Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Transformers (something something - can't remember the title) they ended up in Egypt. Storyline not really existent and some dreadful acting, but I stuck with it after seeing the CGI effects. Very, very good work from all those involved.

1603044189170.png

Aces High based on R.C.Sherrifs Journeys End but rather than situated in the WW1 trenches the location is the AFC and their bi-planes. Same style of character interaction and class challenge but not as emotionally impacting as the book or the first film adaptation. Still, Sunday night and all...

Aces High based on R.C.Sherrifs Journeys End but rather than situated in the WW1 trenches the location is the AFC and their bi-planes. Same style of character interaction and class challenge but not as emotionally impacting as the book or the first film adaptation. Still, Sunday night and all...
I've seen Aces High loads of times. I never realised that it was Journeys End in planes, till I saw the BBC play from the eighties.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Transformers (something something - can't remember the title) they ended up in Egypt. Storyline not really existent and some dreadful acting, but I stuck with it after seeing the CGI effects. Very, very good work from all those involved.
Who really cares? :mrgreen:
1603046574354.png

ches

LE
The Gentleman. Guy Ritchies latest offering. A superb cast inc Hugh Grant in his best role yet imo. Proper hamming it up as a dodgy paparazzi/apprentice scumbag with a cracking accent - sure he was channeling Kingsley from sexy beast at times.
Usual Ritchie twists & turns & recommended. IP there with lock stock as one of his best.

NSP

LE
I've seen Aces High loads of times. I never realised that it was Journeys End in planes, till I saw the BBC play from the eighties.
That reminded me so I gave it another watch last night. Still as cracking as the first time I saw it. The idealistic naivete of the lad...

Also made me wonder when someone had the bright idea of having his armourer go through the belt and pull every fifth round out and replace it with a tracer. Could just be the effects department being lazy, though, as Gresham says the balloon attackers will be loaded with tracer and not one streak of light could be seen in the long shots of them firing into the balloons.

I've just watched another oldie but goodie, I can't believe I never saw it when it was first in the cinema - 1978.

Disturbing the Peace; a story about a wronged Texas Ranger turned town marshal who defends a small town against biker bank robbers. Guy Pierce stars in this trash. He must have been feeling generous/did it for free/was bored as it is utter shite,although it is enlivened by the eye candy known as,I kid you not, Barbi Blank, a retreaded WWE wrestler who appears to have more palstic in her face than an actual Barbie doll. To say that the acting is wooden is to insult trees. There are a few other plastic blondes in it, but they won't be gracing the Academy Awards any time soon.

Disturbing the Peace; a story about a wronged Texas Ranger turned town marshal who defends a small town against biker bank robbers. Guy Pierce stars in this trash. He must have been feeling generous/did it for free/was bored as it is utter shite,although it is enlivened by the eye candy known as,I kid you not, Barbi Blank, a retreaded WWE wrestler who appears to have more palstic in her face than an actual Barbie doll. To say that the acting is wooden is to insult trees. There are a few other plastic blondes in it, but they won't be gracing the Academy Awards any time soon.

Guy Pierce is a 'player'. He's turned up as Errol Flynn. G'wan go look for the film. He's an astounding actor, refusing to be branded. Despite the Hollywood allure, he's maintained his status as an actor.

This afternoon while 0A was around a mates, I watched “The King” on Netflix.
Yes this is Shakespeare’s HenryV and it’s bloody good, far better than Branner’s version from a few years ago. The Battle of Azincourt really is superb, the sky doesn’t go dark as in Laurence Olivier’s HenryV. But the mud! Oh the mud!
9/10.

An insult to trees, I'm nicking that.

Slime

LE
Last night I fancied some classic silent film so decided to watch my copy of Nosferatu. I got the projector out and a bowl of sweets and settled down to watch the 1922 classic.......................Only to discover I had the 1979 remake!
I gave up on that and watched Der Golem instead.
The film is pretty good for 1920 vintage, and while watching the film some of the special effects seemed pretty good for that era.

