Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

syrup

LE
On the WW2 MN theme you may find the linky below and the film within of interest ... MN Seamen were hard ... they had to be ... but could show compassion as they did to the two young girls after their Ship had been torpedoed and they ended up in an open boat in the Atlantic Ocean ... bit of a harrowing saga ...

Worth remembering in the M.N their wages were stopped the minute the ship sank

My father told me that many years ago ... they were classed as DBS ... Distressed British Seamen .

Moody black and white art house flick “The Lighthouse“ with Willem Defoe and Robert Pattison.

Late 19th century, two lighthouse keepers get stranded by a storm. They run out of food, but not booze and lose the plot.

What follows is an hour and 45 mins of hallucinations, masturbation, mermaid *******, fighting, homoerotic subtext and weird 19th century sailor accents.

A very strange, but not entirely unenjoyable film. Utterly stunning cinematography and strong performances by both actors, but not a lot of storyline.
Similar story to "Cold Skin"?
Remote Arctic island, deranged human characters, drunken rambling, sex with a weird creature, other weird creatures attacking the men...

FHA

LE

My grandfather had to stay in a boarding house and get a job Stateside landside while his ship was being patched up apparently.
Died two decades later, still in his forties. My mum said it took it’s toll on him.

ches

LE
The more recent version of A Star is Born. Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga. Both superb performances & no wonder nominations were given. Bloody good film & worth a watch.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As I recall, the book's RN training ship - an elderly cruiser - became a US Navy cruiser in the film. Probably done with an eye to the film's potential American market.
Yep, with an Admiral played by Lloyd Nolan. Still pretty much the same story - the revolution etc on some island etc, but the nod to the good ol' USA was certainly present.

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I think it's worth watching. It's a fascinating description of a Marine's service in Vietnam by a down to earth farm boy from Illinois. His descriptive terms are hilarious and sad at the same time.
Really enjoyed that Carbon 6, many thanks.

I've just watched this on Netflix:

Not bad, shot in Morocco, plenty of suspense.

LARD

LE

I agree with @Stovepipe. Enjoyed it. Mind you the Major's proclivity for tidying up was a bit of a give away don't you think?

"Murder on the Orient Express" - the Ken Branagh one.
Truly dreadful. Appaling acting from most of the characters, Depp could have phoned in his effort. Dreadful dialogue. Pointless red herrings, but strong female characters (box ticked) a black Doctor in 1930's London ? (box ticked) train stuck in avalanche that would have knocked it off the trestle bridge it was on and subsequently dug out and put back on the tracks by some blokes with shovels.
And the final insult - the "world's greatest detective" finds the killer/s and walks away from the crime and lies to the local police.
Don't trouble your little grey cells with it.

It's nicely filmed and the urban combat sequences ring true. A badly chucked grenade bouncing back and an 'own goal' when one of the cops runs through his mate's arc.

"Murder on the Orient Express" - the Ken Branagh one.
Truly dreadful. Appaling acting from most of the characters, Depp could have phoned in his effort. Dreadful dialogue. Pointless red herrings, but strong female characters (box ticked) a black Doctor in 1930's London ? (box ticked) train stuck in avalanche that would have knocked it off the trestle bridge it was on and subsequently dug out and put back on the tracks by some blokes with shovels.
And the final insult - the "world's greatest detective" finds the killer/s and walks away from the crime and lies to the local police.
Don't trouble your little grey cells with it.
Most of it was shot in Surrey near the old MVEE test tracks.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched the recent Bruce Willis version of Death Wish last night; no way near as awful as I was expecting. True, Bruce seemed to be dialling in his performance from the poolside some of the time, but it was actually not a bad film. Some goodies got slotted, ALL the baddies got slotted gratuitously, a bit of light torture thrown in for good measure, and it's my new favourite "wholesome family movie night" recommendation. Special mention for the tactical furniture....

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Very recently watched 'The Foreigner' and thought it an awfully good film. Jackie Chan was very good and played much against type as a bereaved father. I thought that Gerry Adams - sorry, Pierce Brosnan - played well as a totally anonymous and completely unrecognizable former non-member of the IRA now totally converted to the pursuit of peace and goodwill as a member of the government. So good that one could not possibly connect his performance to any person living or dead that may have - or have not - been involved in acts of terrorism.

Very recently watched 'The Foreigner' and thought it an awfully good film. Jackie Chan was very good and played much against type as a bereaved father. I thought that Gerry Adams - sorry, Pierce Brosnan - played well as a totally anonymous and completely unrecognizable former non-member of the IRA now totally converted to the pursuit of peace and goodwill as a member of the government. So good that one could not possibly connect his performance to any person living or dead that may have - or have not - been involved in acts of terrorism.
Jackie had a similar part in the Karate Kid movie (the one with Will Smith’s son) as a bereaved husband and played it very well.

Brosnan is very good at playing pretend total ******* that are 99.9999999999999999999999% based on a real ******.

Brosnan is very good at playing pretend total ******* that are 99.9999999999999999999999% based on a real ******.

Quite liked that movie and Brosnan was excellent.

Latest Threads