Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

The King on Netflix.

Owes nothing to Shakespeare or history but is very watchable indeed.

Despite looking like a medieval Marc Almond the protagonist does a good job of things but the standout role belonged to Joel Egerton as Falstaff.
That guy turns up in some diverse roles but nails it each time.

The brutal melee in the mud at Agincourt was superbly filmed and you couldn't help a grin of satisfaction when the Dauphin met his end at the hands of the common soldiery as he slipped about in the mud.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, as you say the battle sequence of Agincourt ....
Mud Mud and more mud if you missed it!

As it was rubbish weather The Ice Cold in Alex dvd went on , one of the memorable films of my boyhood,Dad was RAOC and the film was a firm favourite of his , and each time we watched it he would point out the Land Rover the Morris minor and the Hudson saloon car in the background of the final shots of the film.
I swear those frames were more faded due to the projector getting stopped to point these out.
Still have the film on 16mm reels.

I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of “Bloodshot” starring the presumably award winning biceps of Vincent Diesel.
To put it in context, I once watched a gibbon attempting to fcuk a deflated plastic football from a hotel balcony in Bangalore for 26 minutes before I got bored.
8/10 would recommend.

Are they 17” biceps though?

Correct and several other " Stars " from the era in which it was made .

Just seen some very subtle blending of actual film footage and new ... when a German vehicle is attacked ... petrol bombed and a burnt German Officer make shis way back to his HQ .

What astounds me is how were they able to film vast outdoor scenes in Paris streets virtually empty of vehicles ... long before CGI .
The petrol bombs out of the window original footage was blatantly nicked fotr the final battle in Saving Private Ryan when the spg gets taken out.

As it was rubbish weather The Ice Cold in Alex dvd went on , one of the memorable films of my boyhood,Dad was RAOC and the film was a firm favourite of his , and each time we watched it he would point out the Land Rover the Morris minor and the Hudson saloon car in the background of the final shots of the film.
I swear those frames were more faded due to the projector getting stopped to point these out.

The film was filmed in pre-Gaddafi Libya. Those final scenes were filmed in Tripoli.

The film was filmed in pre-Gaddafi Libya. Those final scenes were filmed in Tripoli.

Excuse the self quote but I’ve just found the building in the final scene...

TamH70

MIA
The last half-hour or so of the original "Halloween" movie, with Jamie Lee Curtis and her amazing set of shirt puppies, and the Shape, a.k.a. Michael Myers, displaying an awesomely wide range of close combat killing techniques.

It probably would have been pish without John Carpenter's self-penned music for the soundtrack.

Prior to that, I watched a documentary on PBS about the famous killer outlaw couple, Bill and Hillary, I mean Bonnie and Clyde. Members of both the Parker and Barrow family showed up, as well as the son of one of the Sherrif's deputies who got the bastards. It showed just how much a pair of scum the couple were, but also gave an insight into what let that scummitude out, to the misfortune of a large number of America's Southern states.

jg505

War Hero
I enjoyed it, I like true stories and before l watched the film I watched some of the interviews with the 3 Americans involved and they said that the film portrayed the exact way things had happened. I think it’s like many true stories - if you didn’t know that it was true you wouldn’t have believed it.....there was some extraordinary bravery shown and a case of the right person being in the right place at the right time. The terrorist had 300 rounds of ammunition, many lives were saved by the actions of 3 young men who had been friends since school and had not had the easiest of childhoods. Well worth a watch on a rainy Sunday IMHO.
Well I watched it last night. Yeah, the acting wasn't brilliant at times, but what do you expect when it's the actual guys playing themselves.

Tough childhoods, but decents kids, and Spencer's set backs, whilst trying to join up, must have been hard on him.

End of the day, the fight scene, I'm assuming, was spot on. Talk about bravery, charging a guy who's pointing an AK47 at you, at almost point blank range.

Glad I watched it :)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Rogue City. Based in Marseille but in English. Think of Braquo without the subtitles and the smoking.
Lots of shouting and shooting on netflix

I've just watched this;

It's fifty years old and I haven't watched it since it was in the cinema. It's excellent in a weird, manic sort of way.

Caught the last 20 minutes of "Is Paris Burning?" Hopefully it will come around again soon.
As ever I was surprised to see almost empty streets in Paris to facilitate the filming.

Watched this over the weekend (we only have Freeview) . . .

