Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<< Get Shorty >>

- John Travolta enjoying himself hugely as a Florida torpedo who goes to L.A chasing a debt and finds himself in the movie business with Gene Hackman.

1613432553119.png

Violent comedy, better than I remember it - takes the p1ss out of Tinseltown and the boulevard of faded dreams.

A slim young James Gandolfini pre-Sopranos as a muscleman for a drug-dealer - and a cameo from Bette Midler :cool:

1613433475947.png

What's not to like ? ;-)

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Is it that fucking difficult to get in?
A young couple die in an accident and appear at the Pearly Gates. During the admissions process they ask St. Pete if they can still go through with the wedding that they'd got arranged down on Earth. St. Pete asks them what denomination. "Catholic," they reply.

St. Pete says, "Hang on here, then."

Time passes and it starts to get dark. An angel comes out of the gates with a tent, a couple of gonk sacks and two steak and chips plus go-withs and eating irons. "St. Pete said to bed down here for the night - he'll be with you shortly."

This goes on for three months. Finally, St. Pete reappears at the gates (noting the BFO queue that's formed in his absence) with a chap in cassock and dog collar in tow.

"I've got a priest and he's ready to marry you. Given the queue, may we get on with it?"

"Well, actually, we've been thinking. Eternity is a long time and what if we can't get on for eternity? Would we be able to get a divorce up here?"

"A divorce?!!" exclaims St. Pete. "Are you on glue? It's taken me three months to find a priest up here. How long do you think it will take me to find to a fucking lawyer...?" And he sends them off into limbo.

So, to answer your question, I suspect yes.

However, I'm an atheist and think it's all a load of made-up bollocks so...

Kirkz

LE
A young couple die in an accident and appear at the Pearly Gates. During the admissions process they ask St. Pete if they can still go through with the wedding that they'd got arranged down on Earth. St. Pete asks them what denomination. "Catholic," they reply.

Time passes and it starts to get dark. An angel comes out of the gates with a tent, a couple of gonk sacks and two steak and chips plus go-withs and eating irons. "St. Pete said to bed down here for the night - he'll be with you shortly."

This goes on for three months. Finally, St. Pete reappears at the gates (noting the BFO queue that's formed in his absence) with a chap in cassock and dog collar in tow.

"I've got a priest and he's ready to marry you. Given the queue, may we get on with it?"

"Well, actually, we've been thinking. Eternity is a long time and what if we can't get on for eternity? Would we be able to get a divorce up here?"

"A divorce?!!" exclaims St. Pete. "Are you on glue? It's taken me three months to find a priest up here. How long do you think it will take me to find to a fucking lawyer...?" And he sends them off into limbo.

Way to long, I got bored at "couple".

morsk

LE

Wasn't that was a yes or no question, @Kirkz ?

slick

LE
I recently watched "Land and Freedom" by Ken Loach, saw it originally back in the `90s. Loach and the subject matter are extremely left wing, plus the leading man has a scouse accent (which I`ve never liked listening too). I should hate the film but I find it very watchable, about an interesting period in history.

slick

LE
I can't believe that I've never watched this. Well, I have now:

I'm sure everyone else has seen it, but I thought it was well done.
I agree, it was one of those few remakes which were extremely well done.... although I had a problem at first with John Boy Walton playing the lead :D

ches

LE

I quite liked that version & thought it stood up to the original pretty well.

I recently watched "Land and Freedom" by Ken Loach, saw it originally back in the `90s. Loach and the subject matter are extremely left wing, plus the leading man has a scouse accent (which I`ve never liked listening too). I should hate the film but I find it very watchable, about an interesting period in history.

Not seen that for ages & enjoyed it. The lead cropped up in the last series of Tin Star as the baddie.

Came very very close to watching 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' at the weekend, but couldn't bring myself to watching a Ken Loach film on a Saturday night with a bottle or two of a nice red (pardon the pun).

I ended up watching this instead

Cheered me right up!

Came very very close to watching 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' at the weekend, but couldn't bring myself to watching a Ken Loach film on a Saturday night with a bottle or two of a nice red (pardon the pun).

I ended up watching this instead

Cheered me right up!
The Wind That Shakes The Barley is not bad (if you ignore the left wing agenda in all his films - See Peterloo as an example) and Cillian Murphy is always good to watch.

Sorry but Amy Schumer is on my list of people to avoid, I find her really annoying.

I have the book and both versions of the film .... personally I prefer the 1930 black and white version ... but agree the the 1979 version is well made and is faithful to the book .

There were two versions of the 1930 film, a "talkie" and a silent as not all cinemas were geared up for sound.

According to the director Lewis Milestone they didn't have an ending for the film. The book ends with the rather bland statement that Paul died in October 1918 on a day that the unit diary just said" All Quiet On The Western Front". Milestone says that when driving with one of the crew in heavy rain the other bloke just kept repeating the word schmetterling (German for butterfly) in time with the wipers. Milestone said that the answer was staring him in the face as Paul was a butterfly collector, leading to the famous ending.

Land and freedom is actually a good take on the story of an idealistic foreigner going to Spain to fight for the Republicans as quite a few did. It also shows how that side were undone by factionalism and infighting as much as by the Facists.

Poppy

LE
The Pied Piper based on the Nevil Shute novel - very good but, as always, not as good as the book

"Edie" with Sheila Hancock as an elderly widow determined to climb a Scottish mountain - very enjoyable

Donnie Brasco - I'd seen it before, the wife hadn't.

Marks out of ten? Forgedaboudit.

'Margin Call' on Amazon (again). One of those which needs to be seen again and probably again. It's been referred to here before, surely, but the actors are excellent and the action good. I like Stanley Tucci, Kevin Spacey and Jeremy Irons, and the new guy with the big ears in Star Trek. The characters are similar to many I've seen before in the large corporations I've worked for, too, as are some of the situations.

NSP

LE
Miss Bala. Pants.

Greenland. Not too awful. Looks like someone watched Deep Impact and thought, "How can we remake this so it doesn't look like a remake and makes my mate Gerard a bit of coin?"

Latest Threads