What film have you just watched?

TamH70

MIA
I get what you're saying.

If the Black Block had resisted arrest and woken up handcuffed to a hospital bed, or even not woken up, I'd have said that they got their just deserts.

Paramilitary police going apeshit on silly students and naïve do-gooders. On a bad day, that proposition has it's attractions too...

Civilised head on: Not unless society is on the verge of outright collapse. The police exist to uphold the law, not to break it. Next year, it could be you and yours getting truncheoned into a coma.

Serious head on - if the grown-up members of whatever protest group l was stupid enough to hang out with at a demo or sit-in had decided to bugger off before the Eyetie or Polis Scoatlan riot mob rocked up, and l didn't follow them, whatever happened when they did come steaming in would be on me.

But there are vanishingly few things I would be ever seeing the need to go on demonstrations against, so the likelihood of me having a trachea/truncheon interface because of police reaction or over-reaction at a riot or demonstration is pretty small.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
th

Wonderful title, and - for it's age - a funny film. Stellar selection of comedy favourites, including Barry Cryer.

First time I saw this was in AKC Hohne in '60's. despite corny title, thought it was great so watched again this afternoon still good, said to be Kirk Douglas favourite role..

DITA

MIA
Recently got my geek on and started playing any and all Lego games that I can/want to, both on my sons Nintendo Switch and his X-Box. He sat and watched me playing Pirates of the Caribbean and told me that he'd like to watch the films (he's 8 ).

So I've re-watched 1 to 4 (finishing 4 last night with him) and I have to say I'm still impressed with the whole franchise. Story lines are a bit hard for a 8 year old to follow, so I have lots of pausing and explaining to do, which actually has helped me understand whats going on too!

And its good to spend time with the boy too, which is good. I'm not sure how he's going to react to Salazar in the last film. Should be good enough to scare him to sleep though!

Last edited:
I'm fifty-one and I want to see that film more than I can think of any film since Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Deadpool 1. I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out as I'm not paying for Disney Plus, and I'm not going anywhere near a big confined space with crowds in it that isn't a supermarket this calendar year. To me, it looks like a more kid-friendly version of the other great film about video games that's not about any particular video game, Tom Cruise's magnum opus, "Edge of Tomorrow".
It does borrow a lot from several films:
Truman Show, Edge of Tomorrow, Groundhog Day & the more recent Ready Player One.

I agree with the other comments about it being something that the younger generation will think is "Awesome" but to me looks like another semi-competent CGI infused take on aspects of modern life. . . . for an ,<20.

To be fair I much preferred it to RP1, which I disliked intensely. The actual real world in that film was more interesting than the cyberworld that they inhabited to escape.

HM Prisons have education, including degrees, available to inmates. iirc Myra Hindley gained a Masters or two during her incarceration.
And they say education is never wasted.

I'm guessing it helped her pass the time away I suppose.

Went with the Mrs to watch Free Guy last night, Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool without the costume (as he does in every film but hey, it's made him a lot of money) in a modern teen film comprised of several 90's movie plots mashed together and a metric sh*tload of CGI. Eminently missable and left me feeling that people 20 years younger than me are from an entirely different species. What's strange is that I work with a lot of people 20 years younger than me and relate very well, so something is awry. But hey ho, if you want to switch your brain off and watch 21st century Truman giving the finger to The Man then give it a go - but not at cinema prices.
I was watching a bunch of clips of the 80's entertainment films, music, pop culture, etc... again recently and as you'd expect the John Hughes films are heavily referenced but also things like 'Footloose' & 'The Karate Kid'.

Great films, relatable characters, going through all the normal issues, that educated and informed and made you feel a bit less lonely - all with superb soundtracks.

What do this lot have by comparison?

I'm not a sentimental guy, but that vid makes me so happy that I had my teens then and a bit sad for those trying to work out what's going on now.

Last night I watched the latest offering from Clint Eastwood who directed and starred in the film,Cry Macho. Unfortunately it wasn't my kind of film. The plot evolves around an old man who was a former rodeo star (Eastwood) who is pressurized by his former boss and one time friend into going to Mexico to bring back his old Boss's son.

The plot I thought was weak though Eastwood played his part of a confused and frightened old man very well it was just too far fetched even for entertainment purposes.

Slime

LE
th

Wonderful title, and - for it's age - a funny film. Stellar selection of comedy favourites, including Barry Cryer.

I enjoy horror comedies so gave this film a go last night.

For me it was the best free cure for insomnia I’ve seen in ages.
The plot was rubbish, the effects were rubbish and so was the acting.

For me, this wasn’t that far off the level of ‘The boys in blue’ starring Cannon and Ball.

For me, this wasn’t that far off the level of ‘The boys in blue’ starring Cannon and Ball.
Steady. Worse than The Boys In Blue, that's quite a claim.

FHA

LE
Barbie and Kendra Storm Area 51. WTAF...???

WTF indeed. Might give that a miss….

I’ve been away from the thread for about a year.
I come back and NSP is still falling on the sword, watching shoite so we don’t have to.
Thank you for your (continued) service.

Slime

LE

DITA

MIA
It does borrow a lot from several films:
Truman Show, Edge of Tomorrow, Groundhog Day & the more recent Ready Player One.

I agree with the other comments about it being something that the younger generation will think is "Awesome" but to me looks like another semi-competent CGI infused take on aspects of modern life. . . . for an ,<20.

To be fair I much preferred it to RP1, which I disliked intensely. The actual real world in that film was more interesting than the cyberworld that they inhabited to escape.

Granted I've not yet seen Free Guy, but I enjoyed RP1 quite a lot.

Not being big into gaming (less the Lego games which are about the level of my ability), I thought the Cyberworld references to films/games I played and enjoyed in my younger days were spot on! I thought the balance between real world and the cyber was spot on, but then Ive also not yet read the book (downloaded to read once Ive finished the Jack Reacher I've been putting off finishing for months). I'm clearly going to have to go back and re-watch it now... which I can only thank you for! :)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
First time I saw this was in AKC Hohne in '60's. despite corny title, thought it was great so watched again this afternoon still good, said to be Kirk Douglas favourite role..

Ah, but I did qualify my remarks by referencing the age, which was a period that included many truly awful films. Anyway, to be honest, I only watched as far as the first pub scene. But I promise, in order to discipline myself, watch the rest.

(downloaded to read once Ive finished the Jack Reacher I've been putting off finishing for months).

Jack Reacher books are written by an algorithm.
If you have read one you have read them all

DITA

MIA
Jack Reacher books are written by an algorithm.
If you have read one you have read them all

Which is why its taken me so long to build up to finishing it. I need to finish it before I start another, but I cant bring myself to do it.