What film have you just watched?

Slime

LE
Ah, but I did qualify my remarks by referencing the age, which was a period that included many truly awful films. Anyway, to be honest, I only watched as far as the first pub scene. But I promise, in order to discipline myself, watch the rest.

For the horror comedy genre, check out the 1963 Hammer film: The old dark house, or the Frankie Howerd film: The house in Nightmare Park :)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
For the horror comedy genre, check out the 1963 Hammer film: The old dark house, or the Frankie Howerd film: The house in Nightmare Park :)
Yep, got that saved. Surprising cast too, with Ray Milland. I have 'Twins of Evil' lined up to watch tonight. Can't seem to find 'The Vampire Lovers' though.

TamH70

MIA
Yep, got that saved. Surprising cast too, with Ray Milland. I have 'Twins of Evil' lined up to watch tonight. Can't seem to find 'The Vampire Lovers' though.

If you've got no moral objection to watching a film on YouTube when both the Amazon Prime and Google Play video shops can't be arsed to put the film up for viewing, I could slide a link your way, old bean?

Slime

LE

Link.

There are only 46 or 47 possible plots in fiction supposedly. Look up Vladimir Propp, IIRC. Not sure if it fully applies to English stories as his thesis is based on Russian fairy tales.
Kurt Vonnegut, too, though he said 6
Edit to add the types, link seems to be knackered
  • Rags to Riches (rise)
  • Riches to Rags (fall)
  • Man in a Hole (fall then rise)
  • Icarus (rise then fall)
  • Cinderella (rise then fall then rise)
  • Oedipus (fall then rise then fall)

Ray Milland alias Reginald Truscott Jones ex Household Cavalryman between the wars.

Every day is a learning day ... I mainly associate him with one film ... " Dial M For Murder " .

Slime

LE
Just watched the 1950 Hammer film: The man in black.

A fairly decent death/murder mystery film, featuring Sid James playing two different roles.

The Accountant again (Netflix, one day before my account expires and, in a cowardly move, resubscribe with a different name, but a Ghanaian one this time. You have to be black, or lesbian, or changing sex. It's the Law).

Excellent, quality film.

Just watched Empire of the Sun again. Probably my favourite film of the eighties. My favourite part is the iconic scene with Jim and the Kamikaze pilots. The shots in the beginning in Shanghai were superb. Shot on location. The first American film company to film their since the forties. Some of the Chinese extras were old enough to remember the Japanese occupation. PLA soldiers as extras playing Japanese soldiers.

Last edited:
The Accountant again (Netflix, one day before my account expires and, in a cowardly move, resubscribe with a different name, but a Ghanaian one this time. You have to be black, or lesbian, or changing sex. It's the Law).

Excellent, quality film.

I’ve watched The Accountant a few times and enjoyed each viewing. I did wonder though, if I took a canvas out to the backyard and splattered paint on it in a haphazard fashion, would it be worth several million dollars?

The uncensored trailer for The King's Man. Hitting cinemas December. Again, looks, ..... 'interesting'...

TamH70

MIA

The uncensored trailer for The King's Man. Hitting cinemas December. Again, looks, ..... 'interesting'...

The one set to Ozzy belting out the strains of "War Pigs" was "essence" as they say.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you've got no moral objection to watching a film on YouTube when both the Amazon Prime and Google Play video shops can't be arsed to put the film up for viewing, I could slide a link your way, old bean?
Thank you, sir. I would be most obliged.

Slime

LE