What film have you just watched?

NSP

LE
Submerged. A moment by moment account of the sinking and rescue of the crew of the submarine USS Squalus, which was the first rescue of living crew on a submarine. Apparently.

Added bonus: the very lovely Emily Proctor (CSI Miami) is in it as the sunk subs seniors wife.

Batasi next...

The 12th man. Norwegian WW2. True dit.

jesus it’s gripping. A must watch.

Just finished the 12th man. Holy shit. What a bloke.

I don’t think the Norwegian’s like the Germans at all.

absolutely a must watch

Watching Angel has fallen, the third in the trilogy. A bit slow to start but picks up eventually.

He does alright for a failed porridge wog solicitor...........he always seems to stick a knife into someones skull.

He does alright for a failed porridge wog solicitor...........he always seems to stick a knife into someones skull.
Well, he did actually graduate in Law from Glasgow university but was fired one week before the end of his post-qualification training that would have allowed him to practice. Personally, I'd rather kid-on putting shiv in some nuts nutter - probably pays more, shorter hours and longer holidays.

NSP

LE
Battle of the Last Panzer. One of those 1960 "spaghetti western" war films made by Italians and shot in arid, sunny Italy/Spain. A spotters paradise - the Tigers are M47 Pattons, the German infantry appears to be armed largely with the R1 or other FAL variant/derivative, the German waffenfarbe and shoulderboards are not WWII era, or even German, the US soldiers appear to be wearing Fallschirmjager or post-war Italian helmets, the chevrons and rockers on the American sergeants are not US pattern, the German TCs sidearm is not the expected P38 or Luger and doesn't look like anything in the German inventory - ditto the feldwebels MP40; it goes on and on. The dubbing isn't bad, though.

The plot and direction is typical of the genre, though, so if you're a fan of spaghetti flicks crack on. Find it on the MGM channel on Prime (I'm using the seven day free trial).

Edited to add: actually, the FAL-looking things, when I paused it to get a decent look, look more like CETME 58s. A bit of research reveals that a lot of the personal weapons seem to be post-war Spanish or Italian designs, actually.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Binned the Last Panzer and did The Bridge at Remagen again. Never realised that, in the words of the bossman, "The cast get on the bridge in Czechoslovakia, fight across it in Germany and get off it in Italy." Two-thirds of the way through filming in Czecho' the Russians invaded and the crew and cast had to flee in a massive convoy to the border, the last of them getting over an hour before the Russians closed it. The footage from a weeks worth of filming was left behind, causing an extra $1.5m to be added to the budget.

None of this is apparent when watching the movie.

Oh, and Stadt-Meckenheim. By tonight...!!

Well, he did actually graduate in Law from Glasgow university but was fired one week before the end of his post-qualification training that would have allowed him to practice. Personally, I'd rather kid-on putting shiv in some nuts nutter - probably pays more, shorter hours and longer holidays.

I have seen him in a couple of the US late night talk shows he explained his arrival in acting during one interview - he lives in Malibu. As you say he was binned during his last week of his articles whilst at a London firm of solicitors, he admitted it was down to his like of drink and partying - apparently turning up for work still shit-faced is not the done thing.

One thing I noticed is that unlike American actors who turn up looking like a refugee from either a hippy, biker, or pimps convention, he still looked like a solicitor wearing a suit suitable for the City. Actually, most of the British actors tend to look respectable, when interviewed, compared to their American counterparts.

Last edited:
Seen. Good call.

we watched the Wave and the Quake having googled ‘movies like the day after tomorrow’ and gave them a go. I’m sick to death of cycling through the same American produced shit - I’ve seen them all twenty times before.

we are working our way through the top 20 Norwegian films and the four we have watched so far have been superb. Well made, well acted and the subtitles don’t bother us at all. The films have been very easy to follow.

We’ll probably move onto other countries after we’ve done the Norwegian films. It’s making a nice change

The only one who’s showing an interest is our newest recruit, and a former RAF Regt officer.
Ah, but is he really a former RAF Regt officer?

Has he 'deployed' to Mali?

Does he live in a mobile home in Cumbria?

HCL

LE
we watched the Wave and the Quake having googled ‘movies like the day after tomorrow’ and gave them a go. I’m sick to death of cycling through the same American produced shit - I’ve seen them all twenty times before.

we are working our way through the top 20 Norwegian films and the four we have watched so far have been superb. Well made, well acted and the subtitles don’t bother us at all. The films have been very easy to follow.

We’ll probably move onto other countries after we’ve done the Norwegian films. It’s making a nice change

Try the Russian ones. They are different and not always what you'd expect if you're a cold War warrior.
Also the Korean ones too. Quite often they have head scratcher moments as you try to figure out why a character has done something but by and large very enjoyable, the historical Korean ones are great.

Just finished the 12th man. Holy shit. What a bloke.

I don’t think the Norwegian’s like the Germans at all.

absolutely a must watch
My Bold ... I worked for a Norwegian Company for many years and those who were alive during WW2 more so .

Battle of the Last Panzer. One of those 1960 "spaghetti western" war films made by Italians and shot in arid, sunny Italy/Spain. A spotters paradise - the Tigers are M47 Pattons, the German infantry appears to be armed largely with the R1 or other FAL variant/derivative, the German waffenfarbe and shoulderboards are not WWII era, or even German, the US soldiers appear to be wearing Fallschirmjager or post-war Italian helmets, the chevrons and rockers on the American sergeants are not US pattern, the German TCs sidearm is not the expected P38 or Luger and doesn't look like anything in the German inventory - ditto the feldwebels MP40; it goes on and on. The dubbing isn't bad, though.

The plot and direction is typical of the genre, though, so if you're a fan of spaghetti flicks crack on. Find it on the MGM channel on Prime (I'm using the seven day free trial).

Edited to add: actually, the FAL-looking things, when I paused it to get a decent look, look more like CETME 58s. A bit of research reveals that a lot of the personal weapons seem to be post-war Spanish or Italian designs, actually.
Remember that the Germans appropriated Czech French Dutch Polish and of course Belgium weapons for redistribution

The Austrian part of the war machine had of course sauer pistols

Standardisation never really occurred when fighting everyone

I have seen him in a couple of the US late night talk shows he explained his arrival in acting during one interview - he lives in Malibu. As you say he was binned during his last week of his articles whilst at a London firm of solicitors, he admitted it was down to his like of drink and partying - apparently turning up for work still shit-faced is not the done thing.

One thing I noticed is that unlike American actors who turn up looking like a refugee from either a hippy, biker, or pimps convention, he still looked like a solicitor wearing a suit suitable for the City. Actually, most of the British actors tend to look respectable, when interviewed, compared to their American counterparts.

I would put his appearance down to his mum..... A lovely woman who leads (or did) his fan club.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Watched the Old Guard last night, actually quite enjoyed it! Soundtrack was a bit out of place at times, but good action sequences - Im not a fan of the Micheal Bay style with high cyclic rates, much prefer the efficient and realistic (IMHO) rapid single shots. Finally got to see Fat Dursley from Harry Potter get his comeuppance (lost a lot of timber too!)

Latest Threads