Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

The performance by Pacino at the end when he's been summoned and he's taking his watch and jewellery off
Outstanding
When he's on the boat and he fully realises that he's really being left behind - same again. Doesn't say a word, but you can see his heart breaking.

Just watched on Talking Pictures a BFI Film “ Village School “ about a day in WW2 . The professional attitude of the Headmistress was extraordinary …. a very much “ can do “ approach …. she was running three classes at the same time ! One of her statements summed it all up …

War has made work harder for everyone but teachers like others have to change their work to suit the changed conditions but if it is truly possible the children must come through unscathed in mind as well as in body and that is the job we teachers are trying to do .

… at the moment we are at war with Corona Virus .

Regrettably the way we educate our children has not retained this WW2 spirit and values .... I was fortunate in being mainly educated in the 40’s and 50’s and some of the practices in this film still existed and I am not looking back through rose tinted spectacles .

The film is available on YouTube and worth a watch …

Last edited:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

OK - a bit hit and miss - it all looked great but some of the sketches didn't really deliver and it went a bit 'Tarantino' at points, Loved the sound of it's own voice a bit too much.

6.8 Gunslingers out of a Saloon.

philc

LE
Watched Silk Road, was aware of the background to the story and the outcome but the film fleshes it out a bit, with some artistic license, enjoyed it and still marvel at the idea.

Young idealist decides to set up a drug trading website on the darknet with him taking a % of the bitcoins, it just goes massive with the associated issues and paranoia.

The US Government sized his Bitcoins, sold them last year, 1 Billion $ is the figure, should of held them.

syrup

LE
Heads up especially for all you Airborne types.
Talking Pictures 13:45 today

Theirs Is The Glory the story of the Battle of Arnhem
Made in 1946 it features 200 men who took part in the now famous operation.

Heads up especially for all you Airborne types.
Talking Pictures 13:45 today

Theirs Is The Glory the story of the Battle of Arnhem
Made in 1946 it features 200 men who took part in the now famous operation.
Mein Gott, a Tiger that actually looks like a Tiger (because it probably was)!

In these days of much greater understanding of PTSD, I wonder how many of the 200 that filming it 'took back'? A bit of a pity with the dodgy voice-over, but worthy of a 'classic' as much as the ensemble Hollywood cast of 'A Bridge Too Far', and every bit as realistic and ironic - 'Sorry Mum'.

An interesting point for today's moral 'warriors' is that there's no qualms about (needs must) depicting the establishment of a military HQ inside a church.

E2A: And the alleged kamikaze Liberator pilot after the rest of the crew has bailed out, 'He's going to crash his plane onto the ack-ack battery that's shot him down'.

Last edited:

Sticky847

Clanker
Just watched ‘ Wonder Woman 1984’ even though I’d seen critical drinkers review of it the kids wanted to watch something new tonight, it was not good at all even my kids were criticising it after 10 minutes and they will usually watch anything But it just made no sense even for a superhero film. Even Gal Gadot couldn’t keep me interested, as an average we gave it 2 stars and that’s being generous.

Just watched ‘ Wonder Woman 1984’ even though I’d seen critical drinkers review of it the kids wanted to watch something new tonight, it was not good at all even my kids were criticising it after 10 minutes and they will usually watch anything But it just made no sense even for a superhero film. Even Gal Gadot couldn’t keep me interested, as an average we gave it 2 stars and that’s being generous.
At least they tried to put some spin on it...

"The Gentle Sex" recorded onto the DVR this afternoon. Following the military careers of seven ATS recruits, a sort of "The New Lot" but for dorises.

Quite an interesting film, all the bits you would expect of a British wartime propaganda piece but with a (not so proto) feminist slant. Interesting portrayal of things like drill where the "fearsome" drill sergeant makes his point by getting a laugh and opening with a compliment (to be fair this is later in training). The whole thing flirts with being a bit soapy but I suppose that was the nature of film drama in those days. At one stage some of the girls watch the downing of a Luftwaffe aircraft and their reactions (which are contrasting due to their personal histories) are shown. It's definitely not expounding that the only good hun is a dead hun.

Also, because some of the characters are posed to a mixed AA Bty quite a bit of AAA stuff including sound gear for AA, search lights, various range finders, predictors and guns. Shown in action with quite a lot of the drill for the predictors and so on.

ETA

Also notable for John Laurie (Frazer in Dads Army), resplendent in kilt as the love interest of one of the girls.

