What film have you just watched?

The Fifth Element last night and...Michael Collins tonight.

Neither as dire as any evening tv programmes.

Cockneys v Zombies.

Absolute bollocks but very funny bollocks in places.
If Guy Ritchie did a zombie film, it wouldn't be this one though it is very much in his mould.
Never going to win any awards but it goes well with a curry and some beers.

Edit spelling.

Last edited:
I watched “If….” again last last night, for only the second time, the first being about forty years ago. A great film.

I remembered your post when I saw that the film " If " is on Great Movies Classic tonight at 9.00 pm .

I too have not seen it for years ... well that is my viewing sorted out .

Last night I watched ... again ... again ... one of my favourite films ... " The Third Man " .

I also watched a DVD about the making of the film . It included Trevor Howard's , or as he preferred to be recognised as in the Hotel Bar after a day's filming Major Calloway , coffee without biscuits meeting with Major General Galloway GOC British Forces Austria .

Howard really was a Star Walt

ETA Start time corrected .

Last edited:

syrup

LE
I remembered your post when I saw that the film " If " is on Great Movies Classic tonight at 8.00 pm .

I too have not seen it for years ... well that is my viewing sorted out .

Last night I watched ... again ... again ... one of my favourite films ... " The Third Man " .

I also watched a DVD about the making of the film . It included Trevor Howard's , or as he preferred to be recognised as in the Hotel Bar after a day's filming Major Calloway , coffee without biscuits meeting with Major General Galloway GOC British Forces Austria .

Howard really was a Star Walt

Howard was up in court after the war for claiming he had an M.C.
He had told a journalist he earned it while serving in the Airborne Forces
He was visited by the RMP who warned him that it was against the Army act to claim he had a medal he didn't have.

He was reportedly put in front of a judge who warned him any more claims as such he would be fined heavily and look at Jail time

The Judge was reportedly Captain The Hon. Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu, CBE, QC, DL, RNR the British Intelligence officer who planted a dead body on Sicily on Operation Mincemeat

Howard claimed it was his mother who put the stories about although in subsequent interviews he claimed to have fought in Norway and almost drowned off Sicily during the invasion.

In 1967 he told a reporter that he demanded a transfer to the Airborne forces as he was bored.

He was commissioned into the South Staff's in 1940 and demobbed in 1943 after a nervous breakdown
Even then he tried to claim he had been in the Royal Signals.

He was visited by the RMP who warned him that it was against the Army act to claim he had a medal he didn't have.

He was reportedly put in front of a judge who warned him any more claims as such he would be fined heavily and look at Jail time

The Judge was reportedly Captain The Hon. Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu, CBE, QC, DL, RNR the British Intelligence officer who planted a dead body on Sicily on Operation Mincemeat

Howard claimed it was his mother who put the stories about although in subsequent interviews he claimed to have fought in Norway and almost drowned off Sicily during the invasion.

In 1967 he told a reporter that he demanded a transfer to the Airborne forces as he was bored.

He was commissioned into the South Staff's in 1940 and demobbed in 1943 after a nervous breakdown
My bold: he must have been traumatised!!

Howard was up in court after the war for claiming he had an M.C...

The Judge was reportedly Captain The Hon. Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu, CBE, QC, DL, RNR the British Intelligence officer who planted a dead body on Sicily on Operation Mincemeat ...

I knew most of that however not my Bold which if correct is interesting .

The watchable film " The Man Who Never Was " is based upon Operation Mincemeat and appears now and again on Digital TV ... somewhere ... safe ... I have a copy of the book .

syrup

LE
I knew most of that however not my Bold which if correct is interesting .

The watchable film " The Man Who Never Was " is based upon Operation Mincemeat and appears now and again on Digital TV ... somewhere ... safe ... I have a copy of the book .

In the film Ewen Montagu plays the RAF officer when they are sat at the table planning Operation Mincemeat.

Ben Macintyre's book is a decent rad and he did a follow up programme in which he speaks to the pretend Girlfriend who was one of the girls who worked with Montagu.

Actually in the sea off Spain.

TamH70

MIA
My bold: he must have been traumatised!!

Yeah. On having had that sole capbadge for all of my greenskin career, paid and unpaid, it's not something I'd boast about if I hadn't served in Her Madge's only Royal Corps.

NSP

LE
The watchable film " The Man Who Never Was "
...is being watched by me at this very moment.

Edited to add: You're a British official, in Britain, introducing a British officer. It's fucking LEFtenant, dammit, not LOOtenant!!!!

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Actually in the sea off Spain.
Yep - Montague knew the Spanish authorities were riddled with sympathisers and would pass the briefcase on to the German embassy for copying before returning it to us, as neutral governments would, and that the Spanish unwittingly acting as a cut-out would lend further verisimilitude to the ruse.

He was also fairly sure that the Spanish authorities would not bother with anything more than a cursory examination by a local doctor, if at all, and there'd be less chance of suspicion over the cause of death or musing on the whereabouts of the apparent 'plane crash.

When the case came back he had it in the lab and the boffins determined that the sealed envelope with the letter to the big cheese had been not only opened and resealed but they were somehow able to determine that it had been copied, too. Result..

Last edited:
In the film Ewen Montagu plays the RAF officer when they are sat at the table planning Operation Mincemeat.

Ben Macintyre's book is a decent rad and he did a follow up programme in which he speaks to the pretend Girlfriend who was one of the girls who worked with Montagu.

.... indeed and I saw that seemingly well researched programme a couple of years ago ...

Thread drift for those who have not seen it ... certainly worth a watch ...

... back on thread

I watched the film" If " last night ... the second time in nearly forty years . I quickly realised that I had forgotten most of the plot except the ending and what an ending . I must watch again ... soon ... so much to take in ... still have not worked out why a mixture of colour then monochrome .
Lots of aspiring young actors who were to do well later in their careers but I was intrigued by Biles Junior whose face seemed vaguely familiar ... turned out to be Brian Pettifer who I had also seen in the TV Series " Get Some In " and " Rab C Nesbitt " .
An intriguing film ... certainly worth watching ... five out of six of the best .

Slime

LE
I just watched Tarzan of the apes.

The 1918 silent version. This was the first ever Tarzan film made.

The film is freely available on youtube. The film is very much of its time, and it’s probably better to have read the original Tarzan book to fill in the many gaps in the story in this film version, but bearing in mind the film is over a hundred years old it’s worth a watch if you gave some spare time :)

TamH70

MIA
Currently watching the 1975 blaxploitation film, "Mandingo", with a surprisingly cast James Mason, Ken Norton (former boxer) as the titular Mandingo slave, and a whole host of black females in either very little clothing or way too much of it. I'm not sure if one could call it a good film, I'm only watching it for the totty at the moment, as I'm familiar with the story what with spending too many of my early teen years reading the books by Lance Horner, Kyle Onstott et al, that the film franchise it's from is based on. Norton certainly has physical presence, what with him being a champion boxer and all, and has shown acting talent.

It's on Putlocker or you can get ripped off by either Google, Microsoft, Apple or Amazon and buy the film for a price that bought me a season of The Blacklist (containing twenty-odd episodes) a while back.

If pushed for a rating, two and a half savage beatings of slave black folks out of five.

Latest Threads