What film have you just watched?

John Wick 3: Parabellum

They jumped the shark with the first film in this franchise and now they are jumping whales. Seriously, this film has nothing going for it even if you are a fan of action films.

John Wick 3: Parabellum

They jumped the shark with the first film in this franchise and now they are jumping whales. Seriously, this film has nothing going for it even if you are a fan of action films.
First film was great entertainment, second was alright but a chore and the third was dull as dishwater.

Different generation.
When I think back to what kids TV was like in my day, especially in the summer holidays.

Laurel and Hardy, 1930's Flash Gordon serial, that black and white Robinson Cruesoe series et al.

We were 'entertained' by stuff older than our parents.

Yup, Saturday morning viewing was of old Laurel and Hardy films, either that or The Three Goons.

And then there was the likes of Michael Bentine showcasing silent films of Buster Keaton and others.

Not sure it would work with the young kids of today.

HCL

LE
Stan and Ollie on iPlayer, a whimsical and I thought reverent film about them. Whatever one may think of Steve Coogan, I thought he did a good job of portraying Stan Laurel.

Somehow got to talking about the film with a 20 something colleague today who didn’t know who they were. I guess it’s another one of those generational checks one asks of others such do they know what a Nissan hut is.

But he hadn’t even heard of Blondie and Debbie Harry. I was shocked, shocked I tell ya. That was only the 70s, not like WW2.

Stan and Ollie, really, really a gem. Coogan and Reilly's portrayal was fantastic. It's a quiet little film, it doesn't miss a beat and deserved a lot more success - - and Oscars, imo. One of my all time favourite films.

Even if you don't know Ollie & Stan it's worth a watch. Character acting at its best. Loved the wives too.

Stan and Ollie, really, really a gem. Coogan and Reilly's portrayal was fantastic. It's a quiet little film, it doesn't miss a beat and deserved a lot more success - - and Oscars, imo. One of my all time favourite films.

Even if you don't know Ollie & Stan it's worth a watch. Character acting at its best. Loved the wives too.

Re the wives, I think you're right. The lady playing Stan's Russian wife was especially great with her ripostes and come backs.

I'm not sure. A Para knifes a German Sentry while Ralph Richardson(?) looks on bug eyed.
Could be the same if it was Operation Biting aka the Bruneval raid Mountbatten made the comment during a documentary about the latter which he had authorized as head of combined ops. Part of his raiding part was a recently formed Para unit.

ETA the man who led the raid was none other than Major John Frost - the same guy who led the para's at Arnhem. His parent regiment was the Cameronian Rifles. Op Biting was the first outing for the newly formed airborne division.

Last edited:

happyuk

War Hero
Another Tarantino goodie, 'Inglourious Basterds'

Christoph Waltz's plays a superb Nazi psychopath and his transitions from English to French to German are effortless. Love this scene, the classic 'I know that you know that I know' sort of thing lol.

Another score for Talking Pictures - "Theirs is the glory."
Following the British 1st Airborne Division's involvement in the Battle of Arnhem in September 1944 during Operation Market Garden.
Another one I'd never seen before and they used wartime footage mixed with "new" footage. some 200 hundred real soldiers were used (and paid £3 per day for filming)They also used the actual locations and some of the real people who were involved at the time in the story. Shot in 1946 it clearly showed the damage and destruction caused.
One curiosity, I didn't see any German soldiers, tanks yes, but no ground troops. (That said I was also multi tasking so may have missed them)

Watched Greenland with Gerard Butler - disaster movie. Well worth a watch.

Also did two Norwegian films with subtitles (things are getting desperate with Covid.....)

The Wave
The Quake

Both well worth a watch.

Going to watch the Intouchables tonight. French with subtitles but absolutely amazing and a true dit. Really well worth a watch

Torn between another rewatch of 'The Death of Stalin' or maybe Green Book. Jason Issacs take on Zhukov is hilarious.

We watched both this week - what a bizarre coincidence. Two excellent movies. Get some crisps in and watch them back to back

Latest Threads