Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Moody black and white art house flick “The Lighthouse“ with Willem Defoe and Robert Pattison.

Late 19th century, two lighthouse keepers get stranded by a storm. They run out of food, but not booze and lose the plot.

What follows is an hour and 45 mins of hallucinations, masturbation, mermaid *******, fighting, homoerotic subtext and weird 19th century sailor accents.

A very strange, but not entirely unenjoyable film. Utterly stunning cinematography and strong performances by both actors, but not a lot of storyline.
Hmm, reading that I think I’ll give it a miss.

Sounds like it’s more suited to those Navel types;)

@Alec_Lomas @lokiuk @Murphy_Slaw

" The Death of Stalin " DVD received today .... another ARRSE inspired purchase ... I shall be watching and doubtless thoroughly enjoying it tonight ... with a glass or two .

ETA .... Well now watched ... for the first time ... and this excellent film will require viewing again several times to capture all the moments of black comedy ... a classic example to me of " Truth being stranger than fiction or even black comedy " ... my favourite character portrayal and associated choice of actor is that of Zhukov ... and what an entrance . I know Zhukov was a very successful Russian General but not a favourite of Stalin who saw him as a threat and after WW2 was thus side lined by him ... I believe the dramatic appearance of Zhukov on a " White Charger " to inspect this massive and impressive 1945 Moscow Victory Parade although planned may not have helped their relationship ... at ~3:20 .... and just listen to that " Russian Roar " ...

You also have to realise that the horse Zhukov rode had thrown Stalin a fortnight before the parade.

You also have to realise that the horse Zhukov rode had thrown Stalin a fortnight before the parade.
Astonished that the horse survived the incident .

sunny james

War Hero
"Murder on the Orient Express" - the Ken Branagh one.
Truly dreadful. Appaling acting from most of the characters, Depp could have phoned in his effort. Dreadful dialogue. Pointless red herrings, but strong female characters (box ticked) a black Doctor in 1930's London ? (box ticked) train stuck in avalanche that would have knocked it off the trestle bridge it was on and subsequently dug out and put back on the tracks by some blokes with shovels.
And the final insult - the "world's greatest detective" finds the killer/s and walks away from the crime and lies to the local police.
Don't trouble your little grey cells with it.
We watched Minder on the Orient Express the other night. A feature length from the Minder series with George Cole et al. Very funny, part of series 6 which fell off the back of the internet.

Looked George up on Wikipedia, he was mentored by Alastair Sim who took him and his mum into the Sim household. I keep seeing shades of Sim in Coles, e.g. the sidelong glances.

I just checked, Minder on the Orient Express is on YouTube.

We watched Minder on the Orient Express the other night. A feature length from the Minder series with George Cole et al. Very funny, part of series 6 which fell off the back of the internet.

Looked George up on Wikipedia, he was mentored by Alastair Sim who took him and his mum into the Sim household. I keep seeing shades of Sim in Coles, e.g. the sidelong glances.

Thanks for that .... I too thought of the " Minder " interpretation after the @vvaannmmaann Post .... did not realise it was on You Tube ... it really does knock into a cocked hat the general quality of modern day programmes ... and that is my viewing sorted out for tonight .... IIRC Chisholm dines well .

Last edited:
Last week, I watched two of the five "Jason Bourne" series of films . . .

"The Bourne Ultimatum is a 2007 American action-thriller film directed by Paul Greengrass loosely based on the 1990 novel of the same name by Robert Ludlum.[4] The screenplay was written by Tony Gilroy, Scott Z. Burns and George Nolfi and based on a screen story of the novel by Gilroy. The Bourne Ultimatum is the third installment in the Jason Bourne film series".

and then (out of sequence/going backwards, to the first) . . .

