Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

I'm in the final cpl of chapters of a fantastic book about the great escape & the info on how the various disguises were made is explained inc the creation of the Luftwaffe uniform that one of the Czech lads wore. The 'tailors' were ingenious. German uniform disguises were called Goonskins.

Any chance of the name of the book?

The Colditz Story - yet again.
The bit when "Reid" and the other three walk out in German uniforms - did the prisoners really have the skills and materials available to them to create the fake uniforms, or was that a bit more artistic licence. Where did the jackboots come from?

All true. They even built a glider in the rafters to escape. Here's a documentary featuring a few of the former POW's who were involved in the escape attempts.

Certainly drags down Colditz Castle's reputation a bit.

Any chance of the name of the book?
Not a book, but there are a few documentaries on Youtube about the truth behind The Great Escape. Among other things, they talk about how new Allied RAF uniforms were sent to POW's in camps supposedly from the POW's family, but in reality from the Allied command. These uniforms after being washed of the blue colouring and slightly tailored were transformed into German uniforms quite easily.

Last edited:
According to his wikipedia page, Deserter (2002) is a film based on Simon Murray's book Legionnaire (1978 ). It looks like the film was released straight to DVD. I don't know how I'd never heard of it before till now. No description of the plot anywhere and I can't recall any story in the book about a desertion.

IMDB gives Murray a writing credit, and his character is played by Paul Fox. (Me neither.)

v1.bjsyMjI3NDk7ajsxODY3NzsxMjAwOzIwNDg7MTAyNA
Read legionnaire as a young lad, have now ordered a new copy ,will read again but this time i will be an old git. :oops:

Big thanks to everyone recommending "The Death Of Stalin". Just finished watching it and loved it.

I was laughing my arse off at the bit where Stalin was signalling for a glass of water and everyone starting spouting rhetoric because they thought he was pointing at the painting.

Last edited:

Scorcher68

Old-Salt
Big thanks to everyone recommending "The Death Of Stalin". Just finished watching it and loved it.

I was laughing my arse off at the bit where Stalin was signalling for a glass of water and everyone starting spouting rhetoric because they thought he was pointing at the painting.

Zhukov as a Yorkshireman really cracked me up .

Watching The Day of the Jackal last night and spotted an attention to detail that I'd not noticed before.

Early on in the investigation it is reported that the concierge at the Pension Kleist describes the Jackal as "well groomed, fair hair, mid 30's"

When the Jackal crosses the border at Ventimiglia he is ordered inside the customs shed to have his luggage examined. In there are about a dozen other tourists having their luggage examined. All of them well groomed, fair hair, mid 30's

Proper film-making

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watching Misery, ok it’s an old one but it a great story and Kathy Bates is excellent as the nurse looking after her favourite novelist who was badly injured in a car crash.
If you haven't watched it it’s on Netflix.

Awol

LE
I saw ‘Canopy’ tonight on Sony Movies Possibility of a great film, potentially tremendous subject matter and well filmed, but.....

..... my god it was dull.

WW2 pilot bales out into Japanese held jungle, then spends an hour and a half standing still and staring at nothing for minutes on end.

It was crowd-funded and probably cost about £6.50 to make. They tried too hard to make it arty, with interminable images of ‘jungle doing nothing’.

Practically nothing happened until the last ten minutes and then there was literally only 30 seconds of excitement.

A sad waste of a good subject.

NSP

LE
Just watching Misery, ok it’s an old one but it a great story and Kathy Bates is excellent as the nurse looking after her favourite novelist who was badly injured in a car crash.
If you haven't watched it it’s on Netflix.
The bit where she wields the sledgehammer still disturbs me - and that's having seen it only once, in 1991, and subsequently nearly quarter of a century of being afforded the oppotunity to see first-hand how certain third-worlders behave in their natural environment.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The bit where she wields the sledgehammer still disturbs me - and that's having seen it only once, in 1991, and subsequently nearly quarter of a century of being afforded the oppotunity to see first-hand how certain third-worlders behave in their natural environment.
I’ve broke my ankle twice, and I admit to looking away at that scene.
When I watch a football match if a player injures his ankle and they show the replay I have took away, something about ankle injuries that makes me cringe.

