Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

I think the State Police Sergeant in the second picture is James Whitmore who played Brookes (the old con who runs the library cart) in The Shawshank Redemption.
Yes it is he. Them! has been a favorite Sci-fi feature of mine for years and I have several copies of it on a variety of media platforms (VHS, DVD, Internet Steam)

James Whitmore.jpg

'Exposed' with Keanu Reeves and Ana de Armas on Amazon Prime. Also called 'Daughter of God'.
KR is NYPD detective whose partner is murdered in a subway station. AdA is the super-religious Catholic teacher wife of a US squaddy, who's in Iraq, and she has what appears to be a visitation from an angel in the same subway station. She has subsequent visitations from other 'angels' and when she discovers she's pregnant is quick to shout "miracle!" whilst everyone assumes she's shagged someone else as her husband's been deployed for 12mths. Husband then gets KIA and she's booted out by his family, returning to live with her parents. As her life spirals downwards she grows to suspect child abuse by the father of a small girl (Elisa) in her class and eventually takes her in.
KR has two suspects for his partner's murder; AdA's brother-in-law and a local Harlem gangster both of whom had previous beef with the dead cop. As his investigation continues he comforts his partner's grieving widow by letting her screw him, the gangster cleans up several 'loose ends' and the bro-in-law hides.
KR's partner is eventually revealed as a dirty cop who's raped suspects in the past and KR is leaned on to drop the murder investigation to keep NYPD squeaky-clean. It all comes to a head when the bro-in-law kills the gangster and AdA kills her father; it's shown that she was not only abused as a child (the small child Elisa being a figment of her imagination) but that she was raped in the subway by the now-dead cop, hence the pregnancy, before she killed him. Her psyche conjured up the 'angels' as a defence mechanism.
1hr 50mins of f*cking garbage, basically. Wish I'd seen the 6% Rotten Tomatoes review score before I sat down.
Only made bearable by Ana de Armas who has great legs and a face I'd never get tired of covering in spunk.

2/10 and not recommended in any way shape or form.

Now on TalkingPictures .... " The Conquest of Everest " 1953 ... in colour and a class documentary film ... as a young man I saw it at the Cinema ... I remember being so amazed as to how clear the air and skies were ... and sunburn in the snow / ice ? ... now I know how .

Last edited:
'Exposed' with Keanu Reeves and Ana de Armas on Amazon Prime. Also called 'Daughter of God'.
KR is NYPD detective whose partner is murdered in a subway station. AdA is the super-religious Catholic teacher wife of a US squaddy, who's in Iraq, and she has what appears to be a visitation from an angel in the same subway station. She has subsequent visitations from other 'angels' and when she discovers she's pregnant is quick to shout "miracle!" whilst everyone assumes she's shagged someone else as her husband's been deployed for 12mths. Husband then gets KIA and she's booted out by his family, returning to live with her parents. As her life spirals downwards she grows to suspect child abuse by the father of a small girl (Elisa) in her class and eventually takes her in.
KR has two suspects for his partner's murder; AdA's brother-in-law and a local Harlem gangster both of whom had previous beef with the dead cop. As his investigation continues he comforts his partner's grieving widow by letting her screw him, the gangster cleans up several 'loose ends' and the bro-in-law hides.
KR's partner is eventually revealed as a dirty cop who's raped suspects in the past and KR is leaned on to drop the murder investigation to keep NYPD squeaky-clean. It all comes to a head when the bro-in-law kills the gangster and AdA kills her father; it's shown that she was not only abused as a child (the small child Elisa being a figment of her imagination) but that she was raped in the subway by the now-dead cop, hence the pregnancy, before she killed him. Her psyche conjured up the 'angels' as a defence mechanism.
1hr 50mins of f*cking garbage, basically. Wish I'd seen the 6% Rotten Tomatoes review score before I sat down.
Only made bearable by Ana de Armas who has great legs and a face I'd never get tired of covering in spunk.

2/10 and not recommended in any way shape or form.
The lady is indeed worth splaffing onto, she kept Ryan Gosling dreamy in blade runner sequal

Balloon, on BBC iPlayer for the next 9 or 10 months. In German. An insight into the deranged concentration camp that was the DDR.

Rebecca (on Netflix) recommended earlier, excellent.

ches

LE
Followed by the remainder of
In the Heat of the Night.

