What film have you just watched?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Went with the Mrs to watch Free Guy last night, Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool without the costume (as he does in every film but hey, it's made him a lot of money) in a modern teen film comprised of several 90's movie plots mashed together and a metric sh*tload of CGI. Eminently missable and left me feeling that people 20 years younger than me are from an entirely different species. What's strange is that I work with a lot of people 20 years younger than me and relate very well, so something is awry. But hey ho, if you want to switch your brain off and watch 21st century Truman giving the finger to The Man then give it a go - but not at cinema prices.

tgo

LE
Kate. Bit of runny-jumpy-punchy-kicky-shooty action. Otherwise meh. Mary Elizabeth Winstead has "matured" since her Die Hard appearance in 2007, leading Ewen McGregor astray and into the divorce courts in 2017 (fourteen year age difference, one child). Woody Harrelson obviously fancied buying his mum a swimming pool for her garden. Can't think why else he'd have got involved with this tosh.
I like the Woody, when he played an ex contender in the Hunger Games, it took me a while to figure out who it was, virtually unrecognisable.

I just watchecd Zone 414

An android /human thing, gawd it was awful, even Guy Pierce looks like a husk of himself and he's younger than me.

1 out of 5 Androids for me.

Re: Emanuelle. My brother hosted that there Sylvia Kristel at his hotel on Mahe, Seychelles, when she appeared in Goodbye Emmanuelle (1977). She stiffed him on the hotel bill, and a longish legal case ensued. Her leaving letter to him was full of erotic fantasy, which she thought would appease his commercial desires; it didn't. Got away with it though, the bag.
If it's any consolation, she kicked the bucket as a fat old bag. Too many cigarettes...

1632045372705.png

TamH70

MIA
I’m obliged.

I did find out that the film is available on Amazon Prime Movies, for cheap. But only in America. And if you buy it you need an American email address and a credit or debit card with a valid American postal address too. Bit of a shame as the film is available to buy for less than four quid.

TamH70

MIA
Went with the Mrs to watch Free Guy last night, Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool without the costume (as he does in every film but hey, it's made him a lot of money) in a modern teen film comprised of several 90's movie plots mashed together and a metric sh*tload of CGI. Eminently missable and left me feeling that people 20 years younger than me are from an entirely different species. What's strange is that I work with a lot of people 20 years younger than me and relate very well, so something is awry. But hey ho, if you want to switch your brain off and watch 21st century Truman giving the finger to The Man then give it a go - but not at cinema prices.

I'm fifty-one and I want to see that film more than I can think of any film since Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Deadpool 1. I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out as I'm not paying for Disney Plus, and I'm not going anywhere near a big confined space with crowds in it that isn't a supermarket this calendar year. To me, it looks like a more kid-friendly version of the other great film about video games that's not about any particular video game, Tom Cruise's magnum opus, "Edge of Tomorrow".

Vodafone were doing free movies via Chilli so being the typical tight fisted Jocks that Mrs G_J & I am are we ripped the arse out of the codes and grabbed a few.

Most decent effort was Nobody , it's pretty much The Equaliser (Dennis Washington effort) though it doesn't take itself seriously.

Man Michael Ironside has gotten old (whereas Christopher Lloyd has looked old for decades) ...

Whining Civvy

War Hero
I'm fifty-one and I want to see that film more than I can think of any film since Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Deadpool 1. I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out as I'm not paying for Disney Plus, and I'm not going anywhere near a big confined space with crowds in it that isn't a supermarket this calendar year. To me, it looks like a more kid-friendly version of the other great film about video games that's not about any particular video game, Tom Cruise's magnum opus, "Edge of Tomorrow".
Mmm, you might want to keep your expectations firmly under control with this one, I'm 45 and felt my age watching it. It's aimed squarely at the woke generation and although it IS enjoyable it's all very teen. It's Lego Movie meets Truman Show meets, oh I dunno, if you're a film fan you'll see dozens of them in there, and not a single second of it even vaguely original. Like I said, switch your brain off and watch it. Aimed strictly at teen/early 20's pop culture geeks. You have to wonder how many times and in how many movies Ryan Reynolds can reprise Deadpool and get away with it.

{edit} It's worth noting that although I liked Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy I do find the whole superhero genre infantile horsesh*t so you can factor my review accordingly. You might love Free Guy.

Kirkz

LE
Vodafone were doing free movies via Chilli so being the typical tight fisted Jocks that Mrs G_J & I am are we ripped the arse out of the codes and grabbed a few.

Most decent effort was Nobody , it's pretty much The Equaliser (Dennis Washington effort) though it doesn't take itself seriously.

Man Michael Ironside has gotten old (whereas Christopher Lloyd has looked old for decades) ...
Who is Dennis Washington?
Edit - An American Industrialist it seems.
Dennis Washington - Wikipedia

Toilet. An Indian movie, part romantic comedy, part government information film, it's based on a true story of one couple's battles against religion/ tradition/ culture/ burocracy to have toilets built rather than have people ( particularly women) having to use the great outdoors.

Toilet. An Indian movie, part romantic comedy, part government information film, it's based on a true story of one couple's battles against religion/ tradition/ culture/ burocracy to have toilets built rather than have people ( particularly women) having to use the great outdoors.
Earth approves of this post.

Not being broadcast on Netflix until 15th October. From what I can make of the trailer though, weaponry looks fairly accurate, as do the uniforms. I know the battle took place, but I suspect that the story is a fiction interwoven into the actual historic event.

Looks promising at least...

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund of 2001, created by Congress, distributed $7 billion to survivors and victims' families. There have been 2,983 families of those who died and received an average of just over $2 million tax-free per claim, according to Kenneth Feinberg, former pro bono administrator of the fund.

From ABC News
Ja, but the figures I quoted were from the original formula quoted in the movie, before Michael Keaton got an attack of conscience.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
At the end, before the credits roll, there's captions explaining the outcome and where the principal characters went next. Feinberg was appointed Special Master to determine payouts in several other significant state-compensated events including Deepwater Horizon, Sandy Hook and several other high-profile school shootings.
Yeah, I saw that. It appears that he got a taste for that line of work but I kinda wish that he didn't have to do it.

Not being broadcast on Netflix until 15th October. From what I can make of the trailer though, weaponry looks fairly accurate, as do the uniforms. I know the battle took place, but I suspect that the story is a fiction interwoven into the actual historic event.

Looks promising at least...
I'm in NL, so don't need subtitles. Comparing it to Dunkirk sounds like faint praise indeed. However, it seems to be expected to be 21st century woke people playing at script-writing and dressing-up. Hopefully it'll be brilliant, but don't be surprised if not.

Latest Threads