Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Just watched "Churchill" with Brian Cox taking on the eponymous role.

I think he got Churchill down to a T but the writers seem to have had an 'agenda' in their writing. Painting Churchill as a doom sayer trying to get Overlord cancelled. Churchill was certainly a meddler and not shy in sticking in his oar but I don't think he would have been working to undermine Overlord quite as much as is shown.
That's not entirely inaccurate. Churchill got cold feet about Overlord and feared it would be either a slaughter on the beaches or would end up in a WW1 type stalemate.

There's a record in someone's diary (I think Alan Brooke, CIGS) that WSC proposed an alternative plan shortly before D-Day, an assault on the European 'soft underbelly' via Italy &/or South of France. The planning staff were diverted into investigating this alternative plan and presenting the findings to WSC. The General then told Churchill bluntly that he'd wasted everyone's time with his proposals, that they'd better things to do, that Overlord was the product of years of planning and preparation by the best strategists in the UK & US and the best thing he could do now would be to butt out and let them get on with their jobs (or words to that effect).

"When Churchill's many fanciful strategic ideas collided with sound military strategy it was only Brooke on the Chiefs of Staff Committee who was able to stand up to the Prime Minister. Churchill said about Brooke: "When I thump the table and push my face towards him what does he do? Thumps the table harder and glares back at me. I know these Brookes – stiff-necked Ulstermen and there's no one worse to deal with than that!". It has been claimed that part of Churchill's greatness was that he appointed Brooke as CIGS and kept him for the whole war".

Churchill had done similar things in WW1, his Dardanelles campaign was intended to sidestep the entrenched stalemate in Flanders and he'd had some role in financing the development of tanks/landships, whilst First Lord of the Admiralty. There was a Royal Navy infantry division in Flanders, so it wasn't completely outside his remit.

"...And the wonderful thing is that 3/4 of the population of the world imagine that Churchill is one of the Strategists of History, a second Marlborough, and the other 1/4 have no idea what a public menace he is and has been throughout this war! It is far better that the world should never know, and never suspect the feet of clay of this otherwise superhuman being. Without him England was lost for a certainty, with him England has been on the verge of disaster time and again.... Never have I admired and despised a man simultaneously to the same extent. Never have such opposite extremes been combined in the same human being."

Last edited:

DITA

MIA
Spenser Confidential on Netflix - I wanted to watch something that I could switch my thoughts off too, and this delivered. Mark Wahlberg, ex-copper released form jail goes on to investigate the murder of the corrupt Police captain he got sent inside for attacking. Figures out, with some (not so) subtle comedic elements.

Need For Speed - Car racing film about a street racer released form jail (there may be a running theme for mind melting films here), after a race he was involved in killed his mate. Races a Ford Mustang across america Smokey and the Bandit style, in order to get to a invite only race in which you can win all the other cars involved.

Both films were exactly what was needed; turn on, tune in, switch off.

Which, er, kinda happened anyway...
Indeed, but what Churchill had proposed was making one of those campaigns the main thrust into Germany, cancelling Overlord. I don't recall the details. It was daft, Brooke and his colleagues stamped on it.

Adolf had lots of stiff-necked Prussian strategists but wasn't (or wouldn't be) told to butt out.

Watched the first Bourne film the other day after a looooong time.

So, so good.

NSP

LE
Watched the first Bourne film the other day after a looooong time.

So, so good.
The bit where he's sleeping rough in the park and the two polizei give him a prod and tell him to move on is choice. At the end of the flurry of action all three are clearly like, "WTF did that come from?"

With added "ow" and "arrrgh" from the cops, obviously.

I might have to have a binge watch at the w/e, now. The Damon ones, anyway.

TamH70

MIA
The bit where he's sleeping rough in the park and the two polizei give him a prod and tell him to move on is choice. At the end of the flurry of action all three are clearly like, "WTF did that come from?"

With added "ow" and "arrrgh" from the cops, obviously.