Spoiled with classics tonight.

Didn't know it was on the other night, channel hopping & its a few mins into the 'they call me Mr Tibbs' scene. That was me done for the evening. Remote down, feet up for a while. Bloody good. stuff.

TamH70

MIA
Strategic Air Command, starring James Stewart in a role that wasn't too different from what he was up to at the time, with June Allyson as his gorgeous - and really quite nice in personality as well - wife, who has to deal with the consequences of him being called back up to serve in the titular USAF organization when he's at training camp with his professional baseball team. Among them having to deal with having her first child alone when he's off nearly freezing his ballocks off near Thule Airforce Base in Greenland after a fix for the B36 fuel leak problems fails in a catastrophic fashion...

Bit of serendipity as I'd just turned on the telly, hit Film Four and there it was.

Strategic Air Command (film) - Wikipedia

Watched Ghosts of war on Netflix.
I’d score it 5/10
A group of WW2 US soldiers have to guard a chateau which turns out to be haunted.
Bad points; strange uniform insignia layout and a No4 Enfield amongst the equipment load (Ok I’m an anorak) Poor editing and continuity in some scenes, such as scars and bruises on the characters which mysteriously vanish and reappear.
Good points, it actually works as a ghost story and has an imaginative twist at the end.

Slime

LE
Strategic Air Command, starring James Stewart in a role that wasn't too different from what he was up to at the time, with June Allyson as his gorgeous - and really quite nice in personality as well - wife, who has to deal with the consequences of him being called back up to serve in the titular USAF organization when he's at training camp with his professional baseball team. Among them having to deal with having her first child alone when he's off nearly freezing his ballocks off near Thule Airforce Base in Greenland after a fix for the B36 fuel leak problems fails in a catastrophic fashion...

Bit of serendipity as I'd just turned on the telly, hit Film Four and there it was.

The film has remained very popular for decades, and until recently it has been fairly expensive on DVD etc.
In the last few months I swapped my old VHS copy for a DVD.
The film is now in full on Youtube which has had the effect of cutting the DVD price.
I bought the DVD so I can play it in my car.

I've been toying with renting it on Prime as I'm especially fond of Inception. Its also good to see Robert Pattinson has washed the stink of those awful vampire films off him and is getting to show his credentials as an actor. He was pretty good on The King too.
Good for him.

I may give it a go one night.
And last night I did.

It was disappointing to say the least.
The protagonist is Denzel Washington's son which surprised me as I haven't seen him in anything before. He doesn't resemble him but has a very similar voice.

I've since watched The Critical Drinker's appraisal on YT and I've yet to find a film critique I agree more with.

Its a film you have to watch more than once to fully appreciate but I've no intention of actually doing so. I wasn't even musing over it after it had finished.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

A wonderful movie, mainly a PR puff piece for the relatively new USAF, but graced by the presence of greatness in the form of Jimmy Stewart. Along with all those silver behemoths...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched Outside the Wire on Netflix, a military sci-fi crossover with a sentient AI combat robot and a drone pilot charging around wartorn Ukraine in 2036. Alright for big explosions and CGI sequences, standard anti West message was a little grating.

A wonderful movie, mainly a PR puff piece for the relatively new USAF, but graced by the presence of greatness in the form of Jimmy Stewart. Along with all those silver behemoths...
When I first saw that film my first thought was how do they go to the toilet on those B-36 missions? Never explained in the movie.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
When I first saw that film my first thought was how do they go to the toilet on those B-36 missions? Never explained in the movie.
El San or the spam equivalent. They had bunks and a galley IIRC, so a crapper must have been installed.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Kids needed a laugh, I wanted a laugh, Mrs needed a, well I won’t go into that however if you are in need of a laugh then do as I did, last night Johnny English, tonight was the second film, “it’s the cleaner” and tomorrow I dare say we will watch the third film.
Rowan Atkinson is a very very funny actor, great fun. On Netflix.

As previously noted the rear of the plane was rest area with bunks. The front and rear compartments were joined by a pressurised tunnel.

B-36FIIIaft.gif

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
As previously noted the rear of the plane was rest area with bunks. The front and rear compartments were joined by a pressurised tunnel.

View attachment 539710
That looks like the el san, next to the act cabin entrance hatch...

Latest Threads