What film have you just watched?

One thing I noticed was the respirator cases worn or not during the battles
Order scene was spot on for QBO with home guard included, watch out for the rotund tommy being dropped

Aphra

Old-Salt
A stand out scene (without plot spoilers, hopefully) was the lady looking after the kids from the village.
Her part was understated and without any need to try to add effects.

A modern final scene would have been entirely different, and would have required ‘a sad back story’ a slow motion scene and lots of special effects.
I watched it, had to really as I'd given the heads up. I, too was struck by how the women were portrayed, but mainly because, in my childhood and adolescence, most women were like those in the film. Most had lived through two world wars and a devastating global depression, as well as pandemics that make the current situation look tame. They would have laughed to be called 'strong, independent' women and probably given you a thick ear for being cheeky.

I liked the scene of the German CO conferring with the Fifth Columnist outside the church, standing under the memorial plaque to the dead of the Great War. Volumes spoken without words. And how many different accents were heard, all enunciated so clearly I didn't need to turn the sound up to ear shattering to hear anything.

It was the quiet heroism that stood out, from the old chaps offering to take the place of the children, to the lady of the manor who at first seemed a bit of an airhead yet was a hero when it counted, to the simple (in every sense) shop girl who played her part when called upon. Very uplifting.

Glad others enjoyed it too.

Have you seen her in:
Waiting for the telegram?

Thanks for this had not seen it, just found it this afternoon and it was a hugely powerful experince

Watched for the first time, good to see Thora Hird didn't need her stairlift. And a bit of summary justice for the traitor.
Agree also about The Way Ahead, very underrated. The bloke who speaks French and German was Mr. Partridge, the kid hating Punch and Judy man in Hi De Hi.

Slime

LE
I watched it, had to really as I'd given the heads up. I, too was struck by how the women were portrayed, but mainly because, in my childhood and adolescence, most women were like those in the film. Most had lived through two world wars and a devastating global depression, as well as pandemics that make the current situation look tame. They would have laughed to be called 'strong, independent' women and probably given you a thick ear for being cheeky.

I liked the scene of the German CO conferring with the Fifth Columnist outside the church, standing under the memorial plaque to the dead of the Great War. Volumes spoken without words. And how many different accents were heard, all enunciated so clearly I didn't need to turn the sound up to ear shattering to hear anything.

It was the quiet heroism that stood out, from the old chaps offering to take the place of the children, to the lady of the manor who at first seemed a bit of an airhead yet was a hero when it counted, to the simple (in every sense) shop girl who played her part when called upon. Very uplifting.

Glad others enjoyed it too.

I completely agree with your comment about the women in film, but I listen to an awful lot of woke opinions, many from people who think equality (or just how life really is) only started a few years ago.

Recently I watched the Hammer film: song of freedom. I mentioned it in this thread. Yet another perfect example of how were portrayed differently to how wokesters imagine it was. :)

Aphra

Old-Salt
I completely agree with your comment about the women in film, but I listen to an awful lot of woke opinions, many from people who think equality (or just how life really is) only started a few years ago.

Recently I watched the Hammer film: song of freedom. I mentioned it in this thread. Yet another perfect example of how were portrayed differently to how wokesters imagine it was. :)
And I agree with your take on woke opinions. In my last job I had the misfortune to have to mentor and manage new, mainly young, female employees. It's depressing to learn that all you've experienced and genuinely fought to change and in some cases, the equality battles you've genuinely won are meaningless because you're over 30.

I can only hope I wasn't as bad at their age but given the points in my previous paragraph I suspect I probably was... My grandmother was an actual Suffragette and I vividly remember being stunned when watching 'Shoulder to Shoulder' the 70's TV series about the Pankhursts, that my grandma knew the words to the theme song. Even more so when she showed me her WSPU membership cards and badges and letters from Annie Kenney. And I thought women's lib was new...

And a signed photo of Paul Robeson graced her living room wall. She admired and respected him enormously.

And a signed photo of Paul Robeson graced her living room wall. She admired and respected him enormously.

Watch his film 'The Proud Valley' 1940's filmed in the South Wales coal fields, my Grandfather had the privilege of meeting him and respected him enormously, like your Grandmother, as did virtually all Welsh miners.

A genuine colossus

Aphra

Old-Salt
Watch his film 'The Proud Valley' 1940's filmed in the South Wales coal fields, my Grandfather had the privilege of meeting him and respected him enormously, like your Grandmother, as did virtually all Welsh miners.

A genuine colossus
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look for that, cheers.

Slime

LE
I’ll add’ The goose steps out.
This is another very under related British propaganda film, and even though I’m a Will Hay fan I still think it’s worth a watch for non Will Hay fans.

The mockery of Germans, Nazis and Hilter must have been hilarious at the time of the films release.

Slime

LE
I’m going to also mention: The great dictator starring Charlie Chaplin.

This has to be one of the greatest WW2 propaganda films of all time, and Chaplin‘s final speech is legendary.

I’ll add’ The goose steps out.
This is another very under related British propaganda film, and even though I’m a Will Hay fan I still think it’s worth a watch for non Will Hay fans.

The mockery of Germans, Nazis and Hilter must have been hilarious at the time of the films release.
Will Hay was a funny guy.

Slime

LE
I need to get back into ploughing through the Hammer film collection, but based on the last page of film recommendations I would suggest that: It happened here would be an excellent film to watch for those who haven’t seen it, but like war/propaganda/Nazi films.

The film is about a Nazi style regime ruling the U.K. It was made on an absolutely tiny budget, and as a result the film has a rough kind of factual documentary style.

For me it’s as different to the average run of the mill war film is as ‘Eraserhead’ is to creepy/horror films.

If you haven’t seen Eraserhead it’s a VERY strange film, with very odd characters, made even more weird by clever use of awkward long silences :)

It happened here. Full movie.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I watched Blood Red Sky on Netflix earlier.

Hijackers get more than they bargained for, when one of the passengers is a vampire....

I wasn't expecting much from it at all, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Worth a watch.

tgo

LE
Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I watched Blood Red Sky on Netflix earlier.

Hijackers get more than they bargained for, when one of the passengers is a vampire....

I wasn't expecting much from it at all, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Worth a watch.

I'll second that, worth a look for sure, I liked it.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
1627917035658.png

Having been in isolation for 10 days, thanks to daughter and her husband cathing the plague, I've been watching a few films. I rather liked this one.

TamH70

MIA

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'd recommend Hugh Jackman in "Van Helsing" if you liked that one, but I'm not that cruel.
I quite liked that one, found it amusing. I've been searching for fairly risible films, and found quite a few,

Slime

LE
I quite liked that one, found it amusing. I've been searching for fairly risible films, and found quite a few,

Have you seen: Plan nine from outer space?

That is a true cult status film.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Have you seen: Plan nine from outer space?

That is a true cult status film.
Oh Lord, that is a beauty. I watched it many long years ago, around about the time that I watched 'Attack of The Killer Tomatoes'. Wonderful stuff.