I might have to have a binge watch at the w/e, now. The Damon ones, anyway.
Judging by the reviews I've seen online, you can skip the most recent Damon-starring one as it is supposed to be more pony than the Grand National at Aintree...

NSP

LE
Judging by the reviews I've seen online, you can skip the most recent Damon-starring one as it is supposed to be more pony than the Grand National at Aintree...
Yeah, but........ Alicia Vikander.

TamH70

MIA
Yeah, but........ Alicia Vikander.

If she's done a scene or two in the nuddy or semi-nuddy, I'm sure that there are sites out there on the Net thingy that will show you them without having to watch the rest of the film.

NSP

LE
If she's done a scene or two in the nuddy or semi-nuddy, I'm sure that there are sites out there on the Net thingy that will show you them without having to watch the rest of the film.
I've seen it already. And the Renner/Weisz one.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I've seen it already. And the Renner/Weisz one.
For me I though the Bourne Legacy was my favourite, Renner was excellent,as were Ed Norton and Rachel Weisz. I like Matt Damon's Bourne movies but that is the one I've enjoyed most.

The Colditz Story - yet again.
The bit when "Reid" and the other three walk out in German uniforms - did the prisoners really have the skills and materials available to them to create the fake uniforms, or was that a bit more artistic licence. Where did the jackboots come from?

The bit when "Reid" and the other three walk out in German uniforms - did the prisoners really have the skills and materials available to them to create the fake uniforms, or was that a bit more artistic licence. Where did the jackboots come from?

If you read Pat Reid's book, on which the film was based, the answer is 'yes'.

It's been many years since I read it but that event also stuck in my head as a WTF moment. The exact detail escapes me but several of the Dutch prisoners were officers from the former Dutch East Indies army, the colour of those uniforms being an almost exact match for feldgrau.

Boots, apparently, were sourced from the same Dutchmen though the hats were mostly made from cardboard!

They did. Visit Colditz, it’s all there, and well worth a visit.

MI9 had access.

TamH70

MIA
Just finished watching "The Devil Rides Out", probably the best of the Dennis Wheatley adaptations. Starring Sir Christopher Lee in one of his rare heroic lead roles as Le Duc De Richleau, and a very young Patrick Mower as his friend Simon, who gets Richleau into all sorts of bother when he becomes mixed up with a Satanic cult lead by Charles Gray as Mocata.

It is a fabulous film, being well-acted throughout, directed with aplomb by Terrence Fisher, and a quite good soundtrack done by James Bernard. No nudity, which is a rarity for Hammer films of that period, but I didn't miss it much.

Just finished watching "The Devil Rides Out", probably the best of the Dennis Wheatley adaptations. Starring Sir Christopher Lee in one of his rare heroic lead roles as Le Duc De Richleau, and a very young Patrick Mower as his friend Simon, who gets Richleau into all sorts of bother when he becomes mixed up with a Satanic cult lead by Charles Gray as Mocata.

It is a fabulous film, being well-acted throughout, directed with aplomb by Terrence Fisher, and a quite good soundtrack done by James Bernard. No nudity, which is a rarity for Hammer films of that period, but I didn't miss it much.
I really liked the Hammer films.

ches

LE

I'm in the final cpl of chapters of a fantastic book about the great escape & the info on how the various disguises were made is explained inc the creation of the Luftwaffe uniform that one of the Czech lads wore. The 'tailors' were ingenious. German uniform disguises were called Goonskins.

I'm in the final cpl of chapters of a fantastic book about the great escape & the info on how the various disguises were made is explained inc the creation of the Luftwaffe uniform that one of the Czech lads wore. The 'tailors' were ingenious. German uniform disguises were called Goonskins.
I don’t doubt the ingenuity of the prisoners. The clip I mentioned showed the uniforms in quite bright light and the details on their uniforms really stood out ( presumably for the film cameras to pick up the scene?)
I suppose during the actual event it was darker and the uniforms did not get close attention.

Latest Threads