What film have you just watched?

ches

LE
Watched The Outpost on Prime last night. Been a few posters who have seen it & agree with the positive reviews. Pretty bloody good but by christ someone in the US mil hierarchy should have been strung up for the stupid decision to place an FOB in such ridiculous location. Totally overseen on all sides by high mountains with lower slopes right up to the wire. Delve into the realities & it was barking. Some outstanding heroism from some of the troops involved though inc 2 CMOH, one a PFC & the other a SSgt (role played very well by Mr Eastwoods son, Scott - who is the spit of his dad in speech & manner at the same age).

Last edited:

syrup

LE
You missed out this one (who had actual naval service in the second big show):-

5XVfGMII53UwNbxwEfsVpw9T6z7DuFq_ytdwIKw98F8uwXebojHAzSj4cfaIltxN4rmnNp7ocDTJ4ohpnZ7xEvVEzFJBNfIQlmu4D6D93t41hekspdlnZ3CoaW187_-d9Xwl11hDlBAxjDy7VYyR8DoSh9nGQQ

Battle of the River Plate

Was on last night on one of the Classic Movie channels

Two totally different film genres

They were not divided, classic if only film of the Welsh guards

Once upon a time in Hollywood, been meaning to watch it finally did.

philc

LE
Not watched but will be the first film I will see in the cinema once its out and we are allowed in.

NSP

LE
The Legend of Tarzan on t'Flix. Not bad little action movie - probably because it's got SLJ and Cristoph Waltz in it. Oh, and the tubby chap who played Beria in The Death of Stalin...

NSP

LE
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. Made more delicious by the headshed of Greece offing the headshed of the EU for imposing economic sanctions on his country and forcing them into bankruptcy. If only art were imitating life...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Magnificent 7 - 2016 version.

Not a bad movie and worth watching. Lots of bodies as per but the storyline more or less stays on the original story. 7 men rescuing a town that has been taken over by the villain who has a lot of men working for him who don't seem to mind being killed!

Not too hard to watch and passes a good couple of hours.

Not a bad movie and worth watching. Lots of bodies as per but the storyline more or less stays on the original story. 7 men rescuing a town that has been taken over by the villain who has a lot of men working for him who don't seem to mind being killed!

I'll pass.

I could watch the original time and again . . .

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'll pass.

I could watch the original time and again . . .
Try it, they make a good fist of the story and some good actors.

Last night I watched on TV the light comedy 1995 film “ Cold Comfort Farm “ … set in the 1930’s … really enjoyable . It featured many of the established and some up and coming actors of the time . A young girl brings happiness into a farm trapped in time and fear … you can almost smell the air when she first arrives but by her determination she turns life to the better for all .

Just a taster …” I saw something nasty in the woodshed “ … the clip also includes the farm “ Heathcliffe “ in full flow … overacting a tad …

ETA .... now found a trailer showing many of the key players in action ...

… and a happy ending … which is nice .

Last edited:

Issi

LE
I was only able to watch the last half of Dunkirk last night, and I thought it was pretty rubbish to tell the truth.

There was no sense of desperation or even much in the way of peril.

The flying scenes were incredibly mundane and just appeared to show 3 planes slowly flying along from left to right and then back again. maybe they didn't want to overstress the air frames or something.

The first half may have been spectacular (I wouldn't know), but in my opinion the second half was nothing but meh!

Last edited:
I was only to watch the last half of Dunkirk last night, and I thought it was pretty rubbish to tell the truth.

The flying scenes were incredibly mundane and just appeared to show 3 planes slowly flying along with left to right and then back again. maybe they didn't want to overstress the air frames or something.

The first half may have been spectacular, but in my opinion the second half was nothing but meh!
The flying scenes stretched credulity to the absolute limit!

I was only able to watch the last half of Dunkirk last night, and I thought it was pretty rubbish to tell the truth.

The flying scenes were incredibly mundane and just appeared to show 3 planes slowly flying along with left to right and then back again. maybe they didn't want to overstress the air frames or something.

The first half may have been spectacular (I wouldn't know), but in my opinion the second half was nothing but meh!
As I've said previously, massively overrated.

Tyk

LE

Agreed, decent cast, plenty of action and it tramples along nicely.
I really like the original and I reckon this one is a very fair re-use of the title.

Indeed total pump that film. The black and white job with John Mills is vastly superior.

I've just watched the Director's Cut of Das Boot. Actually watched it over two nights as it's 3hr 28min long.
I have it on DVD ... well that is tonight's viewing sorted out

ETA ... mine must be the cut down version .... a mere 3h 20mins

Den of Thieves. I looked back at some of the other reviews in the thread and comparisons with Heat loom large. To be fair, it would be difficult to make a modern heist movie based in LA that wouldn't echo Heat in some way but its like a grimy "reboot" sans Michael Manns concern for fashion and architecture and Neil and Vincents grudging mutual respect.

Latest Threads