Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

tiger stacker

On ROPS
On ROPs
The Birdman of Alcatraz, a sympathetic portrayal of a rather violent man. It does show that life means life, i had to google the prison he went to from the rock.

BigT

LE
See The Trial of the Chicago 7 for an example thereof.

Normally I can't stick the guy but he does a good job in that one.

I'd posted about the Trial of the Chicago Seven last week, I thought Sacha Baron Cohan was really good. A couple of days before I saw the film I'd watched a doco about the 60's on one of the cable channels that featured the trial and had this clip of Abi Hoffman, Cohan got him spot on :

I watched A Quiet Place, about a family surviving in a world taken over by sightless aliens with incredible hearing. It started Emily Blunt and some other people. But mostly Emily Blunt.

BigT

LE
I watched A Quiet Place, about a family surviving in a world taken over by sightless aliens with incredible hearing. It started Emily Blunt and some other people. But mostly Emily Blunt.

It wasn't a bad film but fifteen minutes in I was thinking that an ice-cream van and a load of claymores, job jobbed.

I've just finished watching this:

I can't say that I enjoyed watching it, although it was well produced and effective.

Something a bit more cheerful next, I think.

Danger close: the battle of Long Tan. Netflix

1966 anzacs in Vietnam.

gripping. One company took on 2,000 north Vietnamese. 18 dead. RIP.

NSP

LE
The new Borat thing, since it's included with Prime.

Much funnier than the first one. Then again, it is apparently scripted, so...

The pregnancy pastor was a hoot. Bible-bashers, eh??

It wasn't a bad film but fifteen minutes in I was thinking that an ice-cream van and a load of claymores, job jobbed.

My daughter had an interesting question, assuming the sightless aliens grew to be that way as they evolved in darkness, how the hell did they become aware of a wider universe.
Nevermind build ships to get them here.
I thought it was shìte myself.

NSP

LE
My daughter had an interesting question, assuming the sightless aliens grew to be that way as they evolved in darkness, how the hell did they become aware of a wider universe.
Arrange your daughters PhD immediately.

Doctor of Nail/Head Interface is a given.

I bet I'm not the only tech degree holder and 21st century tech savvy person on here who didn't see that concept for the trees in that plotline.

Biggish

Swinger
I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of “Bloodshot” starring the presumably award winning biceps of Vincent Diesel.
To put it in context, I once watched a gibbon attempting to fcuk a deflated plastic football from a hotel balcony in Bangalore for 26 minutes before I got bored.
8/10 would recommend.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Eye in the Sky - Helen Mirren, Alan Rickman. About drones used for remote missile strikes.
Also contains the wranglings of whether its legal, with in-house lawyers and such saying its not allowed.
Havent actually finished watching it yet but puts the chain of command into context, with the political and legal aspects always being the driver to the military aspect.
Oh and a bit of bleeding heart in there too - the operator can see a little girl playing in the strike area. He delays the strike to see if she can be moved away to safety...

TamH70

MIA
I have just finished watching "How To Train Your Dragon". Otherwise known as the antidote to all the shit animation that Disney has brought out in the last twenty years.

Jay Baruchel as Hiccup, Gerald Butler as Stoick the Vast, and a dragon that couldn't be more than a very big cat that has wings and spits fire if it tried - oh, and John Powell's soundtrack is one of the best in animation picture history.

Currently watching " Is Paris Burning " ... intriguing film which I have seen before about the liberation of Paris ... as the Germans plan to destroy it ... TalkingPicture TV Channel .... 3 hours duration ... but certainly not boring .... moves at a pace .

Last edited:
I believe that's the one where Kirk Douglas plays General Patton.
Correct and several other " Stars " as well from the era in which it was made .

Just seen some very subtle blending of actual film footage and new ... when a German vehicle is attacked ... petrol bombed and a burnt German Officer make shis way back to his HQ .

What astounds me is how were they able to film vast outdoor scenes in Paris streets virtually empty of vehicles ... long before CGI .

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Just binged all three The Expendables films. Sticking the last Transporter movie on now (the Ed Skrein one - there's only so much Statham a man can take in one day).

Last edited:

You'll be pleased to know then that Number 2 was ready for release when Covid hit, Ms. Blunt was already doing the pre-publicity rounds of the talky shows here - release cancelled for the foreseeable. Her husband, that Jack Ryan bloke off @mazon, directs both films.

The King on Netflix.

Owes nothing to Shakespeare or history but is very watchable indeed.

Despite looking like a medieval Marc Almond the protagonist does a good job of things but the standout role belonged to Joel Egerton as Falstaff.
That guy turns up in some diverse roles but nails it each time.

The brutal melee in the mud at Agincourt was superbly filmed and you couldn't help a grin of satisfaction when the Dauphin met his end at the hands of the common soldiery as he slipped about in the mud.

Latest Threads