What film have you just watched?

After being flogged on The Bounty

Having a very particular set of skills didn't seem to be much use keeping away old Beelzebub in the end.

Albert, R.N.

Literally amazed at how many times Anton Diffring can be the bad guy, and so many others I recognized

The Commandant from the Colditz story with John Mills
The RN captain who was in the Captive heart as a Sergeant
the chubby USN officer who was in the Red Beret, Reach for the sky and the sea shall not have them, Sink the Bismarck....

When Noel Coward was told the film was being made, and starring Michael Redgrave and Dirk Bogarde, He's alleged to have said..'I dont know why it wouldn't. Everyone else has'...
Mr Coward was conscripted into the artists rifles, however due to tubercular tendency was medically discharged without going to the front at all

Kirkz

LE
Mr Coward was conscripted into the artists rifles, however due to tubercular tendency was medically discharged without going to the front at all
Well by all accounts he prefered it from behind the lines.

Well by all accounts he prefered it from behind the lines.
Especially a robust advance from the rear areas
1626800860693.png

syrup

LE
Albert, R.N.

Literally amazed at how many times Anton Diffring can be the bad guy, and so many others I recognized

the chubby USN officer who was in the Red Beret, Reach for the sky and the sea shall not have them, Sink the Bismarck....

There were about 10 actors in all British war films in the 50's and 60's.
By law if you couldn't get Jack Hawkins or John Mills to star in it you had to include either one of these guys

English_actor_Harold_Goodwin.jpg

Victor_Maddern.jpg

NSP

LE
By law if you couldn't get Jack Hawkins or John Mills to star in it you had to include either one of these guys

English_actor_Harold_Goodwin.jpg

Victor_Maddern.jpg
You missed out this one (who had actual naval service in the second big show):-

5XVfGMII53UwNbxwEfsVpw9T6z7DuFq_ytdwIKw98F8uwXebojHAzSj4cfaIltxN4rmnNp7ocDTJ4ohpnZ7xEvVEzFJBNfIQlmu4D6D93t41hekspdlnZ3CoaW187_-d9Xwl11hDlBAxjDy7VYyR8DoSh9nGQQ

Albert, R.N.

The Captive Heart was based on the exploits of this man>

Never mind what he went through during the war what he went through afterwards courtesy of his own countrymen was just as bad if not worse.

ches

LE
I watched The Mauritanian on Prime & have to say its excellent & if even an ounce of what it alleges went on, the UK should steer clear of the US & any stupidity they decide to get involved with.
Its the 'true' story (quick google backs up pretty much all of the facts shown) of a young Mauritanian bloke who on a visit back home to his parents from Germany where he had lived for nearly a decade is taken by the authorities & handed over to the Yanks. He's then renditioned several times before ending up in Gitmo, all the while subjected to the torture that we are now well aware of. Some sort of confession is pulled out of him, as a financier & recruiter for AQ.
The film focuses on the US govt legal bod, Benny Cumberbatch ( i doubt a yank actor would have risked his career on such a role) who when shown the evidence his side has basically tells them to feck off & forget it cos they've broken every law & rule in the book relating to custody, interrogation & illegal imprisonment. It also focuses on the legal team who decided to represent the bloke in Gitmo on a pro-bono basis & tells how she (Jodie Foster) fought to gain access to the raw data relating to how they got the confession.
Its quite frankly fcuking disgraceful that an alleged leader of the free world got away with this shit esp when the collossal thundercnut who signed off on the use of enhance interrogation, Rumsfelt (the dumbest cnut in a nest of cnuts) hasn't faced any sort of justice.
Couple that with the fact then when the bloke won his case sueing the US govt the Obama admin appealed the ruling which resulted in the poor bloke spending another 7 years banged up. Never charged, never given any sort of basic rights.
Excellent film, reprehensible actions by a democracy.

Last edited:
I watched The Mauritanian on Prime & have to say its excellent & if even an ounce of what it alleges went on, the UK should steer clear of the US & any stupidity they decide to get involved with.
Its the 'true' story (quick google backs up pretty much all of the facts shown) of a young Mauritanian bloke who on a visit back home to his parents from Germany where he had lived for nearly a decade is taken by the authorities & handed over to the Yanks. He's then renditioned several times before ending up in Gitmo, all the while subjected to the torture that we are now well aware of. Some sort of confession is pulled out of him, as a financier & recruiter for AQ.
The film focuses on the US govt legal bod, Benny Cumberbatch ( i doubt a yank actor would have risked his career on such a role) who when shown the evidence his side has basically tells them to feck off & forget it cos they've broken every law & rule in the book relating to custody, interrogation & illegal imprisonment. It also focuses on the legal team who decided to represent the bloke in Gitmo on a pro-bono basis & tells how she (Jodie Foster) fought to gain access to the raw data relating to how they got the confession.
Its quite frankly fcuking disgraceful that an alleged leader of the free world got away with this shit esp when the collossal thundercnut who signed off on the use of enhance interrogation, Rumsfelt (the dumbest cnut in a nest of cnuts) hasn't faced any sort of justice.
Couple that with the fact then when the bloke won his case sueing the US govt the Obama admin appealed the ruling which resulted in the poor bloke spending another 7 years banged up. Never charged, never given any sort of basic rights.
You mean Barry O, Nobel Peace Prize winner, kept an innocent man banged up like his predecessor did? Shock.

I’ll also second, it’s a good film and that it’s very thought provoking.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
D'accord

'The Mauritanian' lead actor, Tahar Rahim in his youth also starred in a French gangster film 'A Prophet'. An outstandingly good film for the period. Again a lot of the earlier scenes occur in prison before his day release times sees him doing tasks for the Mafia.

@Stonker back in 2010 wasn't very complimentary about 'Desperado' (Netflix), probably because of Tarantino's poor showing in an acting role (he's quickly killed, though, which is a relief). It has something of the feel of a Tarantino move, mind; much unnecessary violence.
But I like it; very entertaining.

Victor_Maddern.jpg
Jeez you ain't kidding, this guy had all of 5 seconds on screen in "The Malta Story" and I saw him in a movie with Bennie Hill about a searchlight battery

@Stonker back in 2010 wasn't very complimentary about 'Desperado' (Netflix), probably because of Tarantino's poor showing in an acting role (he's quickly killed, though, which is a relief). It has something of the feel of a Tarantino move, mind; much unnecessary violence.
But I like it; very entertaining.
@Stonker in 2021 remains adamantly derisive of the vast majority of Tarantino's work.

It is unrelentingly unimaginative, derivative and lazy, IMHO.​

On the plus side, the movies that made him wealthy in the first place are none of these things; the wealth that they brought to him appears to have made him a spoiled child.

NSP

LE
@NSP wants to see what happens when he tags himself in his own post...

Edited to add: Sod all. Not even an alert!

Latest Threads