Watched The Forgotten Battle the other day, its ok but equally its a bit hoop in other places.
Who the fk would give themselves up to the nazis in their death throws? Daft.
Just reading of an MIA from a US Cavalry unit Ambushed by 300 Germans in Paseka, Czechoslovakia on May 4th, 1945. Troop C 2nd Cavalry Recce Sqn. Entire platoon captured (22 men) 2 KIA, 3WIA, and then released the next day.

PFC Fred W. Ashley was paralyzed from a gunshot to the spine was given a mercy shot to the back of his head by the Germans. He had been previously been hit by MG fire Aug 4th, 1944 in Brittany and after recovering went back to his platoon in Aug 29th, 1944.

56370958_6e31bd50-3a3c-4a19-ae07-09f48a0bc7e2.jpeg

NSP

LE
Just watched The forgotten battle on Netflix about Walrechen which was on the route into the Antwerp port.
We'd already taken Antwerp. This effort was to secure the northern side of the Scheldt so that we could move ships up the estuary to Antwerp without ze Germanz punching holes in them with shore batteries.

Let alone the hazard from the plethora of LMBs and other mines they sowed in the navigation channels.

No Time To Die.

Well, a series that spans 60 years finally finishes. Definitely the end of an era or three, especially as the films spanned the changing times and attitudes of the UK.
Lots and lots of references to previous Bonds, it was at times spot the quote/visual Easter egg. Definitely a film that will have media and social studies types using as a zeitgeist touchstone. (There were always topical digs throughout all of the 25 films - - and are we counting David Niven's?)
From the very opening scene to the last, it's a different Bond (and Bond movie) a more rounded Bond, even?
It's going to take a second or third viewing for me to decide whether it's a fitting curtain call.
I will say this, if they make more after this one, they'll be the Broccoli equivalent of the Star Wars prequels IMO.

TamH70

MIA
No Time To Die.

Well, a series that spans 60 years finally finishes. Definitely the end of an era or three, especially as the films spanned the changing times and attitudes of the UK.
Lots and lots of references to previous Bonds, it was at times spot the quote/visual Easter egg. Definitely a film that will have media and social studies types using as a zeitgeist touchstone. (There were always topical digs throughout all of the 25 films - - and are we counting David Niven's?)
From the very opening scene to the last, it's a different Bond (and Bond movie) a more rounded Bond, even?
It's going to take a second or third viewing for me to decide whether it's a fitting curtain call.
I will say this, if they make more after this one, they'll be the Broccoli equivalent of the Star Wars prequels IMO.

Worse than that. They'll be the equivalent of the Disney-era Star Wars sequels. Films so uniformly bad that the prequels are now worth watching, according to a lot of reviewers who've built successful YouTube channels with videos explaining how bad they are. I haven't watched them, to be honest, as as I said on another thread, I don't watch duff telly or films unless it's for a bet.

Worse than that. They'll be the equivalent of the Disney-era Star Wars sequels. Films so uniformly bad that the prequels are now worth watching, according to a lot of reviewers who've built successful YouTube channels with videos explaining how bad they are. I haven't watched them, to be honest, as as I said on another thread, I don't watch duff telly or films unless it's for a bet.

No Time To Die is worth seeing if only for a very different side to James Bond not seen since Lazenby's single outing.

TamH70

MIA
No Time To Die is worth seeing if only for a very different side to James Bond not seen since Lazenby's single outing.

Mibbies aye, mibbies naw. I do not like Daniel Craig as Bond. Never have. Never will. I watched Skyfall and that was it for me.

A Bond film should never, ever, in any location in this space quadrant have me cheering on the villain.

TamH70

MIA
Oh I don't know, the pair of assassins in Diamonds Are Forever were great.

Yeah. They did have a young TamH70's trouser region go all funny. That is, of course, if you were talking about Bambi and Thumper, not Wynn and Kint.

arfah

ADC
No Time To Die.

“JAMES BOND WILL RETURN”

Prequel trilogy to be announced?…

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mibbies aye, mibbies naw. I do not like Daniel Craig as Bond. Never have. Never will. I watched Skyfall and that was it for me.

A Bond film should never, ever, in any location in this space quadrant have me cheering on the villain.
I like DC as Bond as he has returned the menace to the character, moving away from the comedian that Roger Moore started, while at the same time retaining the sardonic quip at the appropriate moment.

Latest Threads