Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Really? I thought it was a bit too up itself, and burdened by too many stars wanting their own "Saving Private Ryan" moment. A shame as the book was pretty good.

it would be nice to see the uncut everything recorded version. If I can sit through dances with wolves directors cut then TRL deserves it

Really? I thought it was a bit too up itself, and burdened by too many stars wanting their own "Saving Private Ryan" moment. A shame as the book was pretty good.
Saw it at the cinema (remember them?) where a loud Scottish said ‘Fae fook sake, when’s it gonnae end?’ A sentiment I totally agreed with.
I reckon if I saw the sun shining artistically through the palm trees one more time I would have thrown up.
Afterwards I asked SWMBO ‘what did she think and did you know that the director only makes a film every 20 years?’ she replied, very ladylike, ‘Thank **** for that!’.
Apparently it was originally cut for 7 hours. Jeebus.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wasn't there a famous French film made in the 50's set in South America with almost the exact same plot?

'Wages of Fear' - female lead Mrs Clouzot (no wah)

A similar film came out in UK four years later with Stanley Baker as the lead trucker, chancing his arm against baddy Patrick McGoohan:

1610900875085.png

ETA

Damn - beaten to the punch by a Crab, yet again ! :cool:

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA

A similar film came out in UK four years later with Stanley Baker as the lead trucker, chancing his arm against baddy Patrick McGoohan:

View attachment 540235

That video auto-launched itself. I was wondering why my telly sounded like it was exploding for a second.

View attachment 540235

ETA

Damn - beaten to the punch by a Crab, yet again ! :cool:

I remember seeing "Hell Drivers". The most memorable bit was the ludicrously speeded-up film; rather than giving the impression that the drivers were going fast, it looked naff.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Critical Drinker trashed Wonder Woman 1984 as a piece of dog toffee with Woke credentials, so I think I'll give that one a miss.

That's a shame...I'm in it, innit.

( 5 nights shooting the Smithsonian Gala scene wasted then....rats.)

As Sir Michael of Caine said re: ' Jaws - the balls-aching revenge'

' No I haven't seen the film - I'm told it's terrible.... I have seen the house I built with the money though !' :cool:

In my defence Yer Honour - Gal Gadot's legs are a wonder to behold, close up :-D

' No I haven't seen the film - I'm told it's terrible.... I have seen the house I built with the money though !' :cool:
Who knew that Michael Caine was in a Jaws movie? I certainly did not. He's been a busy lad, our Michael, and there probably have been some stinkers he was in besides the Oscar Winner roles.
Teeth of the Sea.JPG

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That's a shame...I'm in it, innit.

( 5 nights shooting the Smithsonian Gala scene wasted then....rats.)

In my defence Yer Honour - Gal Gadot's legs are a wonder to behold, close up :-D
What, worse than killer bees? Unpossible!

Yes, Michael was in that one too. Maybe he needed the bucks to remodel his kitchen for the missus. Also appearing in this clunker were a bunch of fading A-listers that Irwin Allen could get cheap.
The Swarm.JPG

slick

LE
I did think the same when I watched TRL for the first time but it has grown on me. Both it and SPR were filmed and released within a couple months of each other, two different beasts really.
I accompanied some old Brit chaps to the cinema for a first viewing of SPR, and the general consensus was that whilst the film sets were good, there was too much swearing for the period, too much blood (even Richard Todd stated that the scenes were unrealistic), the scenes where rankers argued to that extent with an officer simply wouldn`t have happened, and the release of the German prisoner to walk off was ridiculous.
I did put those points to some U.S. veterans a couple of years later at a Portsmouth do, and the consensus was the same. :)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Mwah ha ha

Whenever anyone maunders on about some of our finest actors ( usually in an obit when they are safely unable to sick lawyers on yer ass) I am reminded that each and everyone of of them - from Connery to Burton to Gielgud - has some utter codswallop lurking in their back catalogue.

My Lords, may I offer as Exhibit A for the Prosecution

Zardoz :
In the very highest traditions of British cinema, a Turkey of the first order.

( Mindbleach is available for the unwary )

Just watched Airplane again still good for a laugh

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Mwah ha ha

Whenever anyone maunders on about some of our finest actors ( usually in an obit when they are safely unable to sick lawyers on yer ass) I am reminded that each and everyone of of them - from Connery to Burton to Gielgud - has some utter codswallop lurking in their back catalogue.

My Lords, may I offer as Exhibit A for the Prosecution

Zardoz :
In the very highest traditions of British cinema, a Turkey of the first order.

( Mindbleach is available for the unwary )
Ah the big flying heed and a Webley Fosberry automatic revolver, IIRC...

''The thin red line''I found the film very good,but the book was even better ,very intense gripping even.
Before they went in for an attack you could really feel the fear and tension very unusual for a book.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
''The thin red line''I found the film very good,but the book was even better ,very intense gripping even.
Before they went in for an attack you could really feel the fear and tension very unusual for a book.
Agreed on the book, however as I said earlier I thought the need for too many stars each to have their "Private Ryan" moment was the main problem. It made the story too disjointed and was written in a very clunky fashion, and I could almost see the rider in the stars' contracts: "Must have realistic action sequence and at least three long, meaningful stares to the horizon". Added to the overly long "meaningful bollocks" passages (swimming in rivers and smelling flowers IIRC), taken as a whole the movie was too big and had too many disparate passages to follow with any sense of continuity.

Watched All the President's Men this morning. Dealing in secrecy, heard and understood every word.

Started to watch The Thin Red Line this afternoon. Dealing in war, I could barely make out what they were talking about even after sticking the volume up. The the ads came on and by fcuk it was loud.

Is it worth continuing with TTRL ?

Last time I gave up on a film was 4 weddings within 2 minutes