"The Bourne Identity is a 2002 American action-thriller film based on Robert Ludlum's 1980 novel of the same name. It stars Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, a man suffering from psychogenic amnesia and attempting to discover his true identity amidst a clandestine conspiracy within the CIA. The film also features Franka Potente, Chris Cooper, Clive Owen, Julia Stiles, Brian Cox, Walton Goggins, and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. The first installment in the Jason Bourne film series, it was followed by The Bourne Supremacy (2004), The Bourne Ultimatum (2007), The Bourne Legacy (2012), and Jason Bourne (2016)".

Last night, I caught the last/fifth of the series . . .

"Jason Bourne is a 2016 American action-thriller film directed by Paul Greengrass and written by Greengrass and Christopher Rouse. It is the fifth installment of the Bourne film series and a direct sequel to The Bourne Ultimatum (2007). Matt Damon reprises his role as the main character, former CIA assassin Jason Bourne. In addition, the film stars Tommy Lee Jones, Alicia Vikander, Julia Stiles, Vincent Cassel, Riz Ahmed, Ato Essandoh and Scott Shepherd".

The continuing sinister - yet plausible - plot throughout the whole series, is sufficiently intriguing, to have held my interest and attention now, for six hours!!

Less plausible, is the jumping from the top of one tall building to the top of the next tall building; the jumping out of a window many stories high, across the street, and feet-first through a closed window in the adjacent building; the improbable length of time he is able to hold his breath/survive under water; the high speed car chases, usually against the flow of the traffic; the most excellent, faultless, marksmanship with a 9mm, although he frequently/usually prefers to just knock-them-out, to shooting the opposition; the deliberate use of a self-imposed, deliberate, devastating RTA - and survival from - to defeat/escape from the opposition . . . .

All good fun . . . Its NOT real . . . is it . . . ?! ;) .

What was an additional attraction/interest last night, was the cast inclusion of the delightful Swedish actress Alicia Amanda Vikander (born 3 October 1988 ).

alicia-vikander-bio-net-worth-facts.jpg

+ + + + + + + + + +

During the adverts last night, I was zapping over to find something I have (also) seen within the last few months . . . .

Sniper: Lagacy. After military leaders are assassinated, Brandon Beckett (Chad Michael Collins), receives word that his father, Thomas Beckett (Tom Berenger), was among the assassinated. Attempting to track down David Simpson (Doug Allen), the assassin, a renegade 75th Ranger Regiment sniper, Brandon finds out that his father isn't dead and realizes that he is being used as bait.

What was an additional attraction/interest in last night's "alternative" film, Sniper: Legacy, was the cast inclusion of the delightful Swedish actress Mercedes Mason (born 1982/1983 ?).

1607007453235.png
1607007469259.png

+ + + + + + + + + +

And there was me, thinking Sweden only produced blue-eyed blondes !! ;) .

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

George Cole: The World Was My Lobster: Amazon.co.uk: George Cole, Brian Hawkins: 9781782199939: Books

Very worth reading. Such a modest and funny man.

And of course Cole played flash harry in some St Trinnians films while Sim starred alongside as the headmistress.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just watched The Gentlemen. Very good film. Not great, it is after all a shoot-em-up drug lord movie set in London.

Mathew McConaughey as the big cheese in the drug world with various gangs trying to take it from him.

Hugh Grant plays probably his best role to date as a sleazy investigative reporter trying to blackmail all and sundry and the film is his telling of his story, which doesn't always go to plan :)

Directed by Guy Ritchie.

Lots of dark humour, lots of blood and casual violence. Well worth a couple of hours.

Right now re watching "An Ungentlemanly act" 1992
Royal Marines defend Government House from Argentine invaders during the events that triggered the Falklands War.

Bob Peck as Maj Mike Norman OC NP8901
Ian Richardson, Ian Mcneice

Some technical flaws with the FV432's filling in as argie LVTP-7's

other than that enjoyable movie

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
'The Martian' with Matt Damon - Space Pirate.

For people who like a bit of real-ish space opera.

'The Martian' with Matt Damon - Space Pirate.

For people who like a bit of real-ish space opera.
Excellent but I wish they had kept the book ending.

Latest Threads