What film have you just watched?

TamH70

MIA
The Accountant again (Netflix, one day before my account expires and, in a cowardly move, resubscribe with a different name, but a Ghanaian one this time. You have to be black, or lesbian, or changing sex. It's the Law).

Excellent, quality film.

A great film that finally manages to capitalise on Ben Affleck's superb range of acting skills.

TamH70

MIA
To be shown on TalkingPictures TV today at 1.40 pm an official WW2 Army Training Film ... " The New Lot " ... this is the production on which a much longer commercial version " The Way Ahead " is based ... several actors appear in both versions ... is it just me but did John Laurie ever look young ?

Incidentally the full version of " The New Lot " is available on YouTube

To be shown on TalkingPictures TV today at 1.40 pm an official WW2 Army Training Film ... " The New Lot " ... this is the production on which a much longer commercial version " The Way Ahead " is based ... several actors appear in both versions ... is it just me but did John Laurie ever look young ?

Thanks for the heads up, that was a great little film, you can see why they made a longer version of it.

Who knew Peter Ustinov could look so young?

Thanks for the heads up, that was a great little film, you can see why they made a longer version of it.

Who knew Peter Ustinov could look so young?

I noticed by chance today that Carole Reed directed both versions and went on to direct ....

the excellent 1945 MOI Film " The True Glory " ... Linky ...

and a very successful subsequent career including " The Third Man " and many others

My poor late Uncle Frank, a down to earth Rutlander, as honest as the day is long would have regarded that as pinching them even if they were off a Jap!
That has really made me think. Your uncle sounds a good sort. In my home county of Bedfordshire, there were a fair number of former POWs from the Far East. I worked with one. He hated the Japs from the bottom of his heart, and died before he should have done, almost certainly as a result of the treatment he received in Changi.
Would he have taken the Jap's boots?
Without having the opportunity to ask him, I can't say.
But I think yes.

That has really made me think. Your uncle sounds a good sort. In my home county of Bedfordshire, there were a fair number of former POWs from the Far East. I worked with one. He hated the Japs from the bottom of his heart, and died before he should have done, almost certainly as a result of the treatment he received in Changi.
Would he have taken the Jap's boots?
Without having the opportunity to ask him, I can't say.
But I think yes.

Neighbour across the road, back when I was married (#2) RN, Jap PW, bagged somewhere around HK. Sometimes woken up by his screams in the wee hours from across the road. His wife had a separate bedroom. He had nothing to do with the neighbours but he would pass the time of day with me as he knew I was an ex-squaddie and would never ask what was it like. Poor s0d. Long gone now, hope he found his peace.

Its not just you.

The Suicide Squad.

Very enjoyable and shows how badly conceived the first film was.
Lots of moments that had me laughing, all the characters were likeable and they didn't woke it up either.

Even Idris Elba shines in it, and Margot Robbie is sublime as Harley Quinn. A much more toned down performance.

The one downside is the antagonist is Peter Capaldi and at times it felt like an episode of Doctor Who. The "creature" looked very Whoish as well. That may have been on purpose or just a coincidence.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'The Virginian' The Virginian (Video 2014) - IMDb

A new version of the old story. I don't normally like re-makes, they tend to make dross films, but this is good. It sticks fairly well to the story, the lead is someone I've never seen before, and he is a big old unit! The only face I recognised was Ron Perlman, but don't let that distract you. Doesn't play as a 'woke' film, but rather more as a good western. But then, I'm a huge fan of westerns.

Kirkz

LE
The Gemini Man on 'flix with Will Smith.

It was alright and passed a couple of hours.
Watched that last Saturday and concur.
Not great but not awful either.
3 kickings out of 5.

The Suicide Squad.

Very enjoyable and shows how badly conceived the first film was.
Lots of moments that had me laughing, all the characters were likeable and they didn't woke it up either.

Even Idris Elba shines in it, and Margot Robbie is sublime as Harley Quinn. A much more toned down performance.

The one downside is the antagonist is Peter Capaldi and at times it felt like an episode of Doctor Who. The "creature" looked very Whoish as well. That may have been on purpose or just a coincidence.

Starro predates Dr.Who