Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

As recommended up thread, I've just enjoyed watching this:

Poppy

LE
As recommended up thread, I've just enjoyed watching this:

absolutely one of my favourite films ever :) (along with Pimpernel Smith and Went the Day well)

kalliste

Clanker
This should resonate with anyone who's been in the forces:

HE117

LE
I don’t think they were tracer in the way we use that term today.

IIRC there was a special kind of incendiary round developed for use on balloons. Unfortunately I can’t remember what it was called.

Luckily we have someone who knows about these things:

Paging @HE117
You Rang...? Ah .303 Tracers.! (Lights pipe and eases slippers...)

There were many of these.. tracers, incendiaries, explosive bullets and specific anti Zep rounds...
The first tracer for .303 was developed just before WW1 and was the:

Cartridge, SA,Tracer, .303- inch, Mark 1. L

It was approved in 1914 and introduced the following year. It was not particularly successful due to insufficient light and too short a trace. It was replaced in Dec 1917 by the

Cartridge, SA,Tracer, SPK, .303- inch, Mark IIT. L

This was a solid gilding metal bullet with a hole drilled for the tracer compound. This worked well, but was difficult to manufacture. The code "SPK" was allegedly for "Prana Sparklet Works" and they were known to the troops as Sparklets. It was replaced by:

Cartridge, SA,Tracer, SPG, .303-inch, Mark VIIT. L

Which was the Mk1 design with a larger tracer pellet. These became the standard .303 tracer for the next 20 years, and was the basis of the design to the end of the .303 era. .303 tracer did not have a coloured tip. The bullets were usually nickel jacketed and had a red varnish annulus around the primer.

Incendiary bullets were designed by a Mr J F Buckingham of Coventry for the RNAS. There were several marks:

Cartridge, SA,INCENDIARY, .303-inch, B Mark I

This was a round nosed cupro nickel jacket filled with a mixture of WP and aluminium powder sealed with a lead disc in the base. There was a small hole just forward of the lead disk to allow the WP to escape. This was originally introduced as a day tracer round, but was found to be useful for setting balloons on fire. The bullet was not however very ballistically stable and an improved, pointed version with a larger base plug replaced it, the propellant was also switched from Cordite to NC powder (...hence the Z) :

Cartridge, SA,INCENDIARY, .303-inch, B Mark IIZ. A.

The final version of the Buckingham Incendiary had a flat nose to punch a clean hole in the gas bag. The hole made by the Mk II had a tendency to close up. For some reason, the propellant was switched back to Cordite!

Cartridge, SA,INCENDIARY, .303-inch, B Mark III.. A.

In addition to the straight incendiary rounds, there were a series of less publicised Explosive rounds produced to attack Zeppelins. The first of these was the "Special Brock Zeppelin Bullet" in 1916:

Cartridge, SA,BALL, B.I.K., .303-inch, (VIIK), Mark I. CA.

This was a round nosed, hollow point bullet with the cavity filled with an explosive charge with a detonating topping. They were called in and destroyed in 1918.

The next design was produced by Mr J Pomeroy and was produced in 1917:

Cartridge, SA,BALL, P.S.A., .303-inch, Mark I.

The Pomeroy bullet consisted of a Cupro Nickel jacket with a lead base. The forward part of the bullet held a copper tube containing 75% Guhr dynamite. This was followed later in 1917 by the Mk II:

Cartridge, SA,BALL, P.S.A., .303-inch, (VIIAA), Mark II.

This had an improved explosive capsule filled with 73% NG and sodium nitrate with a lead ball in the base to improve sensitivity!

The final entry into this group was another flat nose design by Sir Richard Threlfall, which contained, in addition to the explosive nose, a WP filled base!

Cartridge, SA,BALL, R.T.S., .303-inch, Mark II.

What is interesting is that these rounds were all designated "BALL" and there is no hint of their slightly more exciting (and potentially illegal!) properties in the title! They must have been frighteningly dangerous to store, handle and use!

Borat Sunsequent Moviefilm.

A so-so film, I preferred his vignettes on the Ali G show, winding it into a narrative for a film doesn't hit the mark. The only funny bits of Borat are when he's being the awkward foreigner with people who need to be laughed at. The lady playing his daughter sold it beautifully though, we'll be seeing more of her.

It then builds politically and becomes a political hit piece and Rudolph Guiliani gave them the bullets to fire. The first time I watched it my chin hit the floor, then I rewatched it and almost felt sorry for the ******.

Talk about entrapment.
He was played like fiddle and got maneouvred right into the trap.

I don’t think they were tracer in the way we use that term today.

IIRC there was a special kind of incendiary round developed for use on balloons. Unfortunately I can’t remember what it was called.

