Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Just watched The Captain on Amazon. A black and white film in German with subtitles.

In the last weeks of the war a deserter finds an officer's uniform. Of course he tries it on and as he's modelling it, a soldier comes up, salutes and reports for duty. So he goes along with it and pretends to be an officer and things escalate from there. He gathers more deserters and orders them to join him on his mission to find looters and deserters and execute them. Of course everybody goes along with it because they don't want to admit they're deserters too. Things keep getting worse, war crimes and atrocities pile up. He kills 90 prisoners in a camp with a 20mm flak cannon. He then sends the SS guards away to find more criminals and while they're gone, he kills everyone in the camp.

I was watching this thinking it was a nice allegory about even innocent victims becoming corrupted by the evils of Nazism until the credits came up and my jaw hit the floor.

It's a true story. He was arrested by the Royal Navy in May 1945 and his crimes came to light.

Bloody hell!

Funnelweb

Swinger
Just watched The Captain on Amazon. A black and white film in German with subtitles.

In the last weeks of the war a deserter finds an officer's uniform. Of course he tries it on and as he's modelling it, a soldier comes up, salutes and reports for duty. So he goes along with it and pretends to be an officer and things escalate from there. He gathers more deserters and orders them to join him on his mission to find looters and deserters and execute them. Of course everybody goes along with it because they don't want to admit they're deserters too. Things keep getting worse, war crimes and atrocities pile up. He kills 90 prisoners in a camp with a 20mm flak cannon. He then sends the SS guards away to find more criminals and while they're gone, he kills everyone in the camp.

I was watching this thinking it was a nice allegory about even innocent victims becoming corrupted by the evils of Nazism until the credits came up and my jaw hit the floor.

It's a true story. He was arrested by the Royal Navy in May 1945 and his crimes came to light.

Bloody hell!
It blew me away that this was based on a true story. The madness surrounding him and the pack mentality. Crazy.

The Accountant of Auschwitz.

Very interesting. Some of the back stories in there also shed some new light on things. The guy that led the Einsatzgruppen prosecution at Nuremburg is now 98 - and sharp as a tack. Netflix.

slick

LE
I caught the 1978 film "Power Play" on Talking Pictures channel last night. I hadn`t seen it for quite a few years.
The film was also known as "Coup d`etat" and stars David Hemmings and Peter O Toole, it`s of its time, but it still holds the attention.
The story was based on Luttwaks 1968 book about how to overthrow a government. I believe it was a joint Anglo-Canadian venture, and some of the filming looks to have been done on the plains of Canada, and some in German towns. Lots of old school kit, Centurions, M113`s, and SLR`s.

Death Wish, no not the Charles Bronson one (I wish) but a remake with Bruce Willis made 2018. It was so good I was fast forwarding the DVD to get to something interesting. The politics is laid on with a trowel about how bad crime is in Chicago and how much better it is after a vigilante shoots a couple of baddies and the scenes in the gun shop are laughable. Seriously, the performances are phoned in and I suspect the actors did it for spending money. Watch if only nothing better and you like mindless violence.

NSP

LE
Sudden Death. A JCvD actioner from the '90s. He's a washed up fireman with a job at the local ice hockey arena as fire safety marshal. Thieving gits take it over and hold the VP and JCvDs daughter (not his real one!) hostage. JCvD does a good job of kicking the crap out of people and stuff in a quite entertaining way for an actioner of the era. Had to laugh at the Jet Ranger falling backwards into the arena with the very obvious 1m long rotor blades, though.

Seven roundhouses out of ten.

Last edited:
For me I though the Bourne Legacy was my favourite, Renner was excellent,as were Ed Norton and Rachel Weisz. I like Matt Damon's Bourne movies but that is the one I've enjoyed most.
Two favourite Bourne scenes are the Waterloo Station surveillance/assassination and the escape from the US Embassy in Paris.
The first was particularly of interest as when a Cussy many happy hours were spent on surveillance at the then Eurostar terminal.

I've just watched this:

I was uncertain at the start, but It grew on me. Beautifully filmed.

syrup

LE
An American Werewolf in London

The classic
Two Americans end on T' Yorkshire Moors after dark and ignore the warning to stay on the road.
They are attacked by a deranged Lunatic and one is killed.
The friend who has been killed visits his surviving mate in hospital to warn him hat he is now a werewolf.
Carnage ensues as our Colonial Canine chum runs riot in London

The bits you need to know on Arrse if you haven't seen it
Jenny Agattur gets her kit off
There's SLR's.
Also the best town centre crash sequence you'll see

There's SLR's.
And a pretty cool soundtrack

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard once that she has the same condition as Caster Semenya. There is definitely something odd about her which is hard to pinpoint.
I must admit to not knowing who this Caster is, is it safe to google:???:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
A film called 'Pawn Sacrifice' based on the true story behind USA Chess player Bobby Fischer and Russian Boris Spassky.

A sort of true version of 'Queens Gambit'

Fascinating watch, inside the minds of genius and madmen.

Tyk

LE
Watching The Day of the Jackal last night and spotted an attention to detail that I'd not noticed before.

Early on in the investigation it is reported that the concierge at the Pension Kleist describes the Jackal as "well groomed, fair hair, mid 30's"

When the Jackal crosses the border at Ventimiglia he is ordered inside the customs shed to have his luggage examined. In there are about a dozen other tourists having their luggage examined. All of them well groomed, fair hair, mid 30's

Proper film-making

Just watched that classic for the nth time. It's certainly high on my all time great films. Acting, script and above all the story are brilliant.

An American Werewolf in London

The classic
Two Americans end on T' Yorkshire Moors after dark and ignore the warning to stay on the road.
They are attacked by a deranged Lunatic and one is killed.
The friend who has been killed visits his surviving mate in hospital to warn him hat he is now a werewolf.
Carnage ensues as our Colonial Canine chum runs riot in London

There's SLR's.

That film made me think of tube stations in the same way I thought of the sea after watching Jaws.

Latest Threads