After watching the film I wondered what German audiences would have thought of the film at the time.

It portrayed the Jews as living in a ghetto and of being suspected of doing magic etc, so that’s par for the course. But many of the viewers would have been WW1 veterans, and bearing in mind they had first hand knowledge of the newly invented mechanised industrialised warfare I’m not sure just how scary this film would have been to them.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
The Trial of the Chicago 7 on t'Flix of Net. Fuckin' ninja!!
We watched it last evening, I'd seen a previous version based largely on the trial transcripts but Aaron Sorkin has added a bit more flair. It was a really good ensemble performance from the cast, I've not seen Sacha Baron Cohen in a dramatic role and he was surprisingly good as Abie Hoffman but Frank Langela's Judge Hoffman was brilliant, he was so good I wanted to punch him.
Agree on both but would also include Eddie Redmayne who played the Student Society Leader very well. A film worth watching.

Just watched this.

A fantastic film and a very complicated situation well told.

8 tear gas cannisters out of 10.

I've just watched this on Netflix . . .

. . . and really enjoyed it.

Synopsis:
True story of Ashraf Marwan, who was President Nasser's son-in-law and special adviser and confidant to his successor Anwar Sadat - while simultaneously Israeli Intelligence's most precious asset of the 20th century. Based on NYT bestselling book 'The Angel: The Egyptian Spy Who Saved Israel' by Uri Bar-Joseph.

Miki Leon who played a Mossad operator in False Flag makes an appearance as . . . a Mossad operator.

BigT

LE
I've just watched this on Netflix . . .

. . . and really enjoyed it.

Synopsis:
True story of Ashraf Marwan, who was President Nasser's son-in-law and special adviser and confidant to his successor Anwar Sadat - while simultaneously Israeli Intelligence's most precious asset of the 20th century. Based on NYT bestselling book 'The Angel: The Egyptian Spy Who Saved Israel' by Uri Bar-Joseph.

Miki Leon who played a Mossad operator in False Flag makes an appearance as . . . a Mossad operator.

It's one that I nearly missed because it's listed an International/ foreign film so flew under the RADAR but was really good, thankfully my daughter has the time to read the synopsis or watch films made outside of the US/UK and points out these gems to me.

It's one that I nearly missed because it's listed an International/ foreign film so flew under the RADAR but was really good, thankfully my daughter has the time to read the synopsis or watch films made outside of the US/UK and points out these gems to me.
Something I didn't mention was the attention to detail in getting scenes to look like London at the time. There is some obviously period footage cut in very well, including a shot of Heathrow with numerous BA (?) VC 10 aircraft. Not to mention the suits, hair and big 'taches.

kalliste

Clanker
Scott Adkins fans should check this one out. The Chinese bint whose lips steal show is a bonus.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Scott Adkins fans should check this one out. The Chinese bint whose lips steal show are a bonus.
Netflix or Amazon per chance?

Just watched Le Mans 66 on Sky, probably already mentioned on here but I thought I’d mention it too. A very good film, you’ve got to remember though, that although it’s based on true events, there is a lot of Hollywood BS and poetic licence, don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story seems to be the order of the day here.
However, once you get passed that, the story is a good one, Matt Damon as the great racer, car designer and Cobra god, Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale as Ken Miles, the awesome British mechanic and driver, works really well on screen and there is obvious chemistry between them, as demonstrated in the wrestle they have on the lawn outside Ken’s house, to good comic affect.
I love Bale’s portrayal of Ken Miles, gobby Brit who’s seen it and done it all, kicking back against the system and the rule book, great stuff, I’d love to think the real Ken Miles was like that. The race scenes are gripping and the ups and downs of getting the Ford GT40 to Le Mans makes for good watching, as does the rivalry between Henry Ford 2nd and Enzo Ferrari.
On the whole well worth a watch, especially if, like me, you love powerful cars and everything petrol headed.

Latest Threads