Luckily we have someone who knows about these things:

Paging @HE117
Also used was a US made Colt M1915 British Vickers rechambered for French 11mm (11x59R) Gras cartridge, aka (11mm Vickers)

pooky

Old-Salt
The 15:17 to Paris, on Netflix, is the story of the terrorist attack on a train from Amsterdam to Paris in 2015. I almost gave up with it because the beginning of the film used flashbacks and I don’t like them, but I’m glad I stuck with it. The unusual thing about the film was that many of the characters were played by the people themselves and not by actors - the 3 Americans and the English man who helped to restrain the terrorist, the passenger who was shot and the French police and doctors who attended the scene all played themselves.

BigT

LE
Borat Sunsequent Moviefilm.

A so-so film, I preferred his vignettes on the Ali G show, winding it into a narrative for a film doesn't hit the mark. The only funny bits of Borat are when he's being the awkward foreigner with people who need to be laughed at. The lady playing his daughter sold it beautifully though, we'll be seeing more of her.

It then builds politically and becomes a political hit piece and Rudolph Guiliani gave them the bullets to fire. The first time I watched it my chin hit the floor, then I rewatched it and almost felt sorry for the ******.

Talk about entrapment.
He was played like fiddle and got maneouvred right into the trap.

I found some of the bits between Borat and his daughter quite touching and I agree Maria Bakalova was a stand out. To be fair I laughed as much as I cringed to a point where I had to look away during the dad and daughter dance at the debutants ball. I wouldn't say it built up to a political hit job as given it's title that was the whole premise of the film. I'm torn between feeling sorry for some of the real people in the film and thinking they got what they deserved. The Republican woman's group seemed really kind hearted while the Pastor and the MAGA/Q Anon types at the rally singing "chop them up like the Saudi's do" in a song chorus about journalists were fair game. They all had to give their permission for their images to to be used hence the blurring of some faces.

As for the the scene with Rudy Giuliani, regardless of the hand down the pants bit, if it had been a male journalist I wonder if he would have been so amenable into going into the bedroom for drinks, asked for an address and phone number or patted his lower back. Maybe he's spent too much time being shmoozed in the Ukraine to see a red flag. While it may have been editing I got the impression that he interrupted them a bit early as it looked like it was going down hill fast and he had to ensure the actors safety. Regardless I have no sympathy for him, given how he's thrown himself at the media over the last few years he made himself fair game.

I like Borat but I hope this is the last we see of him as Sacha Baron Cohan is actually a really good straight actor, the film was mildly amusing and passed the time but I wouldn't give it a second watch.

Last edited:

jg505

War Hero
The 15:17 to Paris, on Netflix, is the story of the terrorist attack on a train from Amsterdam to Paris in 2015. I almost gave up with it because the beginning of the film used flashbacks and I don’t like them, but I’m glad I stuck with it. The unusual thing about the film was that many of the characters were played by the people themselves and not by actors - the 3 Americans and the English man who helped to restrain the terrorist, the passenger who was shot and the French police and doctors who attended the scene all played themselves.
I've been umming and arring over this film. Is it worth watching?

jg505

War Hero
On the whole Borat subject, I really don't like the films......if a film is too cringy, i get so uncomfortable with it, that i just can't watch it.

The Dictator though, i found absolutely hilarious...the helicopter scene was just brilliant, "Who's being a lacist now?". Genius :)

pooky

Old-Salt
I've been umming and arring over this film. Is it worth watching?

I enjoyed it, I like true stories and before l watched the film I watched some of the interviews with the 3 Americans involved and they said that the film portrayed the exact way things had happened. I think it’s like many true stories - if you didn’t know that it was true you wouldn’t have believed it.....there was some extraordinary bravery shown and a case of the right person being in the right place at the right time. The terrorist had 300 rounds of ammunition, many lives were saved by the actions of 3 young men who had been friends since school and had not had the easiest of childhoods. Well worth a watch on a rainy Sunday IMHO.

NSP

LE
Sacha Baron Cohan is actually a really good straight actor
See The Trial of the Chicago 7 for an example thereof.

Normally I can't stick the guy but he does a good job in that one.

On the whole Borat subject, I really don't like the films......if a film is too cringy, i get so uncomfortable with it, that i just can't watch it.

The Dictator though, i found absolutely hilarious...the helicopter scene was just brilliant, "Who's being a lacist now?". Genius :)

Win!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Any one calls me a poofta and I’m off.

The wife wanted to watch Rebecca last night on Netflix, well fair enough she puts up with me watching football golf and cricket, so I agreed and bagged some browny points.
Well bugger me I thoroughly enjoyed it. A good story with the leading lady been very easy on the eye, it would have got a ten had the little minx got, well you know what I mean;), sadly she didn’t.

The wife just commented on the above...and I quote “But wasn’t it nice to see a romantic story without tits everywhere”.

I won’t say what I said but yet again she shook her head and walked back to the kitchen.

I liked the Hitchcock film of Rebecca, I can't imagine a modern remake would be so watchable, especially if as you say the leading lady doesn't get her tits out

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I liked the Hitchcock film of Rebecca, I can't imagine a modern remake would be so watchable, especially if as you say the leading lady doesn't get her tits out
I just read your post to the wife, she has also watched the Hitchcock film and like you really enjoyed it.