Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

TamH70

MIA
I've just watched this on Netflix . . .

. . . and really enjoyed it.

Synopsis:
True story of Ashraf Marwan, who was President Nasser's son-in-law and special adviser and confidant to his successor Anwar Sadat - while simultaneously Israeli Intelligence's most precious asset of the 20th century. Based on NYT bestselling book 'The Angel: The Egyptian Spy Who Saved Israel' by Uri Bar-Joseph.

Miki Leon who played a Mossad operator in False Flag makes an appearance as . . . a Mossad operator.

I read something about that Marwan guy a few years ago in a book called something along the lines of Great Military Intelligence Blunders - in which it was pretty clearly stated that he was a triple agent whose main loyalties were for the Egyptians, and he did the Israelis up like a kipper before the kick-off of the Yom Kippur War in 1973. Far from saving the Israelis, he nearly cost them their existence.

TamH70

MIA
Just watched Le Mans 66 on Sky, probably already mentioned on here but I thought I’d mention it too. A very good film, you’ve got to remember though, that although it’s based on true events, there is a lot of Hollywood BS and poetic licence, don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story seems to be the order of the day here.
However, once you get passed that, the story is a good one, Matt Damon as the great racer, car designer and Cobra god, Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale as Ken Miles, the awesome British mechanic and driver, works really well on screen and there is obvious chemistry between them, as demonstrated in the wrestle they have on the lawn outside Ken’s house, to good comic affect.
I love Bale’s portrayal of Ken Miles, gobby Brit who’s seen it and done it all, kicking back against the system and the rule book, great stuff, I’d love to think the real Ken Miles was like that. The race scenes are gripping and the ups and downs of getting the Ford GT40 to Le Mans makes for good watching, as does the rivalry between Henry Ford 2nd and Enzo Ferrari.
On the whole well worth a watch, especially if, like me, you love powerful cars and everything petrol headed.

Apparently, Ken Miles WAS like that, at least according to this video from Aidan Millward about the chap:

Yes I’ve seen A Canterbury Tale as well, probably a few months back. Enjoyed that too.

Mentioning that, I remember a BBC TV series using the idea of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales in a modern setting. Not the 2003 series, but during the 70s, this time it was a minibus full of fans of mixed characters on their way to see a rugby match, in Canterbury of course. I can’t find any references to it, but I’m sure it had Brian Sugden in it IIRC, as well as other well known actors and actresses, a title we could use at the time.

Could be false memory, but I recall avidly following the tales each told during the journey. It will probably be a bit dated now, but at the time I enjoyed watching it.

Enjoy The Small Back Room when you get it. I think that was the UK title for the film.

E2A: whoops, Brian Glover, not Brian Sugden. Doh.

Finally watched my DVD of " The Small Back Room " and really enjoyed it . Early into the film when it was revealed children had been killed by moving a new type of German Bomb ... I wrongly thought it was going to be about the " Butterfly Bomb " ... my sisters were at school during WW2 and had been warned about the dangers of those Bombs .

Last edited:
I read something about that Marwan guy a few years ago in a book called something along the lines of Great Military Intelligence Blunders - in which it was pretty clearly stated that he was a triple agent whose main loyalties were for the Egyptians, and he did the Israelis up like a kipper before the kick-off of the Yom Kippur War in 1973. Far from saving the Israelis, he nearly cost them their existence.

Given that this source is undoubtedly biased:

the author (and others) suggest that Marwan's product was too harmful to Egypt for it to be a XXX.

TamH70

MIA
Given that this source is undoubtedly biased:

the author (and others) suggest that Marwan's product was too harmful to Egypt for it to be a XXX.

I see him more along the lines of John Smith in "Where Eagles Dare", but I'm not sure anyone will really ever know. I personally think he's more guilty of being a triple agent than a puppy next to a pile of poo.

Finally watched my DVD of " The Small Back Room " and really enjoyed it . Early into the film when it was revealed children had been killed by moving a new type of German Bomb ... I wrongly thought it was going to be about the " Butterfly Bomb " ... my sisters were at school during WW2 and had been warned about the dangers of those Bombs .

Glad you enjoyed it.

And phew, also glad I wasn't praising what you thought was a dud which you had wasted your money on.

syrup

LE

It's been doing the rounds on talking pictures the last few weeks

As has Danger UXB

It's been doing the rounds on talking pictures the last few weeks

As has Danger UXB

Must have missed it ... I quite enjoy Talking Pictures Channel ... as has been posted before essentially a family run Business .... almost run from a " Shed " ... one thing for certain they got there Business Model right ... I am sure they bought up the rights for hundreds of such films for a bargain price . Many are are from when I was a youngster and I have not seen them for years . The Channel can be Deja Vu on speed .

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably for the Old and Bold ... last night I watched by chance “ North by North West “ … another Hitchcock classic …. made famous for the closing scenes on Mount Rushmore and memorable to me for the light aircraft crop dusting scene .

