Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Kirkz

LE
Would it be worth it with a surround sound system, or would I still be thinking bah humbug?
Just don't bother, it isn't worth it if some paid you to see it and supplied the beer and popcorn.

NSP

LE
Would it be worth it with a surround sound system, or would I still be thinking bah humbug?
It's a mad premise. As someone posted the other day; if the aliens are blind and lacking opposable thumbs how in the name of all that's holy did they develop interstellar travel to come to Earth in the first place...?

Kirkz

LE
It's a mad premise. As someone posted the other day; if the aliens are blind and lacking opposable thumbs how in the name of all that's holy did they develop interstellar travel to come to Earth in the first place...?
Perhaps the Daleks helped them.

NSP

LE
Slaughterhouse Rulez. Again. Plain unadulterated silliness for a bit of amusement and escapism.

Ninja Assassin. Bit slow, bit weird. Lots of runny-jumpy-punchy-kicky-slicey stuff. Oh, and Naomi Harris...

Recorded from Talking Pictures.

I watched it because I wanted to see a film with Peter Vaughan as the Lead (there are some familiar faces from the period among the cast and a few who have fallen into obscurity). Its described as a crime drama but it's more like a TV pilot for a Midsommer Murders type thing but centered on an Insurance Investigator. I assume it was intended as a supporting feature.

No laugh out loud bits but there is a certain amount of humour. There is a running gag about how tight Vaugahans character is (he's obsessed with his expenses) that may have been intended as a red herring. There is a good exchange between Vaughan and Derek Guyler as the former buys information from the latter as cheaply as possible, "Are you sure you can afford it Sir?".

Slime

LE
The boys from Brazil was mentioned recently.
I had a quick look at its plot and rating score and noted the film received poor reviews when it was first in cinemas.
It was said that many critics seemed to dislike Gregory Peck playing a ‘baddy’.

I watched the film tonight and founds it pretty poor, nothing to do with Gregory Peck, just a poor and far fetched plot.

On a more positive note, I’ve started re watching ’The sandbaggers’ tv shows and think they are pretty good. As a roughly spy/SIS drama it’s even more compelling watching than ‘Sleepers’ imho.

Slime

LE
I tried to watch Buck Rogers tonight. Not the ‘80s show but the 1939 original version.
I gave up after ten minutes as it was basically just Flash Gordon with a few changes........but only a few :)
Same lead actor, same sound effects and many of the same ‘special’ effects.

''The Thomas Crown Affair"
( 1968 )

Steve McQueen
Faye Dunaway
Yaphet Kotto

I tried to watch Buck Rogers tonight. Not the ‘80s show but the 1939 original version.
I gave up after ten minutes as it was basically just Flash Gordon with a few changes........but only a few :)

Not even a biddy biddy biddy?

Last edited:

Slime

LE

jg505

War Hero
Hotel Artemis

Jodie Foster and Jeff Goldblum (small part).

A private hospital for wounded bad guys. Wounded criminals turn up during a riot, they're only admitted without weapons and with the rule they may not kill each other. Without going into too much details, it's not bad. You'll either love it or hate until the last five minutes, then you'll hate it: the ending doesn't match the dystopian story at all.

Ms Foster plays her role well, as should be expected from an actor of her talent; Jeff Goldblm plays his usual self.
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed Hotel Artemis until, like you say, the ending.

I thought Ms Foster's depiction of 'Nurse', was brilliant. I've not seen her in any films lately and had forgotten just what an accomplished actor she is.

NSP

LE
That reminds me of the 1971 "Raid on Rommel" which is basically the 1967 "Tobruk" re-cut with some extra scenes for Richard Burton's close-ups.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
This is an absolute gem of a filum, although it’s more of a documentary cum drama. I can highly recommend it, not only because it’s a true story, but it also features the man himself in the “documentary” part. And the title really is no exaggeration:

On 26 September 1983, the computers in the Serpukhov-15 bunker outside Moscow, which housed the command center of the Soviet early warning satellite system, twice reported that U.S. intercontinental ballistic missiles were heading toward the Soviet Union. Stanislav Petrov, who was duty officer that night, suspected that the system was malfunctioning and managed to convince his superiors of the same thing. He argued that if the U.S. was going to attack pre-emptively it would do so with more than just five missiles and that it was best to wait for ground radar confirmation before launching a counter-attack.

Stanislav Petrov is the sort of person who really should be recommended for the Nobel Peace Prize!

Enjoy!

MsG

Edited to add. The only real "complaint" I have is the reversal of "R" in the word world to make it look a bit more "Russian". The reverse "R" is actually a Russian vowel and is pronounced "YA".

Last edited:
Stanislav Petrov is the sort of person who really should be recommended for the Nobel Peace Prize!
At the time it would have been most unlikely but that would have been seen as admitting to systemic errors, failures and blundering. The Worker's Paradise had to be perfect, otherwise it wouldn't be Paradise; it'd be more like the other place ... Oh wait!

However it's a bit late. Unless you can be awarded a posthumous Nobel

jg505

War Hero
Just watched 'Lucky Number Slevin' for the umpteenth time......I absolutely love it.

If you've never seen it, watch it. Stick with it, great story..........

I've just watched V for Vendetta. Since today is the 5th of November I thought that it was appropriate, especially since today is the first day of a new lockdown.

Civil war in America, 100,000 dead from a man made virus, a police state in Britain with massive restrictions on civil liberties and a curfew. If it wasn't for a bloke in a Guy Fawkes mask who wants to blow up Parliament on Bonfire Night it could almost be a current affairs documentary. Perhaps someone should have made Boris Johnson watch it as a warning.

pinback2001

RIP
RIP
Watched "After The Flames: An Apocalypse Anthology" last night.
A collection of 7 short films depicting different views on the end of days.
I didn't really know what to expect, but found it riveting

Latest Threads