What film have you just watched?

Earlier today I watched: The boys in blue, a 1982 film starring Cannon and Ball.
Its a comedy film, but is easily one of the least funny films I’ve ever watched.
The plot is very loosely modelled on the 1939 Will Hay film: Ask a policeman. Whereas imho Ask a policeman still holds up as funny 70 years later, I struggle to see how The boys in blue was even funny at time of release.
Ah yes. A film I shall never forget. The last time I saw it, a few years back on a wet and miserable Saturday afternoon, half way through the film I experienced excruciating pain in the left side of my back. Long story short it turned out to be a kidney stone the size of Jupiter. Still more funny than the film though.

NSP

LE
Guns Akimbo. Harry Potter trolls the wrong online psycho and ends up with a couple of automatics with hi-cap mags bolted - literally - to his hands as he is forced to take part in a real-life, live-streamed deathmatch. Utterly violent and completely silly. Find it on Prime. Well worth it.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I actually quite liked Cannon and Ball as regular comics, but this film was just awful imho.

I also enjoyed Morecombe and Wise on the big screen, with That Riviera touch being my favourite.

Edit.
I agree about Bobby Ball being very good in Not going out, but my favourite cast member was Hannah Waddingham………..Can’t think why :)
I confess that I quite liked the Morecambe and Wise films too, although being a total devotee of theirs I suppose it was inevitable. I rather favoured 'The Intelligence Men', and to this day in our house, if someone is trying to hum a tune, it inevitably morphs into the melody from Swan Lake.
The Magnificent Two was a bit weak, but enjoyable and the one that was horribly slated 'Night Train To Murder' I still watch. Then again, I often watch 'The Ghost Train' too.

Ah yes. A film I shall never forget. The last time I saw it, a few years back on a wet and miserable Saturday afternoon, half way through the film I experienced excruciating pain in the left side of my back. Long story short it turned out to be a kidney stone the size of Jupiter. Still more funny than the film though.
Good job you didn't catch the 'On the Buses' film then.

TamH70

MIA

Slime

LE
I confess that I quite liked the Morecambe and Wise films too, although being a total devotee of theirs I suppose it was inevitable. I rather favoured 'The Intelligence Men', and to this day in our house, if someone is trying to hum a tune, it inevitably morphs into the melody from Swan Lake.
The Magnificent Two was a bit weak, but enjoyable and the one that was horribly slated 'Night Train To Murder' I still watch. Then again, I often watch 'The Ghost Train' too.

I like the Ghost train, but then like Arnold Ridley, and the added fact he came up with plot in a station I often cycle through* is just added value :)

*He came up with idea while waiting at Mangotsfield station. now part of the Bristol to Bath cycle track.

Similar films that are worth a watch are.
The house in nightmare park,
and,
The runaway bus.
Both starring Frankie Howerd.

Slime

LE
Good job you didn't catch the 'On the Buses' film then.

That’s on my ‘to watch’ list.
I’m no fan at all of On the buses, but it’s a Hammer film, so I’ll end up watching it as part of seeing all Hammer films.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I like the Ghost train, but then like Arnold Ridley, and the added fact he came up with plot in a station I often cycle through* is just added value :)

*He came up with idea while waiting at Mangotsfield station. now part of the Bristol to Bath cycle track.

Similar films that are worth a watch are.
The house in nightmare park,
and,
The runaway bus.
Both starring Frankie Howerd.
Ah yes, St Frankie. 'The House in Nightmare Park' is a classic, with Ray Milland too, no less. And te Runaway bus, what fine casting there too, the cream of British cinema, - well, the 'B' movie cream for some.

I forgot The Yellow Balloon was on today. Good effort all round and once again lovely photography of old London town, when five cars on a street was a traffic jam.

My Netflix account was playing up last night, interrupting the series I am watching. So I turned to Stan and re-watched The Castle. This is a gentle Australian comedy produced by the Working Dog team (The Dish, The Hollow Men, Utopia).

I do like a film that can do its thing in 1hr 25mins with no CGI, special effects etc.

Definitely worth nine mullets out of ten.

Peter Sellers in Wrong arm of the Law and in Two Way Stretch are in my opinion Peter Sellers at his best

On the subject of Private's Progress one of my favourite scenes from that excellent film .... " Reporting Sick " ... when in fact you had to be fit to report sick ... but you could wake up feeling a little fragile and ...

... I have posted this before but so what .

On the subject of Private's Progress one of my favourite scenes from that excellent film .... " Reporting Sick " ... when in fact you had to be fit to report sick ... but you could wake up feeling a little fragile and ...

... I have posted this before but so what .
Carry on Sergeant was always close as well, mainly I think it was because nearly all those that appeared had served in WW2

Latest Threads