Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Ignore my last request.

Am now hearing appalling dialogue from poorly costumed, miscast actors. Is that really the best Hollywood can do ?

Film deleted.

. . . . . .
As Sir Michael of Caine said re: ' Jaws - the balls-aching revenge'

' No I haven't seen the film - I'm told it's terrible.... I have seen the house I built with the money though !' :cool:
. . . . .
In a recent interview Oscar Isaacs was asked if he'd return to do another Star Wars film, after a few moments & with a big smile said:
" Yeah, if I need another house or something."

Agreed on the book, however as I said earlier I thought the need for too many stars each to have their "Private Ryan" moment was the main problem. It made the story too disjointed and was written in a very clunky fashion, and I could almost see the rider in the stars' contracts: "Must have realistic action sequence and at least three long, meaningful stares to the horizon". Added to the overly long "meaningful bollocks" passages (swimming in rivers and smelling flowers IIRC), taken as a whole the movie was too big and had too many disparate passages to follow with any sense of continuity.
Fair one. ;)

exspy

LE
Would that be Legionaire from Simon Murray,or is there another similar book?
Would be great to know if there is,i simply don't know.:)

According to his wikipedia page, Deserter (2002) is a film based on Simon Murray's book Legionnaire (1978 ). It looks like the film was released straight to DVD. I don't know how I'd never heard of it before till now. No description of the plot anywhere and I can't recall any story in the book about a desertion.

IMDB gives Murray a writing credit, and his character is played by Paul Fox. (Me neither.)

v1.bjsyMjI3NDk7ajsxODY3NzsxMjAwOzIwNDg7MTAyNA

Watching the Death of Stalin on BBC2. Hilarious. Jason Isaacs as General Zhukov is brilliant.
I've been trying to watch this for a while now. The problem is that every streaming services and movie rental place out in this neck of the woods has removed it from their catalogue for some reason.

Oh well, I have other ways and means of obtaining a copy.

I've been trying to watch this for a while now. The problem is that every streaming services and movie rental place out in this neck of the woods has removed it from their catalogue for some reason.

Be careful...........zey haz vays of makingz you talk

I downloaded a torrent from a well-known site that may or may not be illegal, absolutely no problem got it in five minutes.

Just watched this last night, absolutely cracking, can't recommend it highly enough. Isaacs' Zhukov is superb but I thought Steve Buscemi steals the show, as he usually does for me.
I know! Steve Buscemi was a scream as Nikita Khrushchev. I nearly pissed myself in laughing at how frustrated Buscemi got as Khrushchev when he was out maneuvered into seeing to the appointments of the State Funeral for Stalin and he had to blast the underling that was pestering him about the draperies around the catafalque.

Just watched "Churchill" with Brian Cox taking on the eponymous role.

I think he got Churchill down to a T but the writers seem to have had an 'agenda' in their writing. Painting Churchill as a doom sayer trying to get Overlord cancelled. Churchill was certainly a meddler and not shy in sticking in his oar but I don't think he would have been working to undermine Overlord quite as much as is shown.

Not so sure if Monty would have acted the way shown either. He was pissed off by Churchill but one bit shows him squaring up to WSC. Hmmmm.

Still an enjoyable enough film and as I say Cox nailed the part. Helped that he is of the same age as Churchill was in 1944 - 69 years old.
I have just watched this, albeit over two nights, and I agree with your comments.

The start of the film probably put me in the wrong frame of mind by showing this:

Untitled.jpg

Of course, it was not under 'Nazi' occupation, it was under 'German' occupation. But I watched on to see endless, repeated examples of military uniforms which were just wrong. I stored that thought away and at the end of the film checked to see who the military adviser was. There wasn't one.

As you say, someone had an agenda, which appears to be to depict that Churchill was demented and that Brooke, Smuts, Eisenhower, Montgomery and his wife Clemmie were flat out 'managing' him. That can't have been the case. I find it hard to believe that Churchill would not have been briefed on the planned operation earlier than the film showed.

To be fair, grudgingly, the film did conclude with this message:

Untitled.jpg

If that message had been up front I may have watched it in a different frame of mind.

Emtasol.

Chimp

ADC
"Denial" about the David Irving libel trial. Excellent film thoroughly recommended.

ches

LE
Watched 'Once' again the other night - banged in a DVD but its also on Prime too. Its a wee independent Irish film made in the mid late 00's on a shoestring budget. Stars the bass player from the Commitments, Glen Hansard, who wrote the soundtrack with his female co-star. Essentially its a vehicle for their songwriting even though neither had a hand in the fillums concept. They won the Oscar for best original song which is no small feat. Imo a worthy winner anyway as the original tunes are pretty good. Its a good sweet film but the musical interludes can be too long with whole songs being performed - I wouldn't be surprised if 25% of the screen time is performing.
It was filmed 'live' too, with long lenses & no permits on the streets of Dublin & that adds to the realism of the scenes esp an early scene where Hansard has to chase a tea leaf who robs his busker takings.

I know! Steve Buscemi was a scream as Nikita Khrushchev. I nearly pissed myself in laughing at how frustrated Buscemi got as Khrushchev when he was out maneuvered into seeing to the appointments of the State Funeral for Stalin and he had to blast the underling that was pestering him about the draperies around the catafalque.
The scene as they each arrive at the scene and have to negotiate the results of the Man of Steel's incontinence is hilarious, it just reminds us that no matter how mighty and all-powerful we may be in life, death leaves us with few dignities.