A good spy thriller using then class actors including Cary Grant , James Mason and Eve Marie Saint .

I enjoyed it even although to me some of the scenes were obviously shot internally with an external back drop .... however enjoyable escapism from the current world problems .

Hitchcock made his traditional cameo appearance in the film … watch to find where .

Taster ....

Have you watched Rear Window? Another Hitchcock classic with the beautiful Grace Kelly and James Stewart. I love the old Hitchcock films, the actors just act and don’t need so called wonderful special effects.

Have you watched Rear Window? Another Hitchcock classic with the beautiful Grace Kelly and James Stewart. I love the old Hitchcock films, the actors just act and don’t need so called wonderful special effects.

Indeed I have but some years ago .... I have also watched " The Detectives " ( Jasper Carrot and Robert Powell ) successful comedy interpretation of the same tale .
I suppose I became aware of Hitchcock in the 1960's with his film Psycho ... normally at that time if you went to the Cinema you could buy a ticket and enter whenever during the matinee , early / later evening performances .... Psycho was probably the first where Cinemas introduced a practice whereby you had to queue to watch from the start of the film ... to maximise the terror scenes .

Last edited:
Indeed I have but some years ago .... I have also watched " The Detectives " ( Jasper Carrot and Robert Powell ) successful comedy interpretation of the same tale .
I suppose I became aware of Hitchcock in the 1960's with his film Psycho ... normally at that time if you went to the Cinema you could buy a ticket and enter whenever during the matinee / evening performance .... Psycho was probably the first where Cinemas introduced a practice whereby you had to queue to watch from the start of the film ... to maximise the terror scenes .
I've only ever watched one Hitchcock film in its entirety and that's North by Northwest.

sunny james

War Hero
Honest Thief staring Liam Neeson.
So so formulaic action thriller just out on the big screen where is should do OK considering the lack of alternative movies out there.
I wouldn't have paid to see it but had free tickets. I preferred his previous offerings like Taken though fortunately I've not seen Cold Pursuit yet.

NSP

LE
I preferred his previous offerings like Taken though fortunately I've not seen Cold Pursuit yet.
It's a (poor) remake of the Skandi-noir "In Order of Disappearance."

Put up with subtitles and watch the excellent Stellan Skarsgård original, instead. He's also excellent in "Chernobyl" as the party man that realises ideology doesn't defeat fact and noticeably changes in attitude in the face of Legasov's calmly delivered nuclear physics lessons.

One of his sons plays the sergeant in Generation Kill, and proves that the apple does not fall far from the tree.

The late Bruno Ganz, who played Adolf so well in "Downfall" is in IOoD, too.

Must have missed it ... I quite enjoy Talking Pictures Channel ... as has been posted before essentially a family run Business .... almost run from a " Shed " ... one thing for certain they got there Business Model right ... I am sure they bought up the rights for hundreds of such films for a bargain price . Many are are from when I was a youngster and I have not seen them for years . The Channel can be Deja Vu on speed .
Talking Pictures is imho the Exchange and Mart of TV channels: everything you thought you'd never need but actually do.
One small suggestion: play Tom and Jerry cartoons in those awkward gaps, the potential advertisers will love it.

I watched that Sam Mendezes film '1917' last night on netflix.
I stuck with it hoping it would get better..it didn't.
The story was all over the place.
A general decided not to use the chain of command so directly discussed his plans with a l/cpl whom the general kept referring to as 'lance corporal'and the l/cpl addressing him as "General.
And I'm not sure about privates wearing wrist watches in the trenches.

jg505

War Hero
Just watched Rampage on Netflix.

Dwayne Johnson saves the world from a combination of King Kong, Godzilla and a Digby the biggest dog in the world sized wolf.

It was so bad, I couldn't stop watching it. That said, some of the jokes did make me chuckle and I quite liked Jeffrey Dean Morgan's cowboy characterised Government agent.

I watched that Sam Mendezes film '1917' last night on netflix.
I stuck with it hoping it would get better..it didn't.
The story was all over the place.
A general decided not to use the chain of command so directly discussed his plans with a l/cpl whom the general kept referring to as 'lance corporal'and the l/cpl addressing him as "General.
And I'm not sure about privates wearing wrist watches in the trenches.
I thought it was good, but hardly the masterpiece that it was made out to be.

That reminded me so I gave it another watch last night. Still as cracking as the first time I saw it. The idealistic naivete of the lad...

Also made me wonder when someone had the bright idea of having his armourer go through the belt and pull every fifth round out and replace it with a tracer. Could just be the effects department being lazy, though, as Gresham says the balloon attackers will be loaded with tracer and not one streak of light could be seen in the long shots of them firing into the balloons.

I don’t think they were tracer in the way we use that term today.

IIRC there was a special kind of incendiary round developed for use on balloons. Unfortunately I can’t remember what it was called.

Luckily we have someone who knows about these things:

Paging @HE117

Latest Threads