Go on have a watch, it’s good.

padme

War Hero
I tried Deadpool 2 for the 4th time, and again fell asleep right after his missus died, and woke up to the absolute diabolical dying scene. I won't watch it a 5th time.

21 Bridges (Prime). Two armed robbers plan on stealing a drug lord's coke stash in Manhattan but are interrupted by NPYD uniforms; 8 dead cops later the robbers make their getaway and the Detective By the Book is brought in to track them down and exact justice although he's not happy at having a narcotics 'tec dumped on him by the politicos. In order to prevent the robbers escaping the 21 bridges of the title joining Manhattan to the outside world are all closed. As time goes on Detective GB comes to realise that at least some of the dead uniforms were there to transport and distribute the coke, rather than to stop the robbery, and that there's a greater conspiracy at work. Every time he's closer to finding the perps he finds other cops beating him to it but they just want the missing coke back and the loose ends tidied up. In the end it seems he's the only honest cop in New York but he kills all the bent ones, including the narc who surprise surprise wasn't really there to help him after all, saves the day and goes home for tea and medals coffee and waffles.

Entertaining enough; 7 bagels out of 10, mainly for the gratuitous shooting.

slick

LE
According to his wikipedia page, Deserter (2002) is a film based on Simon Murray's book Legionnaire (1978 ). It looks like the film was released straight to DVD. I don't know how I'd never heard of it before till now. No description of the plot anywhere and I can't recall any story in the book about a desertion.

IMDB gives Murray a writing credit, and his character is played by Paul Fox. (Me neither.)

I can recall watching that back around 2014 I. Doesn`t Mr Murray appear in a cameo role ?

Has anyone come across this guy who seems to be the mong celebre of youtube film reviewers.

Neil Breen is either the Autism Welles of film making or a master troll.
His films are jaw droppingly bad, they make the Curry House adverts at the cinema look like The Godfather.

No way is this guy self aware, he can't be a troll.

TamH70

MIA
Has anyone come across this guy who seems to be the mong celebre of youtube film reviewers.

Neil Breen is either the Autism Welles of film making or a master troll.
His films are jaw droppingly bad, they make the Curry House adverts at the cinema look like The Godfather.

No way is this guy self aware, he can't be a troll.

Oh, Mike and Jay?

Yep, I used to be heavily into them - their evisceration of the Star Wars Prequels is legendary - but they like the Disney-era Star Wars films - which are unquestionably shite given the opinions of reviewers I trust, and they are heavily into BLM-adoration so **** 'em.

The guy who does this puppet review schtick is excellent.

Have a swatch at what he did to the new Disney rema... I mean, total ****-up of Mulan:

( And here's a link to his video on the Neil Breen shenanigans:

Smack Talk :Twisted Pair & The Breen Cinematic Universe - YouTube )

Murray did a documentary back in around 1989/90/91 where he went back to Corsica and spoke with, at that time, legionnaires.

Oh, Mike and Jay?

Yep, I used to be heavily into them - their evisceration of the Star Wars Prequels is legendary - but they like the Disney-era Star Wars films - which are unquestionably shite given the opinions of reviewers I trust, and they are heavily into BLM-adoration so **** 'em.

The guy who does this puppet review schtick is excellent.

Have a swatch at what he did to the new Disney rema... I mean, total ****-up of Mulan:

( And here's a link to his video on the Neil Breen shenanigans:

Smack Talk :Twisted Pair & The Breen Cinematic Universe - YouTube )
Didn't realise they were into BLM ?
I haven't watched them as much myself recently to be honest. Their eviceration of the prequels was a work or art and its what got me watching film stuff on YT.

The puppet guy Voxis Productions is a riot. I watched his Neil Breen video and its the first i'd ever heard of him.

I hope he does well out of this sudden recognition to be honest because he'll fall into obscurity again soon enough.

Latest Threads