What film have you just watched?

Aphra

Old-Salt
Not sure where to post this but just wanted to let anyone interested know that Went the Day Well? is on Talking Pictures TV at 1835 tomorrow, 31st July. I imagine many have seen it but for anyone who hasn't it's well worth a viewing.

Not sure where to post this but just wanted to let anyone interested know that Went the Day Well? is on Talking Pictures TV at 1835 tomorrow, 31st July. I imagine many have seen it but for anyone who hasn't it's well worth a viewing.
Never actually seen it, but Thora Hird wielding a Lee Enfield must be worth a look.

Slime

LE

An excellent heads up there.

Its a really good film imho.
The plot is a bit simplistic, but that’s the whole point of the message in the film.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Never actually seen it, but Thora Hird wielding a Lee Enfield must be worth a look.
I loved Thora. A Cream Cracker Under the Sofa should have won every award going. I was pleased that when they did the recent updated versions of some of the Talking Heads monologues, they left that one alone. Good as the updated versions were, that's the one that stuck in my mind from first seeing it.

Aphra

Old-Salt
An excellent heads up there.

Its a really good film imho.
The plot is a bit simplistic, but that’s the whole point of the message in the film.
Agreed, I've seen it a few times since I was younger and I find something different each time, maybe as my views changed as I got older. As a kid I didn't get the sly, insidious elements but I did get swept up in whether the good guys would win.

Edit: I never said I was the brightest bulb!

Slime

LE
I loved Thora. A Cream Cracker Under the Sofa should have won every award going. I was pleased that when they did the recent updated versions of some of the Talking Heads monologues, they left that one alone. Good as the updated versions were, that's the one that stuck in my mind from first seeing it.

Have you seen her in:
Waiting for the telegram?

The Talking Heads series was wonderful. It was A Lady of Letters that made me realise how superb an actress we have in Patricia Routledge.

Last edited:

Aphra

Old-Salt
The Talking Heads series was wonderful. It was A Lady of Letters that made me realise how superb an actress Patricia Routledge is.

Ah, yes, wasn't she marvellous? I loved her as Kitty, too. I think the common denominator for me with Alan Bennett's characters and Victoria Wood's is that I knew those women, was related to a lot of them!

Slime

LE
Yes. I find that one such a hard watch so I haven't watched it often. It made (makes) me weep for a generation. Astonishing performance by Miss Hird.

Edited for spoolung.

A performance so good imho that it’s exactly like watching it as if it were a true story with first hand memories from the person involved.

Just watched "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyed it for the humour and big names.
As you would expect from director Tarantino, some extreme violence and a bizarre twist to the Sharon Tate murders story at the end.

5/5 Dead hippies.

Slime

LE
I had recorded Went the day well after the recent heads up, but ended up watching it last night with my other half.

She asked what it was about and I said it was essentially a British WW2 based propaganda film, or ‘feel good’ about the British spirit film.

She agreed to watch with me, but said she would be playing games on her ipad while watching.
In the end she watched the entire film with looking at her ipad, and really enjoyed the female roles in the film :)

Without giving plot spoilers, this is yet another film from multiple decades ago that has female roles that are: strong, brave, intelligent and resourceful.
While this won’t be a surprise to the majority, it does fly in the face of sone WOKE types that think the idea of strong female roles was invented by them in the last few years.

I had recorded Went the day well after the recent heads up, but ended up watching it last night with my other half.

She asked what it was about and I said it was essentially a British WW2 based propaganda film, or ‘feel good’ about the British spirit film.

She agreed to watch with me, but said she would be playing games on her ipad while watching.
In the end she watched the entire film with looking at her ipad, and really enjoyed the female roles in the film :)

Without giving plot spoilers, this is yet another film from multiple decades ago that has female roles that are: strong, brave, intelligent and resourceful.
While this won’t be a surprise to the majority, it does fly in the face of sone WOKE types that think the idea of strong female roles was invented by them in the last few years.
I too watched it , again , and one of the scenes which really gets me is when the Postmistress is driven to desperation and commits an act which in her normal life would have been unthinkable .... the expression on her face afterwards really portrays her desperation .

I have posted this before but will do so again ... all the actors and associated staff who produced such films really did put their heads " above the parapet " ... if we had been invaded their names would have been " on the list " .

Issi

LE
She's from that school of self-righteous late 1980's actors who took luvvie-dom to a new level.

Kenneth Branagh & Jane Horrocks are another example

My favourite luvvy joke.

Kenneth and Emma are at home.

Emma “Ken, where are you?”

Kenneth “I’m in the kitchen darling”

Emma”Ooh!, can I be in it too?”

Slime

LE
I too watched it , again , and one of the scenes which really gets me is when the Postmistress is driven to desperation and commits an act which in her normal life would have been unthinkable .... the expression on her face afterwards really portrays her desperation .

I have posted this before but will do so again ... all the actors and associated staff who produced such films really did put their heads " above the parapet " ... if we had been invaded their names would have been " on the list " .

A stand out scene (without plot spoilers, hopefully) was the lady looking after the kids from the village.
Her part was understated and without any need to try to add effects.

A modern final scene would have been entirely different, and would have required ‘a sad back story’ a slow motion scene and lots of special effects.

syrup

LE

This film and The Way ahead are two of the underrated propaganda WW2 films.

Often overlooked by In Which We Serve but never less both great films which deserve more exposure and recognition.

Latest Threads