Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

As previously noted the rear of the plane was rest area with bunks. The front and rear compartments were joined by a pressurised tunnel.

View attachment 539710

With a "railway" connecting it to the front compartment. As a child, I can remember being shown a B36 flying overhead and being told there was a railway on board ......

OK, it was a rather simpler system than a "railway". and was powered by the individual using it. But was the "railway" pressurised as well?

ETA: Sorry, missed the last post.........or is that an invitation for more comment? :)

El San or the spam equivalent. They had bunks and a galley IIRC, so a crapper must have been installed.
b36cutaway1.jpg

Blithe Sprit on Netflix. Enjoyable re-make though ending a tad feminist.

Strategic Air Command, starring James Stewart in a role that wasn't too different from what he was up to at the time, with June Allyson as his gorgeous - and really quite nice in personality as well - wife, who has to deal with the consequences of him being called back up to serve in the titular USAF organization when he's at training camp with his professional baseball team. Among them having to deal with having her first child alone when he's off nearly freezing his ballocks off near Thule Airforce Base in Greenland after a fix for the B36 fuel leak problems fails in a catastrophic fashion...

Bit of serendipity as I'd just turned on the telly, hit Film Four and there it was.

Strategic Air Command (film) - Wikipedia
Another SAC treat is Bombers B-52 (1957) starring Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Natalie Wood, and Karl Malden.

U.S Air Force Sgt. Chuck Brennan (Maldin) always disliked playboy and hotshot, Col. Jim Herlihy.(Zimbalist, Jr.) He first met him in Korea, where his emergency arrival for repairs while enroute for what Chuck thought was the colonel's "hot date" in Tokyo, caused the death of several of his crewmen. Now several years later when Chuck, while still in the Air Force, is now weighing continued enlistment or retirement, the base's new C.O. is none other than Col. Herlihy. Compounding his dislike is a budding romance with Chuck's daughter, Lois. (Wood)

Bombers B-52 -2.JPG

Currently watching " Pork Chop Hill " on Paramount Network ... one of the better American films about the Korean War .

ABNredleg

War Hero
As previously noted the rear of the plane was rest area with bunks. The front and rear compartments were joined by a pressurised tunnel.

View attachment 539710
The bunks and galley were removed during the Featherweight II and III upgrade programs in an effort to improve performance, which must have been great for morale.

Last edited:
Quiet day so double bill of Gangster squad & saving private Ryan

Both films have Thompsons mp 40s and stick grenades, also a cameo by a stern ppsh41? and a Lewis gun in the LA noir film.

SPR is still as good as it came out

Violent Road (1958 ) is the precursor of Highway to Hell & Ice Road Truckers, if you're into that sort of thing, i.e. trucks being driven in extreme conditions by happy-go-lucky knights of the road. Stars Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as George Lawrence, the Cyclone Rocket company scientist in charge of the convoy moving dangerous cargo to the new location over unimproved roads, and Brian Keith, as Mitch Barton, the trucking company's boss.

The Cyclone Rocket Company is a military contractor building missiles for the U.S. Air Force. The company also produces the highly volatile rocket fuel used in the missiles. During a test, a missile explodes. For safety reasons, the government decides to move the company from its current location, near an army base and small town, to a new remote location. However, the plant's dangerous chemicals must be moved by truck to the new location via secondary unpaved roads bypassing all inhabited areas, towns and communities. Moreover, the move must be completed fast and the plant must be operational in three days, in order to maintain its government contract. Three trucks are selected to transport the dangerous rocket fuels. Short on drivers for such a dangerous assignment, the company hires a motley crew of desperate men to drive the trucks through rough terrain to the new location. Each truck has a driver and a helper. Each man is promised five thousand dollars as payment upon delivery...

Violent Road.JPG

I read that as suggesting only gay men drink port

That's been my suspicion for years, port is similar to sherry, who the **** necks sherry apart from little old ladies and gays? There is always one bloke at the end of a mess dinner walking around with a decanter for the rest of the night. Definitely a sign he's light in the loafers

Last edited:
The LHG and I only recently got a newfangled internet enabled telly on which you can stream what you want from various providers, we got it mainly to plonk the little terror in front of when we need a bit of peace and quiet.

One evening not long ago, we decided it would be nice to watch a movie together. We scrolled through lots of shoite we weren't interested in or couldn't agree on, then a film called "Green Book" caught our attention. Not being real movie buffs (at least not in recent years) we hadn't heard of it before.

Wow! Brilliant. Great story and excellent acting and the odd bit of great humour.

TamH70

MIA
Managed to catch the last half-hour or so of ¡Three Amigos!, with Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short in a comedy Western set south of the border down Mexico way. Think The Magnificent Seven minus four, and some really fabulous costumes, dahlink.

I found it funny, the three leads worked well with each other, and has some tense bits amid the humour.

Wikipedia page here:

Three Amigos - Wikipedia

That's been my suspicion for years, port is similar to sherry, who the **** necks sherry apart from little old ladies and gays? There is always one bloke at the end of a mess dinner walking around with a decanter for the rest of the night. Definitely a sign he's light in the loafers

Stock briefing prior to the first function by the Basic Wing WO at BUOTC (while I was there) included the line:

"Now some of you may be thinking that sherry is an old ladies drink...."

exspy

LE
Violent Road (1958 ) is the precursor of Highway to Hell & Ice Road Truckers, if you're into that sort of thing, i.e. trucks being driven in extreme conditions by happy-go-lucky knights of the road. However, the plant's dangerous chemicals must be moved by truck to the new location via secondary unpaved roads bypassing all inhabited areas, towns and communities. Three trucks are selected to transport the dangerous rocket fuels. Short on drivers for such a dangerous assignment, the company hires a motley crew of desperate men to drive the trucks through rough terrain to the new location.
Wasn't there a famous French film made in the 50's set in South America with almost the exact same plot?

NSP

LE
Wonder Woman 1984. Plenty of totty, Kristen Wiig playing a clumsy, ditsy oaf as usual (at least to begin with) and a plot so shambolic it's untrue. Surely some right-thinking person of conscience would have merely said, "I wish none of this was happening or had happened," when chaos ensues. A major combat indicator that it was going to be shoite was when they got into a side-by-side seater Tornado and a pilot who last flew something no more complicated than a Sopwith Camel manages to start it, taxi it, take off in it and fly it from the US to Cairo without a refuel. Whilst hot chick makes it invisible.

Wasn't there a famous French film made in the 50's set in South America with almost the exact same plot?
The Wages of Fear ISTR.

ETA Yep

ETA 2

Frim Wiki.

Remakes​

Violent Road (aka Hell's Highway), directed by Howard W. Koch in 1958, and Sorcerer, directed by William Friedkin in 1977, are American remakes. The first is not credited as such. The second was described by the director as an adaptation of the original novel.[23]

See also​

The Goon Show episode "The Fear of Wages" was inspired by the 1953 film.[citation needed]

Reading @Ruckerwocmans review reminded me to watch the French version of 'Wages of Fear' with Yves Montand again - I remember it being the best version.
Transporting nitroglycerin through a S. American jungle IIRC with a nail biting river crossing.

Latest Threads