What film have you just watched?

Good choice. That's one film that unites the gays, the lesbians, the bis and the straights - all of them wanted to hump Doris Day something rotten after seeing that film and watching her spend most of it in buckskins.
Judging from a mini-doc on YouTube about her, it would seem that her private life was totally at odds with her screen identity. So the groups you mentioned may have had a chance.

Just watched " The Lord of The Flies " on TalkingPictures ... another film I have not seen in many a year ... released in 1963 and in black and white .... which to me adds to the drama .... a quite disturbing film demonstrating how close we always are to savagery ... the storyline concerns a group of schoolboys marooned on an island after their aircraft is shot down and shows how they quickly change .... there are no adult actors as such and the real stars are the child actors who put in stirring performances ... the end scenes are interesting .

A film to watch if you get the chance

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just watched " The Lord of The Flies " on TalkingPictures ... another film I have not seen in many a year ... released in 1963 and in black and white .... which to me adds to the drama .... a quite disturbing film demonstrating how close we always are to savagery ... the storyline concerns a group of schoolboys marooned on an island after their aircraft is shot down and shows how they quickly change .... there are no adult actors as such and the real stars are the child actors who put in stirring performances ... the end scenes are interesting .

Sadly this is forced fed to youngsters nowadays as part of their English GCSE. I remember reading the book as a youngster and enjoying it, and the film too. Very dark and thought provoking.

Slime

LE

Lord of the flies is somewhat akin to the Italian job.

The original film is excellent, and the only version to ever watch.
There was a 1990 remake of the lord of the flies, avoid it at all costs.

As you have recently watched it.……..I always think the character of Piggy in the ‘63 version looks like a young Nick Frost :)

Lord of the flies is somewhat akin to the Italian job.

The original film is excellent, and the only version to ever watch.
There was a 1990 remake of the lord of the flies, avoid it at all costs.

As you have recently watched it.……..I always think the character of Piggy in the ‘63 version looks like a young Nick Frost :)

My Bold .... is that not true of many remakes of classics .... Lord knows .... see what I did there ... what a remake of " Lord of The Flies " by the Woke / BLM / LGBT* generation would come out like .

Slime

LE
My Bold .... is that not true of many remakes of classics .... Lord knows .... see what I did there ... what a remake of " Lord of The Flies " by the Woke / BLM / LGBT* generation would come out like .

Yes, true, that's why I only mentioned the two set films :)

I haven't seen any of the new fast and furious films, but suspect they are better than the original. I like the original Little shop of horrors movie, but prefer the later musical version.
That said, a lot of people think the musical is the original :)
Both films have excellent dentist scenes, and both Jack Nicholson and Bill Murrey are perfect as the 'patient'

But, and its a big but.....No one should be forced to watch the remake of the lady killers!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It could only have been set in New York as the jurors are so aggressive and rude to one another. Outside of New York, the only other place you'll see anything like that is on this board.
What, what the feck are you on about now:???:

Yes, true, that's why I only mentioned the two set films :)

But, and its a big but.....No one should be forced to watch the remake of the lady killers!

Totally agree .... no actress could ever steal a film in the style of Katie Johnson who played the dear little old lady .... trapped in a genteel Edwardian time warp and oblivious to the mayhem about her .

NSP

LE
Godzilla vs. Kong. Like the recent Godzilla remake it's dark. Struggled to work out what was going on. At one point it seemed like "apes in space." Wasn't sure if they hadn't transmuted to another dimension or something. Meh...

Watched a naughty download of Russian cinemas "Unknown Battle" or "Rzhev" depending on where it comes from, without subtitles, and that was easier to follow than GvK. Sort of like an Eastern Front first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan in some ways - some very upfront and personal sequences of hand-to-hand trench fighting that make even Sven Hassels descriptive prose of the savagery seem tame.

Last edited:
Spacewalker. 2017 Russian movie about Alexy Leonov and the Voskhod 2 mission. Free on Prime and superb.

I have just finished watching "Shazam!", which is one of the few modern DC properties I want a sequel to. Scratch that, it's the only modern DC property that I want a sequel to. The rest can die in a fire screaming. Lots of action, good acting throughout, even from the kids in the cast, and Mark Strong as a really good villain.

Five odd-looking white capes out of five.

Apparently His Royal Rockness is in the sequel.

Just watched The Free State of Jones with Matthew McConaughey playing his usual role as drawlin' suthenah'.

Surprisingly good movie, quite a few decent battle scenes early on with all the appropriate gore. As the story developed I thought it might be some woke nonsense but in fact it's based on a true story and explores the dichotomy of unionism v. separatism and the post-war Republican/Democrat divide (with the Republicans being portrayed as the heroes for a change).

Well worth watching anyway, if you can ignore the usual problems with American Civil War movies with plump Confederate troops waddling into battle and everyone wearing stout leather boots when in fact they would have all been half-starved scare crows running around barefoot and with the arrse out of their trousers.

TamH70

MIA
Apparently His Royal Rockness is in the sequel.

Yeah, he's playing Black Adam, as far as I am aware. A role he's wanted to play for decades if the showbiz trades are correct.

He was good value in the first non-Robin Williams Jumanji film, so I am down for his role in the next Shazam film.

I'm quite looking forward to this

I do like a bit of "if you go down to the woods today, you'll regret it".

Scientists go into wood, lunatic's in the wood. Our lunatic.

tenor.gif

Bad Times at the El Royale.
Various strangers gather at a motel. Soon the secrets of the building are exposed.
Death and disaster soon follow...
Odd little film and it never seems to get going and I think it could have developed in a more satisfying manner.

High Ground (link with trailer)

Set in the 1930s' in Arnhem Land and based (loosely) on factual events, it tells the story of a young aboriginal man who is saved after his family is massacred by a former soldier who was a sniper in WW1. Some years later the young man and the sniper are sent to bring in an aboriginal warrior who is causing chaos in the region. The warrior is the young man's uncle.
Basically the film is about white/black relations which has been done before. However, this film is far more nuanced in how it depicts those relations and if you excuse the pun, it does not show it in black and white terms unlike previous films which were as subtle as a sledgehammer.
Beautifully filmed in one of the most spectacular areas of Australia, somewhere I was privileged to see a lot of in my aviation career, well acted by all the cast (Simon Baker of Mentalist fame) as the former sniper, Jack Thompson as the police chief tasked with tracking down the warrior, and a host of supporting cast.
The film was a project of Jack Thompson's who had long wanted to make a film based around the warrior's life and required considerable effort on his part as he has renal disease and needs dialysis every 3 days and this was filmed on location. Well worth watching.

"Der Wixxer" Play on words for "Der Wichser" which translated means " The W&nker"

A tragicomedy parody send up of bumbling police officers and a mix of Kaiser Soce from The Usual Suspects from what I can gather.

I have not watched this Film yet, but considering watching it for one reason and one reason only.

The Madness Video to the song NW5 on YouTube is absolutely awesome, stunning video with haunting lyrics and melodies; and it includes a lot of film clips from the film "Der Wixxer" so it has piqued my interest.

Wait Out...
Screenshot_20210625-105449_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I've just gone back to the Bond beginning:

Seven 37 pattern web belts out of ten.