What film have you just watched?

Could that be because the actual on-screen store is the orginal, "HQ" location in LeClaire, Iowa - some considerable distance in the other direction...?

They have two stores, their HQ, and the secondary Nashville location. Both locations according to their series, and website, are working antique shops. Only that the Nashville one does not sell antiquey stuff, only tourist tat.

Last evening, I watched 'AK-47 Kalashnikov' a Russian film which is a biopic and a history of the development of the weapon in the title. It is an engaging and interesting film and based closely, I read, on the inventor's autobiography. It's is presently on Amazon Prime to rent/buy and no doubt in other places too.

Trailer (the trailer has voice-over but you can choose Russian audio with subtitles).

Page Eight.

If you like watching the best Brit actors in the business watch this

Part of a trilogy too. So another brace to enjoy.
Watched this on Netflix last night; great cast, average plot, wooden acting. Shame, considering the names in the cast list. Smiley's People it ain't. Not sure I'd bother watching the other two films if there are any.

Truxx

LE
Watched this on Netflix last night; great cast, average plot, wooden acting. Shame, considering the names in the cast list. Smiley's People it ain't. Not sure I'd bother watching the other two films if there are any.
I liked the acting, at least Nighy and Gambon. It was like they were just playing around with their characters, There was much in the plot that was clearly based in the events in Whitehall in the early 2000s, so it was nicely observed in that regard.

I will watch the other two.

John Wayne in The Green Berets was always one of my favourite films together with Lost Command. I saw them in the cinema when they first came out. Interesting video on YouTube about the troubles John Wayne had making the film.

HCL

LE
John Wayne in The Green Berets was always one of my favourite films together with Lost Command. I saw them in the cinema when they first came out. Interesting video on YouTube about the troubles John Wayne had making the film.

The sun setting in the East didn't help it.

TamH70

MIA
Last evening, I watched 'AK-47 Kalashnikov' a Russian film which is a biopic and a history of the development of the weapon in the title. It is an engaging and interesting film and based closely, I read, on the inventor's autobiography. It's is presently on Amazon Prime to rent/buy and no doubt in other places too.

Trailer (the trailer has voice-over but you can choose Russian audio with subtitles).

For information, it's on Amazon Prime video for £7.99 in HD, with Russian audio and English subtitles.

Watched I Care a Lot last night. Great, if you want to see empowered women being assholes but assholes we are supposed to root for.

There was the makings of a brilliant movie, and that's how it appeared at the start; a Kafkaesque nightmare in which vested interests in the medical, legal, social services and retirement home sectors conspire to rip off vulnerable old people but then it just descended into a trite gangster flick, not in any way relieved by a disappointing and wooden performance by Peter Dinklage.

A few digs at angry white men, a shout out to the gay community and a searing (yawn) indictment of modern capitalism all dressed up in a hard-to-believe plot that never rose above pedestrian.

Watched Sky's "Twist" yesterday afternoon. Not a bad, undemanding romp; basically a series of free running chases across the roofs of the East End, with Michael Caine as Fagin and Lena Headey (Cersei in GoT) as Sykes.

Raff Law, Jude's lad is Twist, which he does quite well.

What capped it for me was a 'bit of bone' from my other half. While the credits were rolling she came out with:
"Do you think Raff Law did the Shar Pei himself?"

Well, there was a Doberman, but no one 'did' it.

"Shar Pei? ....... What?........ Oh! you mean Parkour!"

"Um! I don't know where Shar Pei came from!"

Watched Mosul on Netflicks twice, based on a true story, Iraqi swat team against ISIS

High end US production values and good US director but all in Arabic and no yanks to be seen anywhere just Iraqi on Iraqi plus a wee bit of Iranian. It is a film about honour, revenge and cigerettes and lots of close up fighting

Well worth a watch

Netflix redeemed itself a bit last night, (I really can't believe how hard it is to find anything entertaining on what is supposed to be the world's premier entertainment service) when I discovered The Interview.

If I am not wrong this is the movie that led to the cyber attack on Sony Pictures a few years back. The movie is a totally absurd but at times very funny romp about a lightweight celebrity interviewer and his producer who set out to make a name for themselves as "serious" journalists by interviewing Kim Jong-un, think of a spoof Frost versus Nixon.

It's full of laugh-out-loud puerile, and yet occasionally quite intelligent, humour and is well worth watching if you want to switch your mind off for a couple of hours and be entertained by a jolly farce laced with slapstick, gore, Soviet-era tanks and helicopters and the occasional flash of boobs. Even the wife left off from her phone for the duration and enjoyed a good chuckle.

Watched I Care a Lot last night. Great, if you want to see empowered women being assholes but assholes we are supposed to root for.

There was the makings of a brilliant movie, and that's how it appeared at the start; a Kafkaesque nightmare in which vested interests in the medical, legal, social services and retirement home sectors conspire to rip off vulnerable old people but then it just descended into a trite gangster flick, not in any way relieved by a disappointing and wooden performance by Peter Dinklage.

A few digs at angry white men, a shout out to the gay community and a searing (yawn) indictment of modern capitalism all dressed up in a hard-to-believe plot that never rose above pedestrian.
Yeah but Rosamund Pike!

I was more interested in her wee friend.

Whatever floats your boat...
Unknown.jpeg

Latest Threads