What film have you just watched?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just finished watching "A Call to Spy" on Netflix.

The story of two very brave women, Noor Inayat Khan and Virginia Hall and the woman who recruited them Vera Atkins.

Tarted up for cinema it may have been but what a story these ladies made. Noor was captured and executed, later being posthumously awarded the GC. Virginia Hall was an American who had lost a leg in a shooting accident pre-war. Hall became probably the most successful agent in France, mainly working out of Lyon until she was denounced by a priest, but managed to escape by getting a train to Perpignan then walking over the mountains into Spain - with a wooden leg!

What a story and a well made film which captures the atmosphere of the time. Very much worth a watch.

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
I watched it last night as well and wasn't quite as happy.

The story was well told albeit a bit thin, but I like things to be accurate and early on walking into the lobby of a busy London office there were blokes standing around no ties, sleeves rolled up, braces showing. Now we're both of an age to know that would not have been acceptable in 1942.

The worst one for me though, was the Lysander flying past at night accompanied by the sound of a Merlin engine, not a Bristol Mercury. When we eventually saw an aircraft it appeared to be something like an Auster.

The portions of food on the table in the French bar were a bit much as we'd just been told the Germans (or the Nazis, as we were constantly told) were taking most of the food the French produced, then climbing over the Pyrenees wrapped in a nice clean blanket was a trifle stretching it as well.

The Klaus Barbie inclusion was well done which made me look it up and some of the things he was personally responsible for, at the age of only 29, were truly horrific. I was astounded to see he was hired by the US at the end of the war, only receiving justice in the 1980s.

The Mauritian. US Prime Amazon. UK end of this month I believe.

It's a very well acted and thought provoking film about the prisoner treatment at GITMO after 9/11 and the resulting Law Suit regarding imprisonment without trial.

I think it deserves a discussion thread in it's own right tbh when a few more people have watched it.

p.s: A mate (seriously) told me that he HD streamed it on TorrentGalaxy.to using his Opera VPN without any issues at all. ie: no e-mail from his ISP about illegal viewing.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I watched it last night as well and wasn't quite as happy.

The story was well told albeit a bit thin, but I like things to be accurate and early on walking into the lobby of a busy London office there were blokes standing around no ties, sleeves rolled up, braces showing. Now we're both of an age to know that would not have been acceptable in 1942.

The worst one for me though, was the Lysander flying past at night accompanied by the sound of a Merlin engine, not a Bristol Mercury. When we eventually saw an aircraft it appeared to be something like an Auster.

The portions of food on the table in the French bar were a bit much as we'd just been told the Germans (or the Nazis, as we were constantly told) were taking most of the food the French produced, then climbing over the Pyrenees wrapped in a nice clean blanket was a trifle stretching it as well.

The Klaus Barbie inclusion was well done which made me look it up and some of the things he was personally responsible for, at the age of only 29, were truly horrific. I was astounded to see he was hired by the US at the end of the war, only receiving justice in the 1980s.
I did start off my comments on the film by saying it had been "tarted up" for filming, but the story of these two very brave women is what the film is about. I am also not so convinced that in a busy London office, in wartime, that jackets off, sleeves roled up would not be that strange.

I knew that Noor was put into a difficult situation and only lasted a few months ending in her torture and execution. I did not know the story of Ms Hall and will look for more on her. To lead the Germans a merry-dance with a false leg is remarkable. :)

Just finished watching "A Call to Spy" on Netflix.

The story of two very brave women, Noor Inayat Khan and Virginia Hall and the woman who recruited them Vera Atkins.

Tarted up for cinema it may have been but what a story these ladies made. Noor was captured and executed, later being posthumously awarded the GC. Virginia Hall was an American who had lost a leg in a shooting accident pre-war. Hall became probably the most successful agent in France, mainly working out of Lyon until she was denounced by a priest, but managed to escape by getting a train to Perpignan then walking over the mountains into Spain - with a wooden leg!

What a story and a well made film which captures the atmosphere of the time. Very much worth a watch.

Slight thread drift …. After the WW2 was over Vera Atkins went to extremes to find and bring to justice the Germans responsible for the torture and execution of “ her “ SOE agents …. including Noor Inayat Khan …. back on thread .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Slight thread drift …. After the WW2 was over Vera Atkins went to extremes to find and bring to justice the Germans responsible for the torture and execution of “ her “ SOE agents …. including Noor Inayat Khan …. back on thread .
Indeed she did and found the whereabouts or what happened to 117, she was looking for 118 but one actually survived. There was a huge turnover in agents with not a very good chance of a pension.

Kirkz

LE
Unsane - Last night on Film 4.
Bit predictable but watchable.
5 padded cells out of 10.

Indeed she did and found the whereabouts or what happened to 117, she was looking for 118 but one actually survived. There was a huge turnover in agents with not a very good chance of a pension.
I cannot give you a Like for that Post it does not seem quite correct ... and I was aware of some of the content ... I hold in high esteem all the ladies who volunteered to become SOE agents ... your Post confirms the high risks associated with their work .

Last edited:

slick

LE
Very good episode in the "Nazi Hunters" series covered some of Vera Atkins search for her missing girls....

NSP

LE
On "A Call To Spy," I'd just like to say in the light of subsequent commentary to my original "I just watched..." post that at the time of viewing I, unusually, did not have my spotter head on as I was watching it whilst harvesting oats to feed my horses (I have become hopelessly addicted to Farming Simulator 19).

On the plus side this has broken my addiction to Euro Truck Sim' 2, American Truck SIm' and Tank Mechanic.

Very good episode in the "Nazi Hunters" series covered some of Vera Atkins search for her missing girls....

Thanks for that ... now downloaded .... I saw that some years ago and it may have been the trigger for me to buy a copy of the book " The Secret Hunters " which explains how after WW2 SAS and SOE teams , including Vera Atkins embarked on the task of finding out the perpetrators of War Crimes against their Troops /Agents

NSP

LE
On the face of it, I'd have thought an Indian would have stuck out like a sore thumb in France full stop at that time, let alone war-time France.

However, it appears that the real NIK did not look quite as Indian as the rather lovely young lady that they cast to play her...

Noor_Inayat_Khan.jpeg

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt

Very interesting and well documented, and having watched the film it adds to the understanding of Vera Atkins and the importance of her story.

My comments regarding accuracy are possibly because the film's budget didn't stretch very far, but it is a story that has to be told.

Ritch

LE
Currently watching The Hornets Nest from 2014. A documentary film following a father and son team who follow US troops on a combat mission in Afghanistan. So far it's pretty good.

Thanks for that ... now downloaded .... I saw that some years ago and it may have been the trigger for me to buy a copy of the book " The Secret Hunters " which explains how after WW2 SAS and SOE teams , including Vera Atkins embarked on the task of finding out the perpetrators of War Crimes against their Troops /Agents

I have some personal letters from the late CSM Fred ( Dusty) Rhodes appreciating assistance from two of us, then at ILLRP in Germany on one of his visits to Moussey. I must pass these on to the SAS Association. Your post has prompted me. I've not heard from Anthony Kemp, the author of that book in eons.

EL CAMINO absolutely dire dull and a waste of my and swmbo's time dull dull tedious pointless. Very disappointing after breaking bad and bcs.

Hidden Figures (2016)
Good story, until you research it and find a lot of it was made up to serve a PC agenda as usual! Shame.

Latest Threads