What film have you just watched?

NSP

LE
Best of Enemies on t'Flix. Headshed of the local Klan chapter in North Carolina has his attitude changed when he agrees to sit on a committee of six whites and six blacks in his hick town in the '70s to address local civil rights issues. Sam Rockwell turns in another of his excellent performances as a redneck with attitude (he played the mental child murderer in The Green Mile, who actually commits the crime Coffee is convected for). Based on a true story. Vignettes of the real people the leading actors play, giving documentary soundbites, appear in the end credits.

Not too shabby, really.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just watched "Mordecai" with Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow and Ewan McGregor. Shady dealings in the art world.

Absolute tosh but a funny film to watch. The story about chasing a missing Goya with a secret code to Goering's Swiss bank account on the back.

A funny, easy to watch film which passes a few enjoyable minutes. It will never win an Oscar but who cares, it has a few good laughs.

Watched again today on TalkingPictures “ Twelve Angry Men “ classic taut American Court Room , but mainly Jury Room , drama made in 1957 about the trial of a young man charged with murder . It is full of actors whose faces I remember from other American films of that time including Lee J Cobb but to me it is Henry Fonda who puts in the finest performance .

A taster ...

... well worth a watch .

... and for the Old and Bold Tony Hancock made his own version in a Hancock's Half Hour episode ....

Great film. Saw a bit of it whilst having a break, shame I couldn’t watch it till the end.

It works well dramatically, a group of disparate characters in the ‘pressure cooker’ of a small hot and humid jury room. Just the right setting to get the characters frazzled and argumentative.

Slime

LE
Currently watching Aquaman.
I haven’t seen it before and am about twenty minutes in. It’s already as boring as boring can be.

There have been two interesting things so far though.
The first is that an early scene was in a lighthouse, that reminded me of a ‘Smith and Jones‘ sketch.

The second was how the baddies would wait ‘in turn’ to fight aquaman, just like the baddies in ‘Champion the wonder horse’ would do.

This Smith and Jones sketch is far superior to the film.

TamH70

MIA
I have just finished watching "The Kid Who Would Be King", about a young boy who ends up drawing the sword of Excalibur from the Stone and has a lot of adventures.

The filmmakers pulled off an almost John Wickian level of an impossible task - managing to cast child actors who were actually good at their job. The action is quite intense as well at times, with fiery swords and fire-breathing BFO skeletal horses chasing the titular kid and his pals through a forest in the dark.

for more details.

sunny james

War Hero
Watched again today on TalkingPictures “ Twelve Angry Men “ classic taut American Court Room , but mainly Jury Room , drama made in 1957 about the trial of a young man charged with murder . It is full of actors whose faces I remember from other American films of that time including Lee J Cobb but to me it is Henry Fonda who puts in the finest performance .

A taster ...

... well worth a watch .

... and for the Old and Bold Tony Hancock made his own version in a Hancock's Half Hour episode ....

As did Arthur Daley

arfah

LE
Galaxy Quest (1999).
Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell.

Actors in a Sci-Fi drama have to save a race of aliens from anihilation from race of evil aliens and give up the secret of the Omega 13 device.
(Spoofs Star Trek and the fractious relationships between actors).

I watched it on DVD about 20 years ago and I’ve watched it a few times over the last 3-4years because it’s clumsy, stupid and a rather good píss take. 8/10.

Last edited:
As did Arthur Daley
Thanks for that ... now downloaded .... actress playing one of the Juror's was the girlfriend / wife Cassandra of Rodney in Only Fools and Horses .

I watched it on DVD about 20 years ago and I’ve watched it a few times over the last 3-4years because it’s clumsy, stupid and a rather good píss take. 8/10.
Also because Sigourney Weaver still looked pretty good in a low-cut jumpsuit.

I've just watched this on Netflix:

Beautifully shot, with an all-Cambodian cast, which I suppose was good going considering the KR had killed all the actors in Cambodia during the time that the film depicts. I didn't realise before watching that Angelina Jolie had co-written the screenplay. It is based on the book of the same name by Loung Ung who co-wrote the screenplay with Jolie. It was filmed in Siem Reap and Battambang provinces in Cambodia.

If you need cheering up, give it a go. Eight and a half soggy hankies out of ten.

Pretty easy ****, then?
I knew what to expect, I suppose, but there are some very moving bits in it. The weapon training (AK 47 for primary school age kids) is very dodgy though. If the film was based around a group of adults it would have not been so effective. The area where the film was made looks very like where my wife comes from and the people in her neck of the woods are ethnically closer to the Khmer than they are to the Chinese Thais of central Thailand (and far better looking).

E2A: the wife won't watch it.

TamH70

MIA
Also because Sigourney Weaver still looked pretty good in a low-cut jumpsuit.
Don't forget her favourite prop from that film - her awesomely long blonde wig. Which she felt was draining IQ points from her every time she put it on.

TamH70

MIA
Cannibal Holocaust, on Amazon Prime (free if you are a member). Probably a lot cut down from the original but still pretty intense footage of mutilation, cannibalism (natürlich), bloodshed, murder, full-frontal male and female nudity, and shiny gold watches and chains worn by camouflaged soldiers in the jungle.

In my eyes, it's most notable for starring the guy from Debbie Does Dallas who actually got to do Debbie at the end of that film, a certain R. Bolla, or as he's called in the movie, Robert Kerman.

He's actually pretty good in his role as an anthropologist who has to go into the Green Inferno of the Amazon to track down a bunch of young "American" filmmakers who deservedly got eaten.

Not a date night film unless your name is John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy but compelling nonetheless.

Three and a half severed and skinned tribal heads out of five.

Latest Threads