The Four Feathers (1939) Talking Pics.
Starring Ralph Richardson, John Clements and, believe it or not, a young John Laurie as the Mahdi.
Very enjoyable adventure film with the British and it’s allies fighting The Khalifa. Lots of battle scenes with the stoic square jawed Tommy fighting the Fuzzy-Wuzzy (‘they don’t like it up ‘em’) in line with steady volley fire.
Story is about an ex soldier who is judged to be a coward when he resigns his commission and is given four white feathers. He then departs to Egypt to redeem himself.
Love it.

The Four Feathers (1939) Talking Pics.
Starring Ralph Richardson, John Clements and, believe it or not, a young John Laurie as the Mahdi.
Very enjoyable adventure film with the British and it’s allies fighting The Khalifa. Lots of battle scenes with the stoic square jawed Tommy fighting the Fuzzy-Wuzzy (‘they don’t like it up ‘em’) in line with steady volley fire.
Story is about an ex soldier who is judged to be a coward when he resigns his commission and is given four white feathers. He then departs to Egypt to redeem himself.
Love it.
I too watched and thoroughly enjoyed it ..... via Wiki subsequently discovered it was filmed in the Sudan and Forty soldiers of the 1st Battalion the East Surrey Regiment were used in period uniforms for scenes in which they withstood the Dervish advance en masse .... and heard the order given " Form Square " for the final defence against the horde .

Mein Gott, a Tiger that actually looks like a Tiger (because it probably was)!

In these days of much greater understanding of PTSD, I wonder how many of the 200 that filming it 'took back'? A bit of a pity with the dodgy voice-over, but worthy of a 'classic' as much as the ensemble Hollywood cast of 'A Bridge Too Far', and every bit as realistic and ironic - 'Sorry Mum'.

An interesting point for today's moral 'warriors' is that there's no qualms about (needs must) depicting the establishment of a military HQ inside a church.

E2A: And the alleged kamikaze Liberator pilot after the rest of the crew has bailed out, 'He's going to crash his plane onto the ack-ack battery that's shot him down'.

Quite a strange film to the modern eye. I forced my other half to watch it, and she remarked that the men of the 1st Airborne clearly had many fine qualities, but acting wasn't one of them....

Interesting that it was shot just a year after the actual event. You could tell who the veterans were by the way they reacted 'under fire'.

It also featured some of the Dutch civilians who gave assistance to the soldiers.

Strange that none of the actors/soldiers were credited in the production, although I suspect they were happy with the £3.00 a day they were on, especially when the average weekly wage was less than £5.00.

Wikipedia has an entry for it and notes that it was a notable box office success, and says that the producers gave £50,000 to Airborne Forces Security Fund.

Last edited:
I have finally watched The Death of Stalin. It had me in stitches and will be watched again. Zhukov was particularly good. I see from IMDb that it was not shown in Russia . . .

Issi

War Hero
I watched Sicario again last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The border checkpoint scene is a great piece of cinema.

I watched Sicario again last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The border checkpoint scene is a great piece of cinema.
That film annoyed me - so close but really silly plot points screwed it.

I have finally watched The Death of Stalin. It had me in stitches and will be watched again. Zhukov was particularly good. I see from IMDb that it was not shown in Russia . . .
"That ****** thinks he can take on the Red Army? I fucked Germany, I think I can take a flesh lump in a ******* waistcoat."

You can tell Jason Isaacs just had a ball in that role.

"Baywatch", the new one last night.
I'd picked the evenings first movie; 'Rental' on Prime. Not a bad idea but what a woefully disapointing ending, almost like they had forgot to write one so they asked a passing cabbage to finish it off.
Baywatch was Mrs Biffs pick which I was groaning about before it started but despite a predicable plot (come on, its about beach babes in underwear ffs) the Rock was funny and carried the rest of the cast well. Some very fit women who apparently saved people from drowning or something. A decent movie requiring little investment.
Baywatch - 7/10
Rental - 1/10

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
"Baywatch", the new one last night.
I'd picked the evenings first movie; 'Rental' on Prime. Not a bad idea but what a woefully disapointing ending, almost like they had forgot to write one so they asked a passing cabbage to finish it off.
Baywatch was Mrs Biffs pick which I was groaning about before it started but despite a predicable plot (come on, its about beach babes in underwear ffs) the Rock was funny and carried the rest of the cast well. Some very fit women who apparently saved people from drowning or something. A decent movie requiring little investment.
Baywatch - 7/10
Rental - 1/10

For some reason, I watched it and thought it had a few decent gags in. "Taint" was one such highlight as was the decompositional fluid dripping.

Maybe I just have a weird sense of humour.

Latest Threads