What film have you just watched?

Indeed. So much so that I can remember little else of the film, not having watched it in many years, but that particular scene has stayed with me. Probably the best anti-war moment of any film, and I include 'All Quiet.......' and 'Paths of Glory' in that.
As you say, the sheer starkness, the reaction - or lack of - from the troops and the most inappropriate music elevate the shot to what I would consider greatness. A scene that in any poll of best scenes ( whatever the term) would rank with Welles in 'Citizen Kane' and in 'The Third Man'
Full film here for when you have a couple of spare hours.

Slime

LE
I’ve started watching a box set of Sapphire and Steel, but have a lot of time free tonight, and noted Brave new world is available on Youtube,

Have any of you watched this version?

philc

LE
This must be written by some arrse fantasist, anyone seen it?

Three in the Attic is a 1968 comedy film directed by Richard Wilson and starring Christopher Jones and Yvette Mimieux, with Judy Pace and Maggie Thrett. Nan Martin, John Beck, and Eve McVeagh appear in supporting roles.[2] Jones plays Paxton Quigley, a lothario who swears his fidelity to all three of the women he is dating, each of whom is unaware of his deception. When they learn the truth about Paxton, the women lure him into a college dormitory attic, where they each take turns attacking Paxton sexually in order to punish him.

I’ve started watching a box set of Sapphire and Steel, but have a lot of time free tonight, and noted Brave new world is available on Youtube,

Have any of you watched this version?

Ah yes, those were the days when Al Beeb actually put some decent dramas / thought provoking shows out (even though this was an American production).

Be interesting to see how Brave New World would be done nowadays.

Thanks for posting that link.

Just watched this German film on YouTube. Haie und Keine Fische. Sharks and small fish. It is set in WW2 and depicts four young German Kriegsmarine sailors who are initially posted to a minesweeper flotilla. After battles with the RAF and RB MTB's in the North sea their ship is sunk and the survivors eventually picked up by a U Boat. After time in hospital the leading man and his mate become officers and are posted to a U Boat. Some good action scenes as it is in black and white there are some genuine action shots spliced into the film I have not seen before. In German with no sub titles, but you can guess most of the diologue.

Hai und Kleine Fische.

Edit. Can't play direct. You have to go to the link to YouTube.

Slime

LE
Ah yes, those were the days when Al Beeb actually put some decent dramas / thought provoking shows out (even though this was an American production).

Be interesting to see how Brave New World would be done nowadays.

Thanks for posting that link.

There are a couple of youtube postings for this version.
I started watching the one in the link I posted, but it was pretty fuzzy and distorted so I switched to a much clearer version that was split into two parts.

The plot was well done, and I think the scenery was also very well done.
As for how it might be made today, this 1980 version had a good mix of black and white actors in all roles, but the fact men and women joined together might have to add men and men etc, plus perhaps some of white white male lead characters would become black women.

As a cynic, I suspect the ‘Western leader’ having a brown skin would never do, and would need to become a black person.

Overall, this was a good representation of the book, and well worth a watch.

TamH70

MIA
I have just finished watching "Shazam!", which is one of the few modern DC properties I want a sequel to. Scratch that, it's the only modern DC property that I want a sequel to. The rest can die in a fire screaming. Lots of action, good acting throughout, even from the kids in the cast, and Mark Strong as a really good villain.

Five odd-looking white capes out of five.

On TalkingPictures channel about to watch the original version of " The Plank " starring " The Plank" , Eric Sykes , Tommy Cooper and guest appearances by many well known personalities of that time

Slime

LE
There is only one. The other one is actually an Los Angeles job.

To be fair, the newer film is pretty good, all it lacks is.

Proper British cars.
Decent actors.
A credible plot.
A cool bus.
A decent ending.
A cool soundtrack, including ‘Get a bloomin’ move on*
And, Benny Hill.

Apart from those things it’s pretty good.

*the track everyone calls the self preservation society.

Slime

LE
On TalkingPictures channel about to watch the original version of " The Plank " starring " The Plank" , Eric Sykes , Tommy Cooper and guest appearances by many well known personalities of that time

I have that on DVD.
An excellent film, very funny, plus with an added bonus of having a cute kitten in part of the film :)

I have that on DVD.
An excellent film, very funny, plus with an added bonus of having a cute kitten in part of the film :)
I think I may have it on DVD as part of a Sykes compendium of short films .... but it may be the Eric Sykes / Arthur Lowe version ... the DVD is in a safe place .

philc

LE
The Italian Job, again grrr

I watch it with different eyes, the Fiat test track now being a shopping centre with restaurants on the top floor, we used to go there after my wife’s visits to her oncologist. Other parts of Turino like wise.

Diko

Old-Salt
Calamity Jane

Attachments

• 63F35B37-DE43-40FD-9E1B-86ECDE42BB0E.jpeg
    63F35B37-DE43-40FD-9E1B-86ECDE42BB0E.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 4

TamH70

MIA
Calamity Jane

Good choice. That's one film that unites the gays, the lesbians, the bis and the straights - all of them wanted to hump Doris Day something rotten after seeing that film and watching her spend most of it in buckskins.