Green Zone
is a 2010 action thriller film[2] directed by Paul Greengrass. The storyline was conceived from a screenplay written by Brian Helgeland, based on a 2006 non-fiction book Imperial Life in the Emerald City by journalist Rajiv Chandrasekaran. The book documented life within the Green Zone in Baghdad during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[3]

The key players in the film are General Mohammed Al-Rawi (Yigal Naor), who is hiding in Baghdad during the invasion of Iraq and U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer Roy Miller (Matt Damon), a Mobile Exploitation Team (MET) leader who is searching for Iraqi weapons of mass destruction (WMD). Miller finds that the majority of the intel given to him is inaccurate. Miller's efforts to find the true story about the weapons are blocked by U.S. Department of Defense official Clark Poundstone (Greg Kinnear). The cast also features Brendan Gleeson, Amy Ryan, Khalid Abdalla and Jason Isaacs.

Remarkable!! Not just your usual “shoot-‘em-up”, although there was plenty of that.

The story line was complicated, with US forces DELIBERATELY shooting other Departments’ US Forces . . . all for the “greater good”, of MISLEADING the World (and Tony Blair), about the existence of WMD.

The key figure, and U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer Roy Miller (Matt Damon), was as confused as me . . . not realising until well into the film . . . the duplicity, outright lies, being propagated, and protected, by U.S. Department of Defense official Clark Poundstone (Greg Kinnear).

Noteworthy, that the whole chaotic, disorganised, often criticised, legacy of in-fighting, and jockeying for position, power, and influence, was NOT what had been envisioned by Martin Brown (Brendan Gleeson), the CIA Baghdad bureau chief, loosely based on (and, with a remarkable likeness to), Jay Garner. The CIA plan being to work with the Government “structures” that were inherited . . . and then subsequently reform them.

In light of the disastrous lack of post-war “nation building”, I am left wondering if the actual policy of U.S. President George W. Bush, the White House, and the U.S. Department of Defense official Clark Poundstone (Greg Kinnear), was to deliberately leave the place in a state of disunity and confusion, with what intention . . . other than ensuring Iraq could not/would not - ever - repair itself.

[POSTED THIS BEFORE LUNCH TIME, AND THEN . . . JUST WATCHED AN INTERVIEW ON RT, WITH SOME UK BLOKE LIVING IN/FROM SYRIA, STATING THE DELIBERATE USA POLICY OF LEAVING BEHIND DISORGANISED CHAOS THROUGHOUT THE MIDDLE EAST, IS TO THE BENEFIT OF, FOR THE ADVANTAGE OF, THE USA ECONOMY !!]

Surprised to just have read . . . Filming: Production of Green Zone was originally slated to begin in late 2007.[14] Instead, it began at the Los Alcázares Air Base in Spain[20] on January 10, 2008,[6] moved to Morocco, and finished filming in the UK in December 2008 . . . . Not having served in the Middle East, I do not know if it was realistic, but it was sufficiently so for me.

Last edited:
Watched this last night (we only have Freeview) . . .

Mercury Rising is a 1998 American action thriller film starring Bruce Willis and Alec Baldwin. Directed by Harold Becker, the movie is based on Ryne Douglas Pearson's 1996 novel originally published as Simple Simon, which was the working title of the film. Willis plays Art Jeffries, an undercover FBI agent who protects a nine-year-old autistic boy, Simon Lynch (played by Miko Hughes), who is targeted by government assassins after he cracks a top secret government code . . .

The film was released on April 3, 1998. It received mostly negative reviews and grossed $93 million at the box office.

I do not know why professional reviewers would have given this "mostly negative reviews" ?!

I had not intended to watch this . . . preferring an early night . . . but do not regret the 2 hrs indulgence.

Whilst I would prefer to imagine it would NOT happen, it is not too difficult to believe that “The NSA, under Kudrow's direction” . . . would decide the protection of a secret code (and, the thousands of Service Operatives’ lives that it safe-guarded), was worth eliminating the 6-8 “civilians” he authorised :( .

Last edited:
Love that film. Fancied Sylvia Sims ever since I first saw it as a nipper in the 70s, a dream that sadly died when I saw her play the Queen Mother alongside Helen Mirren in The Queen.

I too noticed them last week and for the first time when it was shown again on TV .... so much for the " Trained Eyeball " .... I have seen the film many times

Kirkz

LE
I watched A Quiet Place last night on film 4.
Wish I hadn't bothered.

The Man Who Knew Too Much, a Hitchcock film I've managed to miss so far

I enjoyed it anyway, I just never knew Doris Day appeared in a Hitchcock film

I'd watch it again, IMDB seems to have about right on this one

Definitely worth a punt, I just hope Michael Bay never gets to do a remake

I watched A Quiet Place last night on film 4.
Wish I hadn't bothered.

Would it be worth it with a surround sound system, or would I still be thinking bah humbug?

Latest Threads