Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Sputnik on Netflix. Sort of a Russian Alien (the original) but in 80’s Kazakhstan. Russian spaceship lands after something happens in space and a psychiatrist is tasked to carry out a psychological evaluation on the surviving cosmonaut to determine what happened.
Eventually find out that the cosmonaut has brought back an uninvited visitor.
Unoriginal plot and a slow burner but nothing more than an OK sci-fi horror film

Currently watching " Pork Chop Hill " on Paramount Network ... one of the better American films about the Korean War .
Interesting bit of trivia.

Lt. Ohashi is played by George Shibata, They were roommates at USMA West Point, class of 1951.

Ohashi went infantry

Shibata flew F-86s in the USAF before becoming an actor.

He also served a hitch post WW2 as a Paratrooper in the 82nd's 508PIR and did occupation duty in Germany before getting an appointment to USMA

400px-Ohashi_MkII.jpg

True Lies on Channel 4 23:20 hrs tonight just a heads up for the striptease by Jamie lee Curtis and for those that can't wait

Wonder Woman 1984. Plenty of totty, Kristen Wiig playing a clumsy, ditsy oaf as usual (at least to begin with) and a plot so shambolic it's untrue. Surely some right-thinking person of conscience would have merely said, "I wish none of this was happening or had happened," when chaos ensues. A major combat indicator that it was going to be shoite was when they got into a side-by-side seater Tornado and a pilot who last flew something no more complicated than a Sopwith Camel manages to start it, taxi it, take off in it and fly it from the US to Cairo without a refuel. Whilst hot chick makes it invisible.
The Critical Drinker trashed Wonder Woman 1984 as a piece of dog toffee with Woke credentials, so I think I'll give that one a miss.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
True Lies on Channel 4 23:20 hrs tonight just a heads up for the striptease by Jamie lee Curtis and for those that can't wait
From the neck up she looked a lot like a young David Bowie.
A very strange looking lady is Jamie.

It was allegorical, innit, portraying the futility of violence, especially at the hands of Fascistic Zionist Stormtroopers retrieving their detained bourgeois citizens from the care of freedom fighters... It was also dull as dishwater, and served mainly to prevent any build up of tension, pace or continuity in the movie. Quite why the director, and quite a few critics, thought this was a good thing, I am at a loss to explain.
I had always thought the 'Dance' sequence was meant as an artistic interpretation of the raid, the girl with the role of falling down representing the soldier who was killed (Netanyahu's brother I believe) and she was, as already noted, playing his girlfriend in the movie. I also thought it added to the sense of tension somewhat. There again I have a severe disability that makes my interpretation about such things depend exclusively on vision and had untreated cateract problems when I saw the movie.

That's been my suspicion for years, port is similar to sherry, who the **** necks sherry apart from little old ladies and gays? There is always one bloke at the end of a mess dinner walking around with a decanter for the rest of the night. Definitely a sign he's light in the loafers
My darling wife (she is a girl) often enjoys a small sherry before dinner. However your colourful overview of the intricies of the tipple (sweet opaque mahogany is - ETA 'was' - my preference) has caused my bum cheeks to clamp firmly tight at the mere mention of the stuff. The effect on my marriage has been thus:

"Fancy a sherry darling?" ..........Feck off you lezzie git!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I had always thought the 'Dance' sequence was meant as an artistic interpretation of the raid, the girl with the role of falling down representing the soldier who was killed (Netanyahu's brother I believe) and she was, as already noted, playing his girlfriend in the movie. I also thought it added to the sense of tension somewhat. There again I have a severe disability that makes my interpretation about such things depend exclusively on vision and had untreated cateract problems when I saw the movie.
You need to watch it again. The appalling way the movie was made meant there was no tension as far as I was concerned. It was a dull, repetitive and unengaging film where the director appeared to have a problem with portraying the Israelis as heroes, which was a real problem considering the other main protagonists were ex Baader - Meinhof terrorists and Idi Amin. Even the vignette of the pilot fixing the plumbing was poorly executed, with no emotion apparent in any of the characters. The Israeli political discussions were basically the same characters saying the same things on a loop, with Sharon picked out as the most obvious villain of the whole story (which also includes Idi Amin and actual terrorists, ffs!).

It is an awful movie which takes a real life drama of epic proportions and screws it into something requiring interpretive dance to up the tension. When a director needs to put clips of hoofers into the climactic scene of a commando raid to free hostages to "add to the sense of tension", it's time for that director to be taken out into the desert and shot.

Nah, the next shark interaction is in Sharknado, when the Great White leaps out of the ocean and brings down a passenger jet.
Is that the one where the hero leaps out of a helicopter, with a chainsaw, into the mouth of a passing shark then, upon landing, saws his way out?

<thread>
Just watched “The Meg”.
summary: what a hungry shark.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Caught the "Thin Red Line" from 1998 last night. I haven`t seen it for about 15 years and forgotten how good it was.
Really? I thought it was a bit too up itself, and burdened by too many stars wanting their own "Saving Private Ryan" moment. A shame as the book was pretty good